• Start date
salvelinusfontinalis

salvelinusfontinalis

Lackawanna River - Moosic PA
Thursday Night June 30th 7 - 10:15 PM
Water Temp 67
Flow normal to good
SDC12183.jpg

I came to the River expecting to see Cahills and rising fish. I was not totally disappointed but it also was not what I expected. The River seems dead while the sun is on the water which is no surprise. A&G outfitters will tell you that the big fish are hiding during the mid-day and rising activity is sparse until dusk. I took note that once the sun fell just behind the ridge line @ 8PM, the River started to instantly see activity on top. At first, bluegills, fall fish, chubs and shinners. They kept me busy until the trout decided to show. Once it really started turning dusk, the trout then started to rise. There were sparse Sulphurs but nothing to write home about and Cahills were out but also not in great numbers. Caddisflies were everywhere and had been all evening. At 9:15PM the activity became more intense.
SDC12187.jpg

This was one of the better fish of the evening. I caught a few 16 - 17 inch browns but not did take pics of them. The fish in the heavy river flows fight hard and should be returned quickly.

Nay Aug Park
Friday Afternoon July 1st
SDC12207.jpg

I didn't fish Roaring Brook here but I am extremely interested to do so in this area.
This is not my pic but look at this thing:
14638323.jpg

I do have a question about this area. Just down from the Nay Aug Community Playground is a trail that takes you to the bridge that crosses Roaring Brook. The one side has no trespassing signs but downstream does not have the signs. Obviously people in my pic had been swimming there but I don't know if they were legal. I hear from local family up that way that people have died in the gorge and they don't like people down there but they think fishing would be okay from the bridge downstream. Can someone local weigh in on this? Can you fish Nay Aug? There are historical items to view, 2 gigantic pools and water slide that are fairly cheap, a coal mine, tree house and much much more. Either way its a beautiful park with all kinds of things to do for the family. Looks like a good place to get away and maybe even let dad get in some scenic fishing if its allowed.
Here are more of my pics:
Brooks Coal Mine
Brooks Coal Mine 2
Park Sign
Electric City
Tree House
View of Roaring Brook from Treehouse
Playground
The Kiddo Havin Fun
The Bridge
Upstream of Bridge
Old Zoo
Old Zoo2
Pool w/ Slide
The Pioneer Gravity Car
For all those we lost
Look how happy she is in that park ;-)
I seeee youuuu!
Dad's a kid too :)

For more info on Nay Aug here are some links:
Link1
Link2
Link3
For more info about fishing different sections of Roaring Brook, you can PM me.
After this we went swimming at the family pool and look how cute see is:
Look @ my eyes
I wont bore you with anymore family outings, I just thought Nay Aug was of interest.

Friday Night June 1st 8 - 10:30 PM
Water Temp 67
Flow normal to good
Friday was more of the same as Thursday's report. Caught smaller fish this time.
Pic

Lackawanna River - Moosic / Old Forge PA
Saturday Evening June 2nd 5:30 - 10:30 PM
Water Temp 67
Flow normal to good
I made a deal with the wife and I, along with her, gambled on this deal and we were both lucky. I get to go fishing longer and earlier and she gets to go to Mohegan Sun and play the slots. Luckily I caught fish and she won some money. ;-)
As expected the trout were hiding for the most part during this part of the day. I did however catch many SM Bass and some were very good size. Like this guy:
SDC12217.jpg

What i found interesting/disturbing is all the bass I caught and all the sunfish I caught had these lesions on them. Is this what we are seeing in the Susquehanna River. Ill be honest, I don't know, I am not a fish disease expert. It just made me go hmmmmmm. I doubt that diseased SM Bass and sunfish are leaving the Susquehanna, swimming up through the pollution left by the Old Forge Borehole,to this point of river. Is it possible the heavy metals and pollution in the Lack is causing the fish disease? Is this even the disease? Mike? I don't know but I thought I would throw it out there. Anyways, the SM bass were hitting large black streamers along the seams of the deep riffles much like a trout would. A few times I thought I had a heavy trout on my line and after my drag screaming out and I won the battle I would have a 15" - 16" smallie on the end of my line. In total, 8 bass came to hand. Here are some more pics of this part of the lower river, it really is beautiful for an urban stream.
SDC12234.jpg

Lack in Old Forge
Lack in Old Forge2
Off Main Ave Bridge in Old Forge
On Main Ave Bridge in Old Forge
Main Ave Bridge
Lack in Moosic
Old Forge Sign
While fishing in this part of the river(Moosic/Old Forge) I got a rare catch. Stockers do turn up in various parts of the river and can grow to enormous lengths. Most of the fish are wild but Albino's, Rainbows and Browns are not uncommon.
SDC12111.jpg

These guys not so much. Its obvious he is a stocker but his fins looked really good and he was pushing to become a really decent trout. Another year or 2 and this brookie will be one big fish. Made my outing this evening!
Before it got dark I headed back upstream. These guys and these guys were buzzing about the river and fish were rising to them. More of the first mayfly than the second. There was a spin guy fishing the gigantic hole I dry fly fish with a double jointed rapala. I took 2 nice browns and released them. He also took 2 nice browns and creeled them. It is his right to do so on this part of the river, actually they would have been legal in the TT section also but it was what he said that made me want to throw up in my mouth. I asked him, "You don't actually eat the fish from this river do you? It smells pretty bad and has to be badly polluted." He replied, "Oh hell naw, I feed them to my cats. I just like catching them." :-o :evil: It really was hard not to throw up. There were risers this night but it was tougher than the last 2 nights. I did miss a proper hook set on what was probably the fish of the weekend. Felt really heavy for the few seconds I had him. People everywhere were setting off fireworks, even people right by the river and it light up the waters surface. Once they started doing this......this fish stopped rising. A heavy and loud lightning storm rolled in Sunday early AM.

