Delaware Float Guide?

jwatts

jwatts

I'm looking into going on a guided float trip on the Delaware river (Northern) sometime in spring. Just wondering what kind of info anyone has on this topic. Best guides,etc. I see some of the guides are charging a pretty penny for this,i don't really want to spend a Ton of money because what if you dont catch anything or even just one $385 fish.Lol.. But then again i wouldnt want to be going down the river with someone who knows absolutely nothing.. Thanks again everyone

John Miller & Scott McClintock are both fantastic and worth every penny. They work with West Branch Angler: www.westbranchresort.com And remember, there is far more to a guided trip than just the fish. Approach your day as a time to learn something new. Not only can they put you on parts of the river you would have difficulty accessing, but they are real pros with the fly rod. They give you the opportunity to get on some nice fish and you can pick their brains to refine some part of your fly fishing technique.

ya putting a price per fish attitude on the trip is a real buzz kill for the guide. if your expectation is to go out and catch numbers of large fish I would suggest another fishery, or at a minimum book the trip for the spring. are you looking to learn a few things or simply catch fish? nothing wrong with either approach, just be clear with your guide as to your expectations and you will have a better experience.

jdaddy you are so right...

You may also want to talk to your guide and find out what type of fishing you should expect. Type of fishing (ex. nymph or dry), are you open to fishing outside of your comfort range (ex. giant streamers on a 7-8 wt), etc. You may want to check out Ken at the Baxter House or call Coz at Borderwater Outfitters.

BTW, if you have expectations of going up there and catching 25 fish between 18-26".... don't. You may find it to be one of the most technical places you'll fish. It does hold big fish and it holds plenty of fish too. Anyone that fishes there on a regular basis will back up the fact that you have to pay your dues to the river to reap the rewards. She's a very fickle gal.

Back me up Tom!

In my experience anyone who has survived at least 10 years as a guide up there is doing something right. Ken at Baxter House, West Branch Angler, Joe Demalderis, Tony Ritter have been around a while and are good guides.

The best guide for you has to do with doing your homework and calling these guys with your expectations. Get the guide that sounds best at providing the experience you want.

A few things to think about. Late April can be good - the weather can be crappy and uncertain - but the Hendricksons draw the fish up in the middle of the afternoon and they aren't so picky early in the season. Later in the season the weather is better, but on a bluebird day the fish may only be active right at dusk. Plus the more they have been fished over the snootier they get.

High water makes for tough dry fly fishing. However, that is when many of the big guys are caught throwing streamers the size of a road kill squirrel. Not everybody's cup of tea. However, if you are looking for a trout measured in pounds rather than inches the odds are with you throwing meaty streamers when the river is up. (Or fishing big dries after dark when the old timers go out to feed)

Everyone has made great comments. I have fished the Delaware system for over forty-five years and it is probably the last place anyone who knows it would go for sheer numbers of fish caught. It is a wonderful fishery for wild, or maybe I should say, stream born, browns and rainbows. Average fish are in the 11" - 17" range. Anyone who tells you they are catching mostly 16" - 20" fish either never measure the the trout they catch or are living in a fantasy world.

The spring time, late April through mid June will give you the best likelihood of catching 4 - 6 fish. If you are lucky enough to be there on a perfect day with tons of bugs and cooperating fish who knows you might get 6 - 10. But just going out with a great guide like Joe D or Coz at Border Waters (or whatever they are now called) is a great experience. You will improve the experience if you chat with the guide before you get out on the water and honestly tell him you might not be able to throw accurate 30' casts or your line management skills need some improvement.

The more you let the guide know about your skills and expectations the better your day will be for both of you.

I went up with Ben Turpin five times this year, we caught at least 3 fish, average 15''-18'' rage, each time. He knows West branch pretty well and has a good personality.

I can't recommend a guide, but I do suggest you go with a buddy and cut your cost in half. Then that one fish will only cost $200 or so. Oh tip well too.

Dot

Thanks alot guys. I was just a little nervous , i didn't want to end up with a guide that didn't know what he was doing but just wanted to make money. I had a family member go on a guided trip once,didnt hook,cost alot,guide didn't talk,etc. so i can see that being a Buzzkill. Just wanted to get some good info on a repuatable guide service. I understand you cant hook a ton of fish,but i would like to also learn from the guide.. Thanks again everyone

I've fished the system for 50 years and even had a farm on the banks of the main stem for 15 yrs:there is some very good advice given above.

I would give guide,Jerry Hadden, a shot:Low keyed,knowledgeable,all all around nice guy.

john millar west branch as the first post said. proof----

http://i1124.photobucket.com/albums/l562/jessek3/Jessespicturesmostlyfishing624.jpg

Beautiful brown but far from typical.

Picture is a nice somewhat more than average rainbow. Delaware rainbows are HOT! and in even in just a mild flow will make you thankful for the backing on your reel.

Attachments

• 03-20-2008 04;40;14PM.jpg
    03-20-2008 04;40;14PM.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 2
jessekovacs wrote:
http://i1124.photobucket.com/albums/l562/jessek3/Jessespicturesmostlyfishing624.jpg

I'm pretty sure that someone's crossed space-time to throw a trout in my face, and I find that unacceptable. I want to fish only in my current continuum, not alternates.

In other words: Step away from your copy of photoshop.

wbranch wrote:
make you thankful for the backing on your reel.

I thought the backing just made a nice contrasting colour for the line...? You mean it serves a purpose?!?

gfen wrote:
jessekovacs wrote:

I'm pretty sure that someone's crossed space-time to throw a trout in my face, and I find that unacceptable. I want to fish only in my current continuum, not alternates.

In other words: Step away from your copy of photoshop.

Hey, those "hand net" things that are so popular among the steelbow crowd. They cool to use on real fish? I would assume it would remove a lot of the slime layer.

jdaddy wrote:
Hey, those "hand net" things that are so popular among the steelbow crowd. They cool to use on real fish? I would assume it would remove a lot of the slime layer.

How much worse can it be than grabbing the fish in your bare hand and doing it? Maybe better after all its not sliding and squirming about?

Get it wet first, and I bet its no more damaging than a bare hand. Then again, I still use a mesh bag net because I don't like fumbling the poor things about so maybe my opinion is tainted.

When going with an experienced guide the best thing I get out of it is the education. The fish may or may not cooperate on the day you are out, but a good guide can always teach you something.

FFChineseman, ill second you on that one with Ben Turpin. He brought me out on the west branch out in the beginning of August in the drift boat, and by 2 oclock i had already 10 fish, and we only started fishing at 11. People will tell you that numbers of fish on the delaware are not possible, but i have beg to differ do to my experience in August. At around 3 oclock a strong thunderstorm had blown through, and it had poored for at least a good half hour. After the rain i had caught 2 more fish, but after that, the river turned to a chocolate milk color due to the feeder streams. I didnt even get to fish the best part of the delaware which was the dry fly fishing. All fish were caught on nymphs, and if it didnt have rained, Turpin said i probably would have had a 20 fish day. Best experience so far. I think your name is Dave FFChineseman? hes mentioned you a few times.- Kev

I, third (??) you guys on Ben. He's an awesome guide, and I hope to book another trip with him. you will learn a lot, and most likely, catch fish.

Back