Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 6 »

Re: Did I Do the Right Thing

From Greensburg, PA
Quote:

MKern wrote:
did I do the right thing?

Yes, you did the "right" thing...was this the wise thing? Probably not.

"Old time family friend" suggests that you may not only feel the backlash of these people...but some of you family as well. Not sure what I would have done...I don't think I would have called the PFBC on them but I'm glad I didn't put myself in the position of having to make that decision either.

Posted on: 2007/4/12 15:25

From collegeville, pa
if you hooked up with the "old time family friends" daughter then you should not have called but if she shot you down that's another story....i see everyone's point here and they're all valid. I don't know how much disturbance was done to the stream bottom and all the facts but i will tell you that the DEP/ACOE would totally anhiliate any contractor/designer if they did that. (i know from experience) I understand the owner probably has no clue about this and that's why he needs to be educated. I'm sure none of this will affect the integrity of the stream any more than a natural rain event but it should be brought to his attention in one way or another.

jeff

Posted on: 2007/4/12 15:54

From York
If your call to the PFBC was an anonymous one and your "friend" does not read this forum, you may not get any backlash from them. Any angler coudl of come across the dugged out spot and reported it. And I'm sure that the majority of people on this board would not of hesitated to make the call if they had found the spot. The sticky point is this was a friend. Only you can tell yourself if you did the right thing.

Steve

Posted on: 2007/4/12 15:56

From Room 109
additionally,

What come around goes around and revenge is a dish best served cold.

Posted on: 2007/4/12 16:25

From Other side of the tracks
ARE YOU NUTS!!!

Did you do the right thing??? Well, Hitler would have been proud of you. They weren't robbing a bank or raping children.

Seriously though. I can't say you did the wrong thing. all I am saying is that if they were friends of my family, I wouldn't have done what you did. And if I had, I wouldn't announce it on here. If I had told them in no uncertain terms that if they went ahead I would contact the authorities? Then maybe I would, but probably not.

I also have to comment on this response.
Quote:

Bruno wrote:

Come on this is basic "guy" code of living. If your friend cheats on his wife do you run and tell her? No.

Although I don't have a problem with the gist of your message (the parts I deleted), and I might not tell her, I would't ignore it either. Instead, I would probably beat the living crap out of the guy. He's a dirtbag, and I wouldn't want to be friends with him anymore anyway. He would have to learn to avoid me until he stopped that crap or until he told his wife, because i would do it again (and again, and again). Would I worry about getting arrested? Not really. If I got charged, then his wife would find out why I beat the crap out of him. Can't lie under oath you know.

Posted on: 2007/4/12 16:42

From aliquippa
wow thats a tuff call, but i believe you did the right thing, now thats easy for us to say not sure how i would react,but i guess it depends on how good of a friend they were, and who`s to say they wouldn`t to it again or tell someone else , hey this is what we did you should try it

Posted on: 2007/4/12 17:07

From Gettysburg
MKern,
This is a tough one. I think your willingness to solicit the opinion of other fly fishers shows good conscience. To be perfectly honest I'm inclined to think that you probably should have let it slide. No question - what they were doing was wrong (and illegall) but if it were me I would have explained it to 'em then dropped the subject. I just don't think that the possibility of losing old family friends would be worth it over an issue like this. If they were dumping poisin in the stream it would be a different story but some stockies probably wasn't worth it. Tough call. Anyway, what's done is done as they say. Perhaps next time you might want to solicit the opinions before making a decision. Don't lose sleep over it. With time I hope your friends remain your friends but some people are overly sensitive and things like this aren't forgotten. Good luck with this. The best possible scenario would be that they be let off with a warning and nothing more comes of it. If this happens I'd try to make amends and drop the subject.

Posted on: 2007/4/12 17:31

Farmer Dave,
I would rather have a busted nose than some puke from the DEP come knocking on my door. In fact some of my best friends have broken my nose.
I'm not kidding when I say they are the 800 lb gorilla. My lord they have means and motivation to prosecute you to the full extent of the law if they wanted to.

Maybe the guy didn't know "how bad" his actions are. Come on how many normal people appreciate the words class A, and stream bed integrity?

