Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Dave Weaver relic?

From Harrisburg
The guys not that old but I found this through the wvangler site and it does not quite look like his present versions. I wonder if he remembers painting this?

http://s2.beta.photobucket.com/user/r ... 2234674005224102716080311

Posted on: 2013/3/2 6:11

Re: Dave Weaver relic?

From Johnstown, PA
Dan........would love to see it , Daves work is great but i can't get it to load .......in case Dave responds to this i have a question i've been meaning to ask and that is , do you sell prints of your works , that brookie in your Avatar for instance? Another question i've been meaning to as is Dan.........How are the pups doin , met them at the last jam at hemlock acres and they are hard not to love , Hows the Pups?

Posted on: 2013/3/2 7:44

From Gettysburg
Yeah - I'm not that old - still not a relic!

Oh wait a minute....

Yep, that was my first hand colored print, probably about 20 years ago. I'd like to believe I've improved since then.

But still glad to see some of those relics are still floating around out there.

Posted on: 2013/3/2 18:19

From Harrisburg
Dear fishidiot,

Still, I imagine it's nice to see your 1st print, if only for comparisons sake? No doubt you have progressed as an artist.

It's probably not the right quote to use for an ex-serviceman but Chairman Mao said,"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step."

I'm an ex-serviceman and I'm keeping the Chairman's quote in my mind as I struggle with nature photography. The good thing is with digital I don't have the expense of film development, I can just delete what has been mostly garbage and start over.

Which brings a question, can you wear out a CF card?

Seriously though, you have a great eye and the ability to translate that to paper or canvas or whatever the heck you use. I am struggling to get that "eye".

I know what is visually interesting and appealing to me as I view the works of others but I'll be damned if I can figure out how to put that together with my work?

I hope to one day acquire that ability, may you always have yours!

Regards,

Tim Murphy

Posted on: 2013/3/3 8:45
"Then the coal company came with the world's largest shovel, and they tortured the timber and stripped all the land. Well they dug for their coal till the land was forsaken, then they wrote it all down as the progress of man."

From Ferguson Twp.
Dave, That's an impressive first colored print. Heck, it's impressive at any point. I really like it, well done. If you were a bottle of wine you would be ready for sale now.

Posted on: 2013/3/3 9:25

From chester ct
Dave - that is impressive! Period.

tl
les

Posted on: 2013/3/3 14:50

From LV
Tim,
I too am struggling with nature photography right now, it seem I've done better with slides then digiatl, but digital is less expensive. Right now I can't get the camera to focus on a moving bird, to be specific, a rough-legged hawk that is near my home.
Chaz
ps; I got the print to load.

Posted on: 2013/3/3 16:06

From Gettysburg
Thanks Guys.

Tim and Chaz,
I know nothing about photography (Dave Kile could probably answer your tech questions)..... however from an arts perspective one things I'd suggest if you're trying to photograph animals: Take the pic so that the final composition does not have the animal or fish in the center of the image (or crop the final image to this effect).

Good wildlife artists - do a search on artists like Robert Bateman, Mark Susinno, or Bob Kuhn - almost always have composition in the "rule of three" concept and the animal is just off center.
Looks much better.

Posted on: 2013/3/3 17:02

From Harrisburg
Quote:

Chaz wrote:
Tim,
I too am struggling with nature photography right now, it seem I've done better with slides then digiatl, but digital is less expensive. Right now I can't get the camera to focus on a moving bird, to be specific, a rough-legged hawk that is near my home.
Chaz
ps; I got the print to load.

Dear Chaz,

I'm working with relatively static things like deer and turkey. In reality given time to compose a shot any old lens will do considering my subjects.

If you really want to shoot birds in flight you might need to sell a few fly rods to pay for a new lens. That's not advice but merely a suggestion.

Better lenses yield better photographs, you have to determine how much dough you want to drop on your next picture though.

I'm old school, maybe I should say I'm unschooled? I saw good pictures in National Geographic in the 60's, and they weren't all just cool pictures of African women's boobies.

Those people back then had to twist on their lenses to get them to do anything. How in the name of God did they manage to survive?

Dave, aka Fishidiot has a response to my post that explains a lot about the artist's eye and photography. I'm just too hardheaded to listen, I hope you are better at following instructions than I am.

Raptors in flight getting their feed on is one of my numerous goals. Good luck with your quest Chaz.

Regards,

Tim Murphy

Posted on: 2013/3/3 17:24
"Then the coal company came with the world's largest shovel, and they tortured the timber and stripped all the land. Well they dug for their coal till the land was forsaken, then they wrote it all down as the progress of man."

From Harrisburg
Quote:
Dan.........How are the pups doin

Chicky had a scare with lyme disease but all is much better now. Still get excited when they see a rise and still do their best to help welcome every fish caught.
Little bastards.

Posted on: 2013/3/4 5:30

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes
No
Thinking about it
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll will close at 2014/10/31 17:56
Comments?

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com