Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 ... 5 6 7 (8)

Re: DeLorme PA Atlas & Gazetteer

From Mont Co, Pa
I grabbed the very last pre 2010 Pa Gazetteer from a K Mart with some inside info from k-bob (you're the man!). It's a 2001 7th edition, so now I've got the back-up I wanted.

Posted on: 2010/4/8 7:03

"I'm curious what other people think about the Sportsman's Connection All-Outdoors Atlas & Field Guides. I looked at the one for western PA, and I thought it was pretty bad. Lots of murky, fuzzy stuff. So much so that the small stream lines and small roads and small type were barely legible.

I haven't seen the eastern PA one yet. Maybe that one came out better?"

I have the eastern PA Sportsman's Connection All-Outdoors Atlas & Field Guides. It has the same problem for a small stream fly fisherman: the stream names are poorly printed in fuzzy gray... hard to read. And, these Sportsmen's books use a medium green to display state forest areas, and a darkish green for state game lands. So, one thing I often want from a map - the name of a stream in a SGL - is often impossible to read. Can't read fuzzy gray in dark green.

However, despite the printing problems, I still think the Sportsmens' maps are worth owning because they show special reg and natural reproduction trout streams in dashed color lines. These are often small and out of the way streams, and some don't appear on a delorme. You will often need to use a delorme or gps map to read the name of a stream shown in a color line on the Sportsmens' maps. But the fact that a stream is on the natural reproduction list is vey useful info to me.

Also, some untitled tributaries on the natural repoduction list are drawn in color lines on the Sportsman's Connection maps, and not shown at all some Delormes

For really small steams, it is probably best to carry a delorme, a sportsmen's guide, a Landis, and a gps!

Posted on: 2010/4/8 9:09

From Delaware Co.
Has anyone looked at the 11th edition yet ? Is it better than the tenth ? I am thinking about getting one .

http://www.christianbook.com/delorme- ... -froogle-_-books-_-332803

Posted on: 2010/4/12 13:05

The 11th edition has a similar design as the 10th. Some people think the new design is OK.

I think the ones before edition 10 are much better (editions 9 or earlier).

Posted on: 2010/4/12 16:42

« 1 ... 5 6 7 (8)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Goal during a day on the water....
Catching a single fish makes me happy 19% (18)
I want to catch every fish in the stream 4% (4)
50 dinks is a dream day 2% (2)
Only want to catch big fish 9% (9)
Catching the toughest fish in the steam is my goal 4% (4)
Beautiful place, hit the hatch and whatever happens, happens 29% (27)
Who cares? It beats work. 31% (29)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/11/27 22:13
Comments?

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com