Crawfish_Crayfish

fadeaway263

fadeaway263

I have never fished a crawfish. What is the best way? Stripping like a streamer? Anyone fished one in a a SE Pa stream?

Depends what your fishing for and what type of fly you are using .
I mainly use this two when fishing a crawfish :-D
Crawfish Hop

Or dead drifting Clouser Crawfish

What Frederick said.

Next time you're wading a creek or river with crayfish, observe their behaviour as your feet approach them: most will attempt to back tail first under rocks but, failing this, they'll launch off the bottom with their tail in an erratic, thumping flight pattern in which their claws compress together in a supple elongated position. As the cray does this his claws will wiggle from side to side - which is why a large clump of marabou such as on a Wooly Bugger or Holshag Hackle fly is so effective. When he "lands", his claws will splay back out in defensive position. These flight leaps are typically less than 3 feet, esp in water deeper than a couple feet. Smallmouth bass are usually strongly keyed on this shape and action, esp with the warmer waters of summer. I like heavily weighted flies tied to ride hook up using dumbell weights for this game. Olive and reddish brown are great for clear water. If the water is stained go with black for greater visibility. Remember, you want your fly to hop on the bottom so an upstream cast will allow this. If you cast across or downstream, if there is any significant current, your fly will ride too high in the water column.

Back