Sunday July 3rd 4 - 6PM
Water Temp n/a
River was blown out

The river was blown out so I tossed a big black streamer along the edges of the river and had mild success with SM Bass. It was still a good time.
Also fished one of the tribs before it entered the river. Had good success with SM bass in the tributary.
Pic
Pic2
I know, by the pics it doesn't look totally blown out but I can tell you from experience, if the water even gets a bit more flow or is Muddy.....its done. The Lack IMO fishes best around 100 - 500 cfs. It was above 1000.....even 600 can be too much at times. The River as of tonight is almost back down to a perfect level.

Lackawanna River - Dickson City PA
Monday July 4rd 5:30 - 6:15AM
Water Temp n/a
River was blown out

I was to meet OlyphantLacky from the board and fish the Lack w/ him this day. Unfortunately, it was still blown out. We decided to head to a stream I told him about that will remain unnamed if you please, so if you recognize it.....zip it ;-). I consider this stream more his than mine now.

"Unnamed" Stream - Location withheld PA
Monday July 4th 7 - almost 11AM
Water Temp 63
Flow was normal to good

On the way to meet him I had this gal stop on the road and stare at me for a few minutes. She started to run when I pulled the camera out, guess she thought it was a rifle. Not all fly-fisherman pack heat girl!
SDC11659.jpg

The beauty of these small trout never cease to amaze me. The brookies in this stream have really taken back over from what the population was not long ago. We were throwing some big caddisflies and the trout were eager to feed.
Brookie
Steam (came out blurry but I liked it anyways)
Another of the 1st fish
One trout I hooked, about 4 inches long or less, had a HUGE brown come from under a rock and swipe at him a few times. The brown went back under the rock never to be seen again. If this fish wasn't 20" it was every bit of 18". It was a big, most likely wild, brown trout. When I return July 30th weekend, I will be returning to get him. I told Robert if I was him I would get the fish before I come back ;-). Hopefully, one of us will have a pic of the fish to show. In the end, we each landed over a dozen or so brookies with many missed takes.

On the way back to the car we were BSing about various things. Robert is a extremely generous and nice gentleman. All around he is a great fishing partner. I have been wet wading because my waders broke this season and I haven't been able to afford a new pair. I was thinking of selling on of my other rods to cover the cost of a new pair. Robert had recently lost a fly box and was low on flies. He had a repaired pair of Orvis endura's in his car he doesn't or hasn't used in sometime. He told me to give what ever flies I thought they were worth and he would give them to me. I assured him that I couldn't give him enough, but I gave him a bunch. I hope you enjoy my caddisflies, they do catch a ton of fish. :) Thanks again buddy and I'll be getting back to you before I come up at the end of the month. I owe you, I saw from your facebook page it was your anniversary! I imagine you got B*&#$ed @ for fishing with me.:lol: I owe you bigtime!

On that note, Ill end with a pic of Robert's brookie. IMO it was the best fish of the day. What it lacked in length it made up with a good belly and beautiful colors. Hope you enjoyed my NEPA report.

SDC12294.jpg

great report Sal....i wish the Lackawanna was better when i was growing up around there, probably should have explored it...

Nice report Sal (as usual).
Regarding the lesions on bass, from what I can tell in the pic it does indeed resemble the typical Columnaris lesions found on bass in the Susky. While I'm not familiar with the watershed in question, lesions on SMBs have been found in many streams and rivers throughout the middle and upper Susky watersheds as well as other areas. However,I'd say that if you saw this on a majority of the bass you caught, I'd definitely notify the PFBC if Mike doesn't notice.

Great report. The detail in your reports is something to be admired Sal. I'm certain they take quite a bit of time and effort to draft.

That first little Brookie is one of the prettiest I have ever seen. What a delight it must have been to find that guy attached to your fly.

Dave,

Thanks for the advice and I should have thought of doing that myself. I reported it just a few minutes ago. They assured me that the disease is not harmful to humans. While they sounded relieved to hear it was on the adult bass and not juvenile, being I caught no small bass, they also sounded disturbed by the frequency I found it on the bass. They said they will look into it more.

Good call and thank you.

one of the best reports I've read on this site!

Columnaris virus is commonplace around NEPA especially on the SMB population. Usually it only affects the YOY. But sometimes, due to stress/environmental concerns it will start to get on the older fish. The PFBC in Sweet Valley is aware of this problem. But I'm glad your keeping an eye out for it!!

SPD have been patrolling the Nay Aug corridor. You will get fined if your caught (that's what the 5-0 say). They really don't like people in the gorge anymore.

I doubt that they will cite a fisherman. They have been targeting the swimmers as of late. 36 got cited and fined. Archived story here:

http://pqasb.pqarchiver.com/timesshamrock/access/2365213771.html?FMT=ABS&FMTS=ABS:FT&type=current&date=Jun+3%2C+2011&author=Anonymous&pub=The+Times+-+Tribune&edition=&startpage=n%2Fa&desc=36+Cited+For+Trespassing+At+Nay+Aug+Gorge

jjsjigs,

Thanks for the info. That is pretty much what the local family has been telling me but the "I doubt they will bother you if your fishing" thing scares me.

If I do ever plan on fishing that area, I will be contacting the park and the police just to be sure. No harm in asking! :)

Again thanks for the info.

Which section is closed to trespassing? And is the section that's closed within a public park? What's the reason for this?

Dwight,

Nay Aug park in the Roaring Brook watershed. Its my understanding that they have had many people killing themselves jumping off the rocks in the gorge.

Sad that people died there, and also sad that a scenic section of stream on public land is closed to access.

Back