DC Area

L

LV_Limestoner

Hi all. I just moved to the DC area from the Lehigh Valley. Anyone from this area? I will be here for a few years. I am looking for some help. I am hop;ing that there is a local trout stream closer than an hour from here. Where is the best and nearest fly shops that I need to know about? Finally, anyone want to go fishing?

Welcome to the site. The Lehigh Valley doesnt have any good fly shops it sucks but thats just the way it is. With a name like LV Limerstoner you must know something about the LV streams here's my advice. Pick one of the big 4 find a spot to park and go fishing. If it's a limestone stream it holds fish and they love size 20 pt's and zerba midges. If that doesnt work come back on the site again and we'll try and help you out!

PS go down to the OT section and vote for me thanks and have a nice day!

LV,
Welcome to PAFF. Trout fishing around DC is abysmal. I think the closest stocked stream would be Northwest Branch but it warms in the summer and I don't believe it holds wild trout. This stream is just west of College Park. Better bets would be further north. If you're lucky with traffic (always a poor bet around DC) you might take an hour to get up to the upper Patuxent in Howard County or the South Mountain area west of Frederick where there are a lot of trout fishing opportunities. Shenandoa NP in VA might be reachable in an hour or so and has lotsa trout fishing. I don't know of any fly shops in DC although there may be one somewhere. If trout are your passion, push your drive time from an hour to two hours and you'll have a lot more opportunities.

Welcome to the site. The Lehigh Valley doesnt have any good fly shops it sucks but thats just the way it is. With a name like LV Limerstoner you must know something about the LV streams here's my advice. Pick one of the big 4 find a spot to park and go fishing. If it's a limestone stream it holds fish and they love size 20 pt's and zerba midges. If that doesnt work come back on the site again and we'll try and help you out!

PS go down to the OT section and vote for me thanks and have a nice day!

Nice campaigning, but the dude said he moved from LV to DC and is looking for DC streams.

LV,

Where in the DC area. I'm in Berryville VA moved from Loudoun County started to get a little over populated for me. Drive to DC every day to the 5 sided building. SNP is the better of the trout fishing. In town you can fish stockies at 4 mile run during the spring.

Joe e

I live in Silver Spring (410 @ Grubb Road). What is SNP?

Shenandoah National Park.

Go to Front Royal on 66, turn south...

I wouldnt know about the trout, but the Potomac RIver gets AWESOME shad runs in the spring. Led-core lines, short leaders and flashy flies are the name of the game. Oh ou might need a boat too. Fletcher's Cove in the C&O Canal National Historical Park rents out row boats at decent prices.

THere is a whole slew of guys down there dedicated to the shad and striped bass that frequent the Potomac. THey are ready to share what they know too.

THe patomic really is a great fishery if you can access it. Theres also snakehead, smallmouth and largemouth bass, and lotsa panfish.

TIght Lines

In addition to what has been said:

Develop an interest in smallmouth bass, redbreast sunfish/hybrids, and carp. Go to the C & O Canal towpath hiker-biker trail and hike or bike as far above Great Falls as you like until you find good looking Potomac River habitat that you can wade within reasonable distance of the path. You could spend all of your spare fishing time exploring within an hour's drive (depending on rush hour and the heaviness of your foot) and not fish the same stretch twice. Portions of the middle and lower Monocacy are also good but keep in mind that it muddies badly after a rain.

The area mentioned is rolling hills and very attractive despite being part of the DC metro catchment.

I have never FF the Potomac, but I can attest that it is an amazing bass fishery. One of my all time favs.

I'm another DC area fisher, but I live far enough away from the city that the Patuxent is a very short drive. I guess it's a trade I'm willing to make seeing as I drive 45 minutes into Bethesda every day. The drive from Silver Spring to the Patuxent shouldn't be very bad at all. There are no fly shops around here that I know of. There's a Bass Pro Shop just South of Baltimore, maybe 45 minutes from you if you don't go during rush hour, but that's about it.

Check out that Anacostia along the eastern edge of DC... :-D

I grew up(depending on who you ask) in McLean, VA. To my knowledge the best fishing within approximately an hour was probably on Big Hunting Creek(and surrounding streams) north of Fredrick, MD. It took right around an hour to drive from McLean. Go out 495/270 West/rt 15 North to the town of Thurmont, MD and lookd for signs for Cunningham Falls State Park/Catoctin Mountain Nat Park. I haven't been out that way in years, but it used to be a very nice stream to fish with a nice fly fishing only area. I'm sure it's a little warm right now, but it should be nice in the fall/winter/spring. Good luck.

Thanks everone for the input. I did take a road trip to the Gunpowder yesterday just to look around. The water seems nice but the hour drive will take some getting used to. If anyone has anymore info or wants to go out plz let me know.

better take up bass fishing. passage creek in front royal is good puntil may. There is a stocked stream near braddock road in fairfax. Quantico stocks trout for the winter and spring but its a crap shoot. I fished there once and caught nothing. Best bet is to fish SNP or comeback to South Central PA.

Hi LV Limestoner,

Welcome to Maryland. You're not to far off from good fishing and some streams that were mentioned are great. The Upper Patuxent in Damascus is your closest wild trout stream with exception to the Paint Branch (really not worth fishing). The upper Potomac is an awesome smallmouth fishery and I've been hammering them lately on poppers. Most of the streams in the mountains in Frederick hold natives, wild browns, and get stocked heavily. Baltimore County has the highest number of wild trout streams in the state and finding them can be fairly easy. Bring a thermometer and a friendly smile when knocking on doors. I grew up in MOCO, Lived in Franklin Co for 1.5 years, and currently live in Frederick. If you need any help finding places to fish give me a pm and I'll put you on fish...

~mike

Thanks Mike. I will definately get in touch with you.

I went to Beaver Creek this past Tuesday. I obviously dont know the stream but I think that the water was low. Stream temp was 61 degrees farenheight. It was sunny with low winds. I caught 2 browns. The larger one was appx. 9 inches. It was damn nice to catch some trout after all of that work (research and such). Thanks to all for advice. I have a lot of places on my list to visit now.

Beaver is a great stream and I'm glad you had some luck. Those browns are all wild transports from the Gunpowder and there are much larger fish in there. Be sure to bring plenty of small scuds and large streamers with you. Hit me up if you need advice on your next outing...

Back