December Brookies

just_jon

just_jon

Visited my favorite Perry county headwater in Tuscarora SF yesterday afternoon. Water level was perfect with water temp of 40 and air temp of 42. Managed 14 of the most beautifully colored trout I've caught all year. Average size was about 7" with 2 fish in the 10-11" range. All were caught on a #12 BH Golder Retriever. By not wading and fishing slowly, I was able to spot most of the trout I caught by their telltale pelvic fins. Most aggressive chased the fly for a couple of feet or more making for exciting action. Saw a number of insects on the surface, but did not see any fish rising. This outing closed the book on my 2012 goal of fishing for native brook trout in every month.

Despite the successes, there were 2 downsides to the outing. My camera was accidentally left on panorama mode, so I have no photos worthy of posting. The other involved my decision to take my Springer, Kaycee, fishing. For the most part I was able to keep her out of the water by tying her 6' lead to my belt, but her near constant movement spooked a number of really good fish. She is the best bird dog I've ever hunted over, but the qualities that enable her to excel in hunting makes her a liability as a fishing dog. In the first pool of the afternoon, she spotted a 10"+ fish swimming below her perch on an overhanging rock and promptly jumped on it nearly bringing me along for the swim.

Congrats on the monthly goal. My yellow english lab loves creeks so much that her indian name would be b$%ch that spooks fish

Back