Custom Fly boxes

Nymph-O-Maniac

Nymph-O-Maniac

I'm going to attempt to paint my own fly boxes. Anyone out there know what type of paint to use to prevent chipping and the water affecting it?

P.S move this thread if it isn't in the right sub forum.

I believe you can get a ruberized paint check lowes or homedepot. I know they make it because I used some on my basement walls a few years back.

I'm not sure there are many artists that paint here but why don't you just find a way to use wax and polish it? Make sure you give your paint time to setup before you do it. Find some bees wax. It will buff up nice and look more natural.

Ah both great info. I'll look into both.

Wait. You mean like paint a scene or fish or something or just paint the outside of the box? What is the box made of? I assume you meant you wanted to paint things on the box versus just painting it a solid color.

jdaddy points taken, once you decide what materials to use, then make a couple tests. Each paint or clearcoat may dry to a different texture. You may want the aesthetics, but don't neglect the utility. A rubberized outer texture may make it difficult to slip in and out of pockets or even in very hot weather (perhaps) become tacky. Definitely run some tests before making too many boxes.

For a wood box, polyeurethane and paste wax.

jdaddy wrote:
Wait. You mean like paint a scene or fish or something or just paint the outside of the box? What is the box made of? I assume you meant you wanted to paint things on the box versus just painting it a solid color.

Aluminum fly boxes. Not scenes per se but yea that.

Back