Correct Striking Technique

M

manotheskip

Hello all,

I am new to this site, and also new to fly fishing.

I was out on darby creek, near Phila, fly fishing for some stockies, using a dry fly, (name size i have no idea, it was white, and not tiny not huge, the other one was a grey, same size) I bought a box of dries, wet and nymphs from canadian tire while i was still in Toronto. my rod is too big and heavy, 8wt, 8 ft, martin. I had to go cheap cause i wanted to see if i would like it.

ANYWAY, for the first time ever, i had trout hit my fly. The first hit, I striked, the way i would using a spinning rod, and the fly snapped off, (i guess in the fish's mouth) the second time i missed.

Those have been the only trout hits i've had on the fly. Is there a correct technique? Am i striking too hard? too early?

thanks,

Manny

Lift the rod, strip the line slightly all in one motion.

with ultra lite don't strike raise your rod a little and release line in your left hand-but I will leave it to the dry fly pros who know who they are to give clearer answer.

Remember that a flyrod... being much longer than a spinning rod, has far more leverage. You only need to "snug" the fly in place. As gfen said, just lift the rod up (with a deliberate sweep), while stripping line in with your line hand. You actually don't even need to lift the rod if you strip the line in fast enough.

Lifting up will pull the fly out (missed) try keeping the rod tip down and strike to the side. Also if the rod tip points to the fly all you have to do is give a sharp pull with the line hand (slip strike). if you miss, alot of times the fish will turn and hit the fly again. lifting takes the fly out of the strike zone..a slip strike will keep it the zone longer.

mano,
Welcome to the board and welcome to our wonderful sport. In a few years you can join us addicts in our twelve step program. :-D

Anyway, I'll second what sandfly said. To some degree, how hard you can strike depends on the breaking tensile strength of your tippet. In FFing for trout you're likely to be using some fine line and it will break if you strike too hard - this is especially true if the fish hits downstream in current and your rod tip is low. Also, when you see a fish rise to take a fly on the surface, try to wait till he actually eats it and turns back downward before you strike. It's really more a matter of "tightening up" rather than a "strike" as it's understood with spin tackle.

When trout are taking dry flies, you seldom have to really strike, simply lift the rod tip, the trout will do the rest. While fishing with nymphs and streamers, I usually do the same and the trout is hooked, it isn't like the guys on TV bass shows.

I had issues with my knots... big buggers and big fish downstream, got over-excited on the strike and pulled too hard only to lose the fly on a line/knot break. Took more time on my knots and let the strike play out led to more hook-ups.

Thank you all so much for your help. I am goin gto head out now again and see if i can trick a few trout to biting, (If there are any left in the creek)

I have to remember the tips, and not get overexcited. It was the first trout to fall for my fly. I'm finally getting presentation down!!! One step at a time! Soon I'll have pictures!

Back