Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Denver question

From Davidsville
I have to travel to Denver in mid to late August for a few days. I am planning on going early to do some fly fishing. Does anyone have a suggestion on where to fish/stay etc. Nothing fancy and something close to Denver. The prefect place would be right next to a stream. Any suggestion is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Posted on: 2013/6/12 9:07

Re: Denver question

I recommend fishing in Rocky Mountain Park. It's near Boulder, which is not a very long drive from Denver.

You can pitch a tent at campgrounds in the park. Or find lodging outside the park, for example around the village of Estes Park.

Posted on: 2013/6/12 9:20

x2 for RMNP...Estes Parks is awesome...my wife and I were there 3 years ago next week and it was amazing...we did not fish, but there were many fishing right in the park and in the river that runs right through Estes Park itself.

Posted on: 2013/6/12 9:23

From Southwestern NY
Cheap decent lodging down town the ramada on zuni and north speer. When we were ou there for the ski/snowboard show we always stayed there. $50 a night and an awsome breakfast bar. Oh and while you're don town if you like cantina you gotta find illegal petes, our other staple to visiting denver.

Posted on: 2013/6/12 9:33

From Ohio
I made a trip out to Colorado last summer and was able to get a good amount of fishing in. x3 for RMNP, but it's not exactly close to Denver. Where I was at around Denver it was a 2hr drive to Estes Park, and a 3hr drive on the way back with traffic. I highly recommend it though for the scenery and the fishing.

Other closer options to Denver are Boulder Creek, South Boulder Creek, and Clear Creek. There could be others but those were the ones I fished. Fishing was very good for mostly wild browns with a bow or two mixed in. All of those are around 40min to an hour from Denver. Can't help you with places to stay, I stayed at a hotel in Aurora which isn't a good base camp for fishing. Have fun!

Posted on: 2013/6/12 11:33

From Harrisburg
South Platte in Deckers.

Posted on: 2013/6/12 11:48
"Then the coal company came with the world's largest shovel, and they tortured the timber and stripped all the land. Well they dug for their coal till the land was forsaken, then they wrote it all down as the progress of man."

From Birdsboro

Posted on: 2013/6/12 11:51

From chester ct
Playing off the big guy's Decker post (TimM), I've stayed in Deckers right on some primo S Platte water http://www.flies-n-lies.com/cabin-rental-1/cabin-rental-rates/

The rates have gone up since I was there (hasn't everything?) and it looks like they've made the place nicer - it was pretty basic when I stayed there, but with the windows open, the sounds of the river put me to sleep nicely.

In summer, if you put yourself in South Denver at 5:00, you can be ffishing the SPlatte within an hour.

If you are there several days early, 2 hours can put you up the mountain to Dillon etc. and there are the Blue, interesting brookie ponds right on the Interstate and other waters. Or you could go north to Fort Collins and do the Poudre, but I think the stream has had some setbacks due to fires.

But if you have several days to play with, drive the 4 hrs to Basalt/Aspen and do the Pan, Roaring Fork, etc. May even get into Western Green Drakes (MUCH better ffishing that our Easter GD) and Flavinea, caddis, olives.

hp
les

Posted on: 2013/6/12 12:14

From Ohio
Breckenridge is about an hour outside of Denver, the Blue River runs right through town and there a few other river including the Colorado that are not far. Stop in at one of the fly shops in town for advice on access.

Posted on: 2013/6/12 21:14

I am going to Denver in late August. Since I'll have a little extra time I plan to see what fish I can find. I asked a friend that lives out there but doesn't fish for some ideas. Clear Creek was one of their answers. Waterton Canyon was another. After googling both, Clear Creek seemed better to me. But then I discovered the Dream Stream. And it will probably be among the first places I go after my plane touches down.

Posted on: 2013/6/12 23:46

From LV
Anywhere west of Denver you can find trout. In less then a years time, I spent 4 months in and around Denver and Colorado Springs. I didn't like The S. Platte, for reasons I won't go into here. But there's plenty of other water to fish. From Estes Park to the lower end of South Park is all good. I loved Clear Creek when I didn't have a lot of time to get to some fishing. I liked the N. Fork of S. Platte.
Way up Clear Creek there are Beaver Ponds full of trout. Above Spinney Reservoir on S. Platte can be very good too.

Posted on: 2013/6/13 14:47

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com