Decent Trout in a Decent Lake-HELP

gaeronf

gaeronf

I'm heading up to a medium sized lake that surprisingly has 60 foot depths in it, on Saturday. It holds a nice population of rainbows, brown, golden rainbows, and maybe some brooks...year round. My question is what flies and rigs should I be using?

Downrigger??? :-D

Lol, yea. I'm bringing the fly rod because last time my dad went he said there were trout rising EVERYWHERE.

This time of year I would concentrate on the shallows looking for horny browns .Early morning near any streams emptying into the lake.Wooly buggers be worth a try.Also if you have a canoe,kayak or small boat,motorless trolling with a fly outfit has caught many trout in Maine etc...
If you don't want to use streamers,look for weedbeds.Wet flies around them can work.Let us know,sounds like fun.Should be a good time of year.

Yea, we're bringing a boat. This lake has several incoming tiny streams, but also has a population of large and small mouth bass along with other warm water fish. Will this affect anything?

In Calif ----nia they use trout like lures to catch 20 pound bass.lol
Catch whats there.
the browns will want to spawn so be first near these inlets in the a.m. and you might catch some serious trout.

never fished that situation but i may try things like big purple and black leeches, eggs dead drifted out of the feeders, the wet fly combo is a good idea...maybe troll with that... big terrestrials next to the shore when it warms...although that has sunny written all over it...let us know how you do....is this place in NEPA?

It's in Wayne County...Sizes for the wet flies?

I'd have a rod rigged with a fast sink tip and drift. I'd also have a second rod riggedt for surface action to grab quick and casting to rises. With temps forecast in the 80's you could see a lot of topwater action.

Back