Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 ... 8 »

Re: DeLorme PA Atlas & Gazetteer

From Mont Co, Pa
I still see some of the older additions around on shelves. Usually at places like the Mini Marts, WaWa's, ect.

Posted on: 2010/1/11 19:47

From Indiana PA
Just for fun, has anyone ever noticed Delorme puts (or used to) a small, hardly noticable reference point in their map books? I used to live in Punxsutawney & while studying the map one day I noticed a small outline of a groundhog just north of town, seriously hidden & hardly noticable. (In the next edition it was a little more noticable if not obvious.) Being curious I called Delorme and they confessed they did that just to see if anyone ever noticed & I was the first in PA to find "Punxsy Phil". They said there was a Rip Van Winkle in NY & a few other oddities in other maps.

Posted on: 2010/1/11 19:57

From harlansburg
what do you expect from a bunch of hippies in maine?

Posted on: 2010/1/11 19:58

From Pittsburgh
FDH - I noticed punxy phil in my gazeteer also.

Troutbert - When I first started flyfishing, I remember trying to find remote trout streams using the state road map. And cross referencing it with the Higbee stream map, which didn't have roads on it. It was pretty tough to do, and I frequently got lost.
The Delorme was a real godsend for me when it came out, and made it quite easy to find practically anything. And I've gone through at least 3 or 4 of them now
My current one is a 2003, or 8th edition. And it still goes on every lengthy fishing trip.
Sorry to hear that, apparantly , they screwed it up

Posted on: 2010/1/12 0:07

From lancaster county
Quote:
I have one that's an older edition that I use on all of my wild trout excursions. I wouldn't leave home without it.

Ditto

Posted on: 2010/1/12 1:19

From Johnstown, PA
Love em.......add a regular Pa road map and a Higbee fish map and go exploring , been doing it this way with those maps for at least 25 years. My daughter and her guy have a GPS unit which they swear by and i can think of at least a few things that it can do that you can't do with a map or set of maps , but i'm old , set in my ways , and have a lot of fun doing it my way. They play a game with the GPS unit called Geo=cache it's like an on line GPS scavenger hunt. It looks like fun and interesting. Is anyone old enough to remember Captain Parmenter and his map folding on F-TROOP?

Posted on: 2010/1/12 7:57

Quote:

JackM wrote:
Mine is older and I like it. If I wanted to get extra copies of the pre-new-design versions, what year should I stop looking? In other words, when did the new design come into effect? There are probably earlier editions in pristine condition being discounted at Gabriels, or Ollies, used book outlets, etc. I'd like to try to snag at least one more to replace my current one.

Of course, mine still thinks Rte 220 North to 322 East is the best way to get to State College from Holidaysburg....

The Tenth Edition of the DeLorme Atlas is when they wrecked it (IMHO). I believe that edition came out in 2007.

The Ninth Edition or any earlier editions are fine.

If anybody familiar with the older editions gets into a Barnes and Noble or Borders or whatever bookstore, take a close look at the new edition. Go to an area you're familiar with and try to check out the streams and forest roads etc.

I think the new design has made the maps MUCH harder to read, particularly for the type of thing we do, checking out obscure streams in rural areas. But I'd be curious to know what others think.

As I mentioned earlier, I thought the new Sportsmans atlases also had serious design and/or printing problems, that made stream lines and forest roads very hard to decipher.

But I'd be very interested in what people think of those too. Again, the test is to really look closely at areas you are familiar with and see if you can make out the stream lines, the tributaries, the forest roads etc.

If there are any cartography wonks in the house, I'd be interested in what you think happened with the DeLorme Atlas. My theory is that before they were designing the map with a graphic design program such as Adobe Illustrator. Then with the Tenth Edition they changed over to designing the map with a GIS program, i.e. straight out of a database. Which is less labor intensive, but which resulted in a severe loss of quality.

Also, DeLorme mapping was originated by a guy who wanted better fishing maps for himself and his friends, so they were detailed in regards to streams and back roads, etc.

But maybe they realized that the majority of people using the atlases were just driving from one town to another, i.e. general drivers, not outdoorsmen, so they changed the design emphasis in that direction.

Posted on: 2010/1/12 8:25

From Mont Co, Pa
I just looked more closely at mine. It's a 6th edition map, and I do see Punxsutawney (tough one) Phil on it. Somebody pays some serious attention to detail to pick that up!! I'm going to search out/buy another older Gazeteer just so I've got a back-up for the future.

Posted on: 2010/1/12 9:29

I just checked out Punxy Phil too. He's in my old edition copy. But not in the Tenth Edition.

Posted on: 2010/1/12 10:05

Troutbert, I agree with your assessment that there was a design change to accommodate folks that use it primarily for driving. I don't have the new style - - own two older versions - - but have looked at the newer and it is lacking in detail for what us fly folks use it for.

I have noticed the little Rip Van Winkle in the Catskills of the NY map. I thought it was odd since all the icons are in the legend 'cept for that one. It is located right next to the Devil's Path which is a very neat (and difficult!!) hiking trail thru the Catskills.

Posted on: 2010/1/12 10:18

From florida
DeLorme and Google Earth good combination.imo.Check the Atlas and Google the area,much better detail.

Posted on: 2010/1/12 10:22

From Gettysburg
Count me as another longtime fan - mine stays in my car and is much sun faded and severely worn with a couple bad attempts at lamination. I'm not sure how old it is but it's "pre State College I90." Sounds like I should hold on to this old copy.

Posted on: 2010/1/12 10:26

From SE PA - Montgomery County
Does anyone have the NJ or FL versions of the Gazetteer?

I was wondering if anyone finds it useful for locating good beach/inland waterway fishing locations?

I have a "Hot Spots" map for Charlotte Harbor, FL and it is very nice, but I was wondering if the Gazetteer has equal useful information.

Posted on: 2010/1/12 10:32

From harlansburg
troutbert, I agree 100%. I think they "dumbed" it down for the general public. I hate when companies do this. they left out most of the forest road numbers, and alot of the township/state road numbers, instead listing the road names. glad I still have my old one. I have them for a bunch of other states also, great for exploring, even vacation planning, good info on the front pages about parks, natural areas, etc.
there are no straight lines in the WV one!

Posted on: 2010/1/12 10:44

From York County
I bought the All Outdoors eastern PA version, it sucked. Yes it was larger scale, but streams and stream names are hard to see. Also it started to fall apart at the binding.

I have the new and older versions of the delorme. New version uses road names instead of T402, SR492 etc. and roads are color coded instead of all being red. They take up more space cluttering the map. Also elevation has beeen changed from meters to feet, which is better and SGL's and state forest are highlighted, which is a plus.

I think some things are good and some are bad about the new atlas. I have to try to find another older version my old one is showing it's age. I've seen both version side by side in the same gas stations so if your careful you can get the one you want

I keep mine in the magazine holders behind the driver and passenger seat in my vehicle. The kids get them sometimes which is why I have to buy a new one occassionally.

Posted on: 2010/1/12 15:10

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 ... 8 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com