Deschutes River, OR

CLSports

CLSports

Has anyone ever fished the Deschutes River in Oregon? I am headed out there in early May and I wanted to get some input on good wading locations and hatches to expect.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks, Rob

I'm a big feller, but I'm limber and can fit into a suitcase if I try hard enough. So you can take me.

But as far as wading locations and hatchs info...sorry can't help.

CLS- I could'nt help myself and stopped by the Deschutes River last August as I passed right over it on my way to Northern CA.

The wind in the Columbia River gorge is something, 40-60 mph winds are common- might want to fish up river if the winds are bad. I fished for steelhead near the mouth with the Coulmbia- caught a hatchery jack on a wet fly- pretty cool. There is a campground on the east side of the river operated by the state- reasonable price and right on the river easy access from interstate- forget the name.

I had no plans of stopping there but figured as I was right there I would regret it if I did'nt stop. So my knowledge was really limited. I was glad I did it.

I have no idea what the hatches are on the river. I also stayed a night in a campground in Maupin (a town located mid-river) which is above a series of falls. More steelhead probably below the falls but that seems speculation on my part. Here is a website for the town- there are at least 2 flyshops there-probably a good start there.
www.maupinoregon.com

The wading is unlike anywhere I have ever seen. No joke- one step in your up to your waist next step up to the top of your waders. There is a dirt road that follows along the river for probably 30 miles access is excellent though- pretty bumpy- wish I had a rental there.

I am not at home (with my computer) where I have numerous pictures of the river- it was like fishing on the moon- very hot and dry. There are very large rainbows in the river- I nymphed up a smallish rainbow for there. Wish I fished it longer, I should have. Try a search on this site for "Montana signs"- there might be some pics of the Deschutes.

Another weird thing is- you cannot fish out of a boat there- would be awesome!! Although when I was fishing near the mouth of the Columbia- guides used jet boats to take clients up through rapids to access gravel bars miles up river. I was told that there was a bike path from the campround- they one near the mouth that would take you up river.

My take might be that there is better trout fishing near Maupin and better steel fishing below the falls. I will try to post some pics in the future when I can access my PC.

Good luck!!!

Deschutes is big nasty water. Never go alone and just take a boat.

i fished the deschutes in 98, tom`s right its big water, and if there`s a lot of run off from winter like there was when i was there it was intimidateing, my trip was through kaufmans streamborn which was three days of tying/fishing and three days of just fishing, the salmon fly hatch was unbelievable, if i remember correctly you can`t fish from the drift boat you have to anchor and get ouit and fish and we fished near the town of maupin

Ok. How do you pronounce it?

ok its like...maw pin......lol

Over the past 10 years or so, I've probably spent 15-20 days on the Deschutes, but most of it has been from mid-August through early October.

So, I don't know much about the fishing in May other than if you're out there late in the month, you might get into the salmonflies on the lower river (below Pelton Dam). This is the big water section that Tom advised you to get a boat for, and I think he's probably right for the most partbecause I don't know the average differences in cfs volume down here between say, May and September other than to assume the water is lower in September.. I know I waded a lot of the section between Mecca Flats and Trout Creek (the upper portion of the lower river, if you will) and was ok so long as I chose my spots. I had real good fishing throwing elk hairs and other high floating flies up against the bank. Even if you don't run into the salmon flies (and you may be blessed not to because they draw the biggest crowds of the season, the place is a caddis factory. I've never been there that some sort of caddis or another wasn't thick in the air. These fish see a lot of flies, but aren't really that selective, IMO. An assortment of deer or elk hair caddis in 12-18 with brown, tan, olive and cream bodies (peacock too) will take a lot of fish.

If I were you, depending on where you are basing out of, I'd take a look at the upper river from Bend down for about 20 miles. Whether this is worthwhile will depend upon the irrigation drawdown schedule and I don't know what it is like in May, In the Fall, it makes for very pleasant fishing. Anyhow, this section has limited access, but there is good fishing (for browns and redsides) where you can get on it, which is at several state and county parks from Bend down a ways, about to a place called Tetherow Crossing.

Here is an excellent book that covers the entire river, section by section. It's very worthwhile to have if you're going to be there long enough to invest 17-30 bucks in the book. It also covers virtually every other fishery in the area and some of them are pretty formidable.

http://www.amazon.com/Fishing-Central-Oregon-Beyond-5th/dp/1882084136/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1264464592&sr=1-1

Finally, if you're looking for a small stream experience at some point in your trip and don't mind catching little fish, look at Tumalo Creek near Bend. And if the Deschutes is carrying too much water or the withdrawals have it messed up, give some thought to skipping over to the Crooked River in the high desert about 30 miles east of Redmond. It's an excellent redsides and whitefish river about a quarter of the size of the Big Deschutes and at one time it was carrying 8,000 redsides a mile. I think it's less now, but there are still a mess of fish there and they really aren't hard to catch.

Good Luck..

on a salmon fly river,trout are use to seeing stragglers for weeks afterwards.

Deh-shoots.

I would think that river is going to be almost unfishable in may.

Thank you for all of the useful information.

I was worried that the flows in early May might make the river unfishable, and I wanted to have a few backup options just in case. Those other streams that a few of you mentioned will help.

I am spending a week based out of Portland and we plan to camp and fish the Deschutes for three days.

Rob

Regardless of the condition of the Deschutes, you will not be at a loss for water to fish near by. Just ask around.

You can fish from the bank in some places near Maupin. Other areas are wadeable during the summer, but I doubt you'll be able wade during the spring, it flows out of the Sisters Wilderness area and those mountains are 10 to 11 thousand feet high. But there is a dam up above so they may hold run-off back. There is a fly shop in Maupin and one in Welches Or. they may be able to help. In Maupin the Deschutes is bigger than the main stem of the Upper Delaware. And much faster.

skip Oregon and fish the Perk!

You may want to Google "Metolius River", it should be fishable if all of the other rivers are not.

fish the Perk

I'm with you, buddy. hopefully we'll get some good surfurs this year! I'll pick you up on my way down from Rofo.

i fished the shute a few years ago near maupin in late july. water was flowing crazy fast in the middle. and wading is very tricky, you have to pick your spots. the river gets a lot of rec use, mostly by rafters and yakers. i only saw a few other fishermen. the redsides are awesome fish. a 12 in fish will run 20 feet of line. i caught fish at each likely spot, some more than others. find a nice back eddy and you got fish. i caught them on a tan caddis and some on BWO with a few on nymphs. as for May, i'd call the shop in maupin and talk to john. i stopped in and talked to him and got very good advice. again big, fast water near maupin. near the mouth is was very wide but not as deep and fast. i wanted to try bear bend but could not get out an extra day.

http://www.flyfishingdeschutes.com/

I am now planning to drive from Oregon to Montana and stay 4-5 days in Missoula and then fly back home from there.

Anyone have any advice on where to fish in the Missoula area? I may go with a guide for one day and then on my own for the others.

Anyone want to meet up out there? I plan to be in Missoula from about the 11th - 16th of May. I am traveling alone once I leave Portland, so if anyone is in the area atround then and would like a fishing partner, let me know.

Rob

Back