Couple questions

K

Kill3ducks1deer

I will be heading up to Laurel Hill creek to help stock in a few weeks wanted to ask a few questions about wild trout streams in the area. I have about 10 or so wild trout creeks lined up, but I am not sure what they all hold nor do I know if they hold fish anymore since the PFBC doesn't update it very often, I don't really expect them to go and survey every creek each year so it is understandable.

Also I have been looking at Mill creek to fish for some wild trout, supposedly they have wild browns? I'm not asking for your spot or anything, if someone could PM me that is familiar with the area so I could get an idea of what creeks would be best that would be awesome. Like I said, I already have a decent amount of possible creeks, I would just like to narrow the list down.

If you don't feel like reading all that could someone familiar with the Laurel Highlands area PM so I could ask a few questions about a few wild trout creeks.

Just to clarify, the main reason I said I wanted a PM is so that I can prevent a big argument on spot burning.

I think you'll have your best luck if you go ahead and name the streams and ask that any info be PM'ed to you. The streams are on the natural reproduction list and we know your target area already.

On a different note, if you have 10 streams that you are curious about, I'd say go ahead and fish them all. I've had great days on creeks that are not on the natural reproduction list at all. They were in areas that had other wild trout streams or just looked trouty and sure enough they held fish. i've also had good days on streams that others have not doen well on. The opposite is also true.

And one more thing, a funny thing about naming streams is that some of the people who do the most complaining about it also give so much info about their "secret" streams, that you don't even need the name. Just read their posts, look at the poster's location, then pull up your maps and stream listings. Have had some good days on the water by adding up the clues and then going to see if I'm right.

Kev

PennKev

I just wanted to chime that if you do find a stream that has a good population of fish but is not on the nat repro list, consider letting PFBC know. You are probably already aware of this but they have a huge unassessed streams project in progress. The real goal of getting streams on the nat repro list is so more streams can be protected especially now that fracking is the hot topic. If you want that spot to be there in years to come, report your findings.

yeah its not a wild trout stream until the pfbc stocks it with hatchery browns and bows.

UFMGuy wrote:
PennKev

I just wanted to chime that if you do find a stream that has a good population of fish but is not on the nat repro list, consider letting PFBC know. You are probably already aware of this but they have a huge unassessed streams project in progress. The real goal of getting streams on the nat repro list is so more streams can be protected especially now that fracking is the hot topic. If you want that spot to be there in years to come, report your findings.

Some good advice.

UFMGuy wrote:
PennKev

Truthfully I didn't think of that, I doubt I will find any that aren't already found, not to close to the area to go exploring hit or miss creeks. But if I ever do, I will definitely let them know.

There are many Mill Creeks in the Laurel Highlands, which one?

I think he means the one with the Mill on it.

Seriously, he probably means the one northeast of Ligonier. There are wild browns on the middle south prong of the north branch. But you have to walk a mile through thick briar to fish it.

Kill3ducks1deer wrote:
UFMGuy wrote:
PennKev

Truthfully I didn't think of that, I doubt I will find any that aren't already found, not to close to the area to go exploring hit or miss creeks. But if I ever do, I will definitely let them know.

I live in SE PA, where you think all potential streams would have been surveyed, simply because the population is the densest, there are less "trouty" streams, etc. That isn't the case and all the streams haven't been surveyed. That doesn't mean they haven't been "found", so I'd keep an open mind and agree 100% with PennKev. Go out and try them all; you might find some winners.

JackM wrote:
I think he means the one with the Mill on it.

Seriously, he probably means the one northeast of Ligonier. There are wild browns on the middle south prong of the north branch. But you have to walk a mile through thick briar to fish it.

Ya that's the one, I'm young, walking doesn't bother me, but I am very impatient so finding out the creek that I thought had fish doesn't have any, would drive me nuts

Back