Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 3 4 ... 8 »

DeLorme PA Atlas & Gazetteer

I'm curious about how many people use or don't use the DeLorme Atlas and what you think of it?

For those who do have it, do you have the current edition, which is the Tenth Edition, 2007, or an earlier edition? Or both?

The Tenth Edition has signficant design changes. I think the changes make the Atlas much harder to use for finding trout streams than the earlier editions. It seems like the stream lines, stream names, and the forest roads are less clear than before. Thoughts?

Posted on: 2010/1/11 16:14

Re: DeLorme PA Atlas & Gazetteer

From Pretty much everywhere at some point, Thorndale today.
Both,

Didn't notice much difference.

I don't find streams with it, I typically use a combination of online maps (PAFBC GIS maps, google terrain or satellite views, etc.) and USGS topo's for that. It also is a poor choice for long distance travelling. But its the best I've found for local roads.

I'll often use the online maps for that too. But when you're in the car, and the initial plan changes, out comes the Delorme.

Posted on: 2010/1/11 16:20

From Carlisle
I have one that's an older edition that I use on all of my wild trout excursions. I wouldn't leave home without it.

Posted on: 2010/1/11 16:23

From wellsboro
I have two and they are both missing the same two pages from me leaving them open on the front seat and the dog jumping on them and ripping the pages out. At this point I don't really need them often, I know most of the dirt roads where I live, but when I first moved here they got used a ton.

Posted on: 2010/1/11 16:39

From harlansburg
I like the older one better, more detail, better road naming. don't know why they change it.

Posted on: 2010/1/11 16:40

From Emigrant, Mt
I do not have one yet, but how do the maps on the dash board gps units compare with the Gazatteer maps? The Delorme software on my lap top is very good for back roads and timy streams.

Posted on: 2010/1/11 16:52

From South Central PA
Mine latest one is from about 1998. Use it all the time. Sounds like I should take better care of it, too.

Posted on: 2010/1/11 16:57

From New Castle, PA
flybop,

I suppose it would depend on the make and model, but having experience with both road navigation GPS and traditional GPS, the dashboard GPS units are sorely lacking compared to a gazeteer or good topo maps loaded onto a GPS unit.

Everyone else,

Here is another option.

All-outdoors atlas & field guide

I've seen these first hand and the maps seem much better than the DeLorme gazetteers. At least they are easier to read as they are larger scale. There are versions for both East & West PA.

They also have better info for outdoor activities for each area.

And as always, the PennDOT maps are excellent as thye show almost every little trickle.

PennDOT Type 10 Maps

Kev

Posted on: 2010/1/11 17:02

We use it daily on the job during field season. Have been doing so for as long as they have been available, probably 15 yrs or more, or so it seems. Also use topo scout in the office and USGS topographic maps, of which we have field copies and office copies. Still using the older gazetteers.

Posted on: 2010/1/11 17:06

Quote:

Mike wrote:
We use it daily on the job during field season. Have been doing so for as long as they have been available, probably 15 yrs or more, or so it seems. Also use topo scout in the office and USGS topographic maps, of which we have field copies and office copies. Still using the older gazetteers.

Mike, if you get into a bookstore maybe you might take a look at the new edition, the Tenth edition.

I think their re-design has really wrecked it. In many cases the streams and forest roads are nearly decipherable.

And in addition to the graphic design travesties, there are also some serious geographic errors. The upper part of the Hicks Run drainage is all messed up. And they have Spring Creek labelled as Buffalo Run, just above Bellefonte.

Posted on: 2010/1/11 17:59

Quote:

PennKev wrote:
flybop,

I suppose it would depend on the make and model, but having experience with both road navigation GPS and traditional GPS, the dashboard GPS units are sorely lacking compared to a gazeteer or good topo maps loaded onto a GPS unit.

Everyone else,

Here is another option.

All-outdoors atlas & field guide

I've seen these first hand and the maps seem much better than the DeLorme gazetteers. At least they are easier to read as they are larger scale. There are versions for both East & West PA.

They also have better info for outdoor activities for each area.

I took a look at these as soon as they came out, and I thought the idea of doing an atlas at a larger scale than the DeLorme atlas was pretty exciting. But the copies I saw had severe printing or design problems. The stream lines and stream names were nearly illegible. Everything was fuzzy looking, as if they may have had registration problems in printing.

In my opinion these problems were bad enough to make the atlases nearly worthless. I would not have used them is someone gave them to me for free.

If they have fixed the technical problems great, I'll have to check them out again.

Posted on: 2010/1/11 18:08

Sounds like it might be a good idea to get the old gazetteers laminated and re-stapled if the new ones are that bad. I have two: one for grouseing and the other for trouting.

I use my dashboard GPS all the time, and it's supposedly one of the best, but I would hate to find myself in strange country without the gazetteer.

Posted on: 2010/1/11 18:08

From New Castle, PA
Quote:
But the copies I saw had severe printing or design problems. The stream lines and stream names were nearly illegible. Everything was fuzzy looking, as if they may have had registration problems in printing.

Didn't notice that problem when I looked through the West PA version about a week ago. My biggest problem is the price. $30 is a little steep when I already have the delorme, the free online PennDOt maps i linked, google earth, and a handheld gps with PA topo maps and additional software to view those maps on my PC.

Kev

Posted on: 2010/1/11 18:24

From Mont Co, Pa
I've got the 2000 edition. It's still in decent shape. The Gazetteer goes on EVERY wild trout adventure. It's got almost all of the back (dirt/gravel) roads and most streams. I love that thing! I even tape the pages I use most often so it wiill last.

Posted on: 2010/1/11 19:27

From Monessen, PA
Mine is older and I like it. If I wanted to get extra copies of the pre-new-design versions, what year should I stop looking? In other words, when did the new design come into effect? There are probably earlier editions in pristine condition being discounted at Gabriels, or Ollies, used book outlets, etc. I'd like to try to snag at least one more to replace my current one.

Of course, mine still thinks Rte 220 North to 322 East is the best way to get to State College from Holidaysburg....

Posted on: 2010/1/11 19:32

(1) 2 3 4 ... 8 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Do you keep a fishing journal?
Yes 52% (85)
No 47% (78)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/8/22 12:38
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com