There are a great deal of seasond anglers that could not correctly identify a brook from a brown, let alone native from stocker. I am not making excusses for the dude, but calling the Gestappo on him for displacing a handful of 5 inch fish is a little much.

Posted on: 2007/4/12 17:37

I don't think you did the right thing, but this is coming from some one that isn't educated either. I don't know much about stream bed integrity, so maybe you guys can fill me in.

From my point of view it sounds like you ratted out a friend who was trying to help kids have a fun opening day. I'm sure that's his point of view too because he probably doesn't know a lot about stream bed integrity and all that jazz. I'm sure he's not very happy with you.

As far as i can see, helping some of those kids have a good first day might get more interested in the sport and the benefits might out weigh the consequences.

Like i said i don't really know a lot about what the damage he did. All it sounds like to me is a guy dug a hole in a stream no biggy.

Posted on: 2007/4/12 17:48

From Attitudinally, one mile south of Lake LeBoeuf
>but calling the Gestappo on him for displacing a handful of 5 inch fish is a little much.>

Goodness...

I thought this thing about calling the state environmental regulators "Gestapo" went out of vogue when Ridge split DER up into DEP and DCNR.

I guess not though...

Posted on: 2007/4/12 17:49

From Other side of the tracks
ryanh, I was thinking the same thing about the DEP. They can also be pests for quite awhile afterwards.

Posted on: 2007/4/12 18:14

Can I change my answer?

My first reaction is that anyone digs in the stream, you should make the phone call. But it's an old family friend, that certainly makes things different.

You said they had "I'll do it anyway" attittude. Does this means you discussed it with them and they blew it off?

You might have been able to explain it to them and maybe they realize the mistake and wouldn't do it in the future.

Since it's a friend, you might let someone else make the phone call. If I see someone digging in a stream with a backhoe or front end loader on state forest land and there doesn't seem to be any good reason for it (bridge construction or something) I'll make the phone call without the slightest hesitation and I think other anglers would too. I sure hope so!

Posted on: 2007/4/12 18:23

From SE PA
I tried to stay out of it, but after re-reading your post it sounds like you only cared how it affected you and not everyone else. And I'm curious did you really talk to them before you made the call. It seems to me you are from a place with beautiful streams and I hoope they stay that way. However I'm from an area where the streams are full of silt and non native plant species from poor agriculture practices. I feel that perhaps a talk with your " old family friend" would have saved you at least one sleepless night. I applaude you for caring enough about your fishing streams to do something about it, but perhaps over the fence friendly talk with him could have saved lots of nervousness and asking for everyone elses blessing in this perhaps poor decision.

Posted on: 2007/4/12 19:30

From Room 109
Farmer Dave

I totally agree with you. However you still would not tell his wife until under the oath of law. I am all for kicking a friend ass for being stupid.

Mine has been kicked many o time.

Posted on: 2007/4/12 20:00

From Lewistown
I think a lot of you misunderstood "old family friend" They are no longer close to the family because of the pletiful illegal and immoral acts they commit (such as harvesting over a dozen deer out of season and without proper tags). However, I didn't call the attorities out of spite. I tried to talk to them in a calm manner, however, if I told them that the stream is abbundant with trout already, it would be cleared out within 2 weeks. The PFBC told me that they are more concerned witht eh hatchery they recieved the fish from.

I also believe you all are being too harsh on me. For example, I teach students that have been expeled from school and they always call each other "snitches" for slipping info to the teachers. They, like you all, are placing blame on the people who told (and did the right thing) and not the people who BROKE THE LAW. Besides how would you all feel if I came to where you lived and devisated your favorite fishing spot?

We all know that even 1 12" fish that survives the Saturday slaughter can reak havock on a small stream. Let's face it, there is barely enough food for the native fish to survive. Now add a 15" golden bow to the mix; not only will he consume more than his fair share, but in tough times will start to eat the brookies.

I have held my tounge plenty of times on this forum. I could lash out at many of you for some of the things you say. However, I was raised that if you can't say anything nice, don't say anthing at all.

Posted on: 2007/4/12 20:36

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 6 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes 95% (139)
No 0% (0)
Thinking about it 4% (6)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/10/31 17:56
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com