Cumberland Valley Camping?

greenghost

greenghost

It's been too long since I fished the limestoners of Cumberland Valley, so I figure I'd take a few days soon and do just that. I plan on simply setting up my pop tent at a clean campground that's centrally located.

Mountain Creek Campground seems like a good option, though I sense it may get crowded with families. Deer Run seems like an option too, but I know nothing about it.

Any recommendations? I'll be fishing YB, Big Spring, Letort, Falling Springs. Thanks!

Pine Grove Furnace State Park seems a reasonable choice to me. It is definately not just a Fisherman's campground and it would seem that you can expect a lot of people drawn by the swimming lakes. It is just a bit east of all of your destinations, so maybe you want something closer. There are a couple smaller runs in the area that I have been wishing to explore for wild brook trout. I have not personally camped there yet, but have hiked and biked and explored in the area. It would seem to be the typical PA State Park camping experience if you like that (I do).

Fowler Hollow State Park campground is small, out in the woods, and wasn't crowded when I was there.

It unfortunate that the DCNR has a campground occupying the floodplain of a brook trout stream, but it's a quiet place to camp.

I stayed at Mountain Creek a few years ago and had a good experience. However, it was early season so it was likely quieter than usual. Lots of good little mountain streams nearbt, Mountain Creek runs right through the property. You're kind of smack dab in the middle of the Letort and Falling Springs.

I'll second Mountain Creek Campground and Pine Grove Furnace SP (they are very close).

I like Fowler's Hollow, but its far from them. Pine Grove Furnace is nice, and would get my vote.

Back