Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 »

Re: Did I Do the Right Thing
From Monessen, PA
Feel free to lash out, but before you do, take due note that:
(a) you are the one that refered to these people as "family friends" without providing the additional info you just shared; and
(b) in the future, if you don't want people to weigh in on whether you "did the right thing," maybe you shouldn't start a thread entitled "Did I Do The Right Thing."

Posted on: 2007/4/12 20:40

From Lewistown
1hook,
I agree, getting children interest is a good thing. However, having the children understand good fishing practices is just as important. Why bother teaching them if all we teach them is that we can do what ever we want without reprocussions because we are pompous white americans. Is dropping in 2 dozen fish and then yanking them out, meanwhile leaving out salmon egg and worm containers on the ground how you want your children to learn how to fish?

Posted on: 2007/4/12 20:41

From SE PA
I agree with Jack M. You did ask our opinion, sometimes it will be what you want to hear sometimes it won't. However from an ecology standpoint you probably did the right thing.

Posted on: 2007/4/12 20:54

From Other side of the tracks
Quote:

MKern wrote:
I think a lot of you misunderstood "old family friend" They are no longer close to the family...

We misunderstood "old family friend?" We misunderstood???!!! That sounds just like what the kids in your class would say, blaming someone else for their mistakes. Try this one next time. "I used a poor choice of words." There is a big difference. Yours blames everyone else. Mine takes responsibility. Now for our next lesson. Hey, that might sound mean, but I calls'm as I sees'm and you asked for that after that guilt trip you tried to lay on us. Amature!

Quote:
...because of the pletiful illegal and immoral acts they commit (such as harvesting over a dozen deer out of season and without proper tags).

Did they eat them? It may not make a difference to you, but it would to me. It might be illegal, but not imoral if they need the meat. We did it when I was younger (but never to that extent). Big family, expensive to feed. So there is no confusion, that is big as in size and in numbers. You wouldn't have wanted to pay my old mans grocery bill. I suppose if they can afford to buy a cabin, they can afford to buy beef, so never mind.

In all seriousness now, I have to once again agree with Jack on this one. You asked for our opinion, so we gave it.

Now, with this new information that you added, I would probably have done the same thing as you did. Except for the part where you posted it on a public forum. Heck, I once dropped a dime on PennDOT. It felt pretty good, too.

Posted on: 2007/4/12 21:36

From Other side of the tracks
Quote:

Bruno wrote:
Farmer Dave

I totally agree with you. However you still would not tell his wife until under the oath of law. I am all for kicking a friend ass for being stupid.

Mine has been kicked many o time.

Hey, what are friends for.

Posted on: 2007/4/12 21:41

From Altoona/Smoke Run
The title of this thread should be "please tell me I did the right thing because now I feel guilty for what I have done".

You made your bed dude. As long as it was worth it.

Posted on: 2007/4/13 1:17

Glad to see the Nuremberg Trial is going so well today. When does the sentencing phase begin?

Posted on: 2007/4/13 7:40

From Altoona, PA
Quote:

Dave wrote:
Glad to see the Nuremberg Trial is going so well today. When does the sentencing phase begin?

Seriously! Some folks are really angling for the WEB BADGE OF COURAGE award on this thread.

Posted on: 2007/4/13 7:57

From Monessen, PA
Poor analogy, I must say. The accused at Nuremberg did not voluntarily submit themselves to the jurisdiction of tribunal.

Posted on: 2007/4/13 8:46

From Southeast PA
OK then, how about the Salem witch trials?

("If she drowns, she's not a witch. What else floats? A duck!")

Ooops, another bad analogy. But I couldn't resist it.

Posted on: 2007/4/13 9:22

MKern: What you really did with this post, intentionally or not, was give the board a vague scenario that allowed each poster to show his own biases. For those who like to think of themselves as following a kind of gentleman's code of honor, your inclusion of the "old family friend" part was understandably a lightning rod (I suspected you meant something more like "former" or "one time" friend, but you were not very clear initially). Your assumptions about the severe enforcement they might face gave some of the more paranoid among us a chance to spew dire (and unsubstantiated) warnings about the environmental police state. Some folks got to work in their tough-guy credentials along the way. And what exactly you meant by digging out the stream bed seems to depend on the degree of the reader's environmentalist bent. It was evidently either a little bathtub-sized hole or something done with a bulldozer, depending on who was reading it. But, as some posters have pointed out already, you did ask for it. You probably would have generated less controvesy if you had included in your first post the facts you added later, but the reading would not have been as interesting.

Posted on: 2007/4/13 11:37

From Lehigh Valley, PA
I disagree with the majority; you did the right and courageous thing. These people had a history of disregarding regulations protecting wildlife. They were abusing the privilege of leasing a cabin on public lands, and you tried to talk to them before you called the authorities.

You did the right thing, and you did it with integrity. Personally, I have no sympathy for anyone who would dig out a streambed on public land, and I hope they lose the lease so it can go to someone who will be a decent steward. I’m surprised that so many people are chastising you for protecting a wild trout stream on state land.

Posted on: 2007/4/13 15:00

- Homer J. Simpson

From Lewistown
Farmer Dave,

Your the most pompous person of this board with you holier than anthing attitude. Who gave you the right to barade and judge my integrity.
In my oppinion get off your high horse and talk with some respect. By the way some people like GRAFITE (not plastic) rods because it's 2007, not 1800.

Posted on: 2007/4/13 15:01

Quote:

Will wrote:
MKern: What you really did with this post, intentionally or not, was give the board a vague scenario that allowed each poster to show his own biases.

Will,
Who elses bias would we show but our own? Do I have a problem w/ MKern? Absolutely not. In fact I hope to meet him at the next jam. My whole point was that all of us bend the rules in our daily lives somewhere. Not all people's lives revolve around trout (like ours do). It may be hard for them to see the potential damage of their actions. Especially when the state does similar practices.

I don't think that I was being paranoid when it comes to confiscatory power of the state. If MKern's friend got caught popping a deer out of season he could loose anything used in commiting the crime. This includes gun, truck, freezer. They fine you BY THE DAY for some environmental infractions. I would get wiped out pretty quick.

I am by no means an advocate for these things but I personally would not be able to turn in one of my own.

Posted on: 2007/4/13 15:23

Edited by Maurice on 2007/4/13 22:05:15

maybe my dumb a$$ should learn how to use the quote button.

Posted on: 2007/4/13 15:49

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes
No
Thinking about it
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll will close at 2014/10/31 17:56
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com