DRAKES

TimRobinsin

TimRobinsin

I had a friend that wanted to know when to expect Green Drakes. I know for many of you this is a question that makes you cringe. I don't really chase the Drakes but I do make a yearly pilgrimage to Penns just by myself to enjoy the hatch.

My question is:

when is the earliest you can find drakes in PA? AAAANND...

if you could be so kind with out starting another spot burning thread...

where do they start and what is the progression?

I thought you will see Drakes starting in the next day or so on Pine and Kettle. Then the Loyalsock, Fishing creek, Penns and finally the Lil' J.

Any experienced guys care to chime in?

Again I'm not trying to burn anyones spot, just trying to learn a little more about our state and one of the more famous hatches we have. And spark a little conversation.

Dude it was my understanding that they hit Penns BEFORE Pine and Kettle. I wouldn't expect drakes in Potter before the first week in June (and Sandfly confirmed this w/ me a week ago in a PM), and maybe later this year due to temps.

I thought the hatch moved south to north, but I could be wrong. I chase the royal wulff hatch ;-)

I've seen them as early as mid-May, but that would be unusual (it did happen last year). To my knowledge, did NOT happen this year. This year, I'd expect you start seeing some pioneers pretty soon here, but the 1st week of June to be prime.

Regarding where, they will start earlier in warmer water locations. We're only talking a few days difference here. But for instance on Penns, the old adage is that they start down around Glen Iron and work progressively upstream towards Coburn. And this is true. However, ABOVE Coburn, before Elk Creek runs in, the water is warmer, and there is a hatch up there, and they come earlier, like they do down closer to the bottom end of the gorge.

And while there's overlap, the peak spinner fall happens a day or so later than the peak hatch in any given location.

Yes, I'd expect lower Pine and Kettle, the Allegheny below Coudersport, etc., to start earlier than the others, and start working upstream like th eothers. Penns will pick up a little after that. And Fishing after that. I'm not as familiar with the Loyalsock.

Nevermind...he did say they start the week before Memorial Day and go through the first week in June, but could be later this year due to temps.

Slate Run says that March Browns and Gray Foxes are the ticket right now. That was posted today.

Okay....why am I under the impression that the drakes on the Pine and Kettle started AFTER Penn's? I've caught the hatches on those streams several times but my memory could be fuzzy-plus I admit to not following the hatch on Penn's.

I KNOW I caught the drakes on the upper Kettle AND Lyman in June, though. That's probably influencing my memory.

Sasquatch,

I'm not sure on exact timing up north, only hit em up there one year, it was years ago, and 1 season isn't real reliable to know peak times. I do recall that it was pretty much over on the Allegheny and 1st Fork by the time school was out for the summer, though (I was a teacher, and this was dissapointing).

On Penns, in most years, first week of June is really prime time too. But that's plus or minus probably 2-3 weeks based on the season's weather. And it only lasts a week. So.....

Can make a pretty good guess based on the timing of other hatches. So far this spring, things have been about average, which is far later than last year! During the jam, I spent two evenings on Penns and saw not a single pioneer of a drake, but there were still March Browns around, and that all probably means things were not imminent or anything. If, right now, I had to pick a weekend, I'd pick June 1, 2 for Penns, and if I had a whole week I'd pick the week after that and be open to moving to any area of the stream.

Subject to change, of course. And I'm sure Jonas will be right on top of it as soon as the first reports roll in. Note, though, that even a few pioneers can look pretty dang impressive and people get all excited. It doesn't mean the peak hatch is there, but probably does mean it's only a few days away.

I'll be up in God's Country June 7th-14th, and to be honest, I fully expect to see them this year. It's been so bloomin' cold this spring. We are seeing stream reports on the Pine where guys are still saying the fishing is off due to cold water.

Slate Run is hinting at the drakes starting soon, but I haven't seen any clear statements that even the pioneers have been spotted.

For those in the Endless Mountains, doesn't the 'Sock warm up pretty quickly? I would expect early hatches there.

i have seen them the past few days, not in alot of numbers but they are there

You should visit this website. It will tell you when the drakes are going to start on Penns Creek.

I'd have to think the duns will start anytime. The spinners will be a while yet. Reports of them already trickling off on Delaware and beaverkill.

I always thought because pine and kettle get warm pretty quick they always seemed to get the GD's first. Could be wrong. Either way I'm doing a suicide run next tuesday or wednesday or both.

I'd guess that Pine, with it's length, might start before (on the lower end) and end after (on the upper end) when compared to Penns. Just depends on what your exact location is.

Yes I'm trying to put it together and I think you're right, Pcray.

Also, what effect does the weather have on it? It could be significantly colder up in Tioga/Potter than it is in State College, right?

I always kinda thought the Big D got the GD's last. around the first week of june. It was incredibly low up there so maybe that sped things up.

Low is a growing trend around here. our local streams are in bad shape. if we don't get lots of rain soon its going to be a rough year

Its coming the next few days. I was up on a trib yesterday in northern Lancaster and it was low, though definitely not deathly low.

Were you on the Run yesterday, Tim? Its pretty skimpy right now I take it?

Also, what effect does the weather have on it?

Lots, though it might not be the immediate time frame that matters. Think of bug hatching cycles like slow cooking. They hatch when their done.

They do cook faster when it's hotter. But they started cooking last year. The last couple of days is like the last 10 seconds when cooking. It doesn't mean all that much. Weather might be the difference between a moderate hatch all day long or a heavy hatch in the evening, but it's not going to move the overall timing of the hatch up much.

That said, an overall late fall coupled with an early spring will move it up considerably.

Back