Conservation Science or Pennsylvania Politics

F

FishTales

http://www.philly.com/philly/news/pennsylvania/fish-boat-commission-funding-fishing-trout-harrisburg-20180306.html?update&mobi=true

Thank you Mr. Arway for the work and attention you have given to our PA waterways. Wild trout, Stocked trout, and Susquehanna bass fishing are far better now then 10 or maybe even 20 years ago.

Thanks for the work with the wild trout.

A license increase is overdue.

“Even if the cure for cancer was within that licensing bill, I don’t think there would be the motivation for the members of the committee or the House to pass it,” said House Game and Fisheries chair Keith Gillespie (R., York).

what an ignorant thing to say. Just when I thought politicians couldn't be any more despicable.

I know I'll be using my vote to vote out the "powers at be" in May and November.
John IMHO he is doing a very good job for us the fisherman of Pennsylvania and I will not be angry when the stocking numbers go down.

FUBAR

I also think Mr. Arway has done a good job -- under difficult circumstances. He has worked hard for fish and fishermen.

I agree with Ryan that what Gillespie said was ignorant/despicable.

To support Mr. Arway, I think we have to contact our state reps. I am going to do that as soon as I finish this post.

It's really sad that the situation has come to this.

Mr. Arway, I had the pleasure of speaking with you in Erie on Saturday. You really seem to "get it" and I have utmost respect for you as a person and fisherman, and as the Executive Director. Thank you for all the great work you have done. It's really a huge shame that the politicians in Harrisburg are the way they are, and it's also a shame that the general license buying public is stuck in their old ways. PA is an amazing state with amazing fisheries. Our hatchery fish certainly have their time and place and I greatly enjoy those fisheries every year, but there's sooo many other fantastic fisheries that are worth buying a license for no matter the cost. We need to find ways to increase the public's interest in buying a license, even if their little creek down the road is cut from the stocking list.

It looks to me like Arway was using some political tactics on politicians, and politicians fired back with a big "HOW DARE YOU! WHO DO YOU THINK YOU ARE! YOU WILL NEVER WORK IN THIS TOWN AGAIN.

The politicians have turned this into political horsh hit.

I like Arway and I am in no way blaming him for the mess. I probably would have done the same thing... and got fired.

Sure he needs to make cuts if the increase isn't approved. But proposing that the cuts be deepest in districts that oppose the increase is throwing down the gauntlet (politically speaking).

Kind of like school districts do when they don't get a levy passed. They cut where it will hurt the voters/taxpayers most, like cutting school buses.

Sentence Deleted > inappropriate language and reference

There, I said it.

I don't live in PA and haven't even bought a license yet, but you guys need to flood these politicians mailboxes in support of Arway and the increase, that is, if you support it.

I don't really care about the increase, or stocked trout. ;-)

I buy a non-res license, which I think went up a few years back. It's still chump change compared to what I spend on a single trip.

I think Arway is great for fishing, IMO he did the right thing.

I hope the next man up does the samething and so forth,until they get the message

I sent a second letter to my Rep. last night...

I will be sending another one to Gillespie asking for his resignation. It’s particularly appalling to having lost a love one to cancer. I hope you York Co guys will do likewise.

I am honestly so enraged over these asshats putting their political agenda ahead of the greater good of the Commonwealth, the taxpayers and our future generations...

VOTE THE BUMS OUT!

I agree but to what end?

Vote them out and get another hat that does the same thing.

FarmerDave wrote:

But proposing that the cuts be deepest in districts that oppose the increase is throwing down the gauntlet (politically speaking).

Is that actually what happened?

I'm just asking, hoping someone can clarify the situation.

troutbert wrote:
FarmerDave wrote:

But proposing that the cuts be deepest in districts that oppose the increase is throwing down the gauntlet (politically speaking).

Is that actually what happened?

I'm just asking, hoping someone can clarify the situation.

I posted a link to this article not long ago. It spells out the political side of the whole situation pretty well.

Fish Politics

Arway said the Fish and Boat commission had made a similar threat to close hatcheries in 2013 but backed off after lawmakers pledged to work to help the agency find a solution to its need for more revenue.

But after more than three years of trying to get that support, the Fish and Boat Commission gave him the authority to make the cuts Arway felt were necessary.

Determinations involving which hatcheries and which trout stocking areas would be cut involve a couple of factors, Arway said, including economics and fishing activity in the areas. But he said there was a "political variable" as well.

It would not make sense “to create controversy for legislators that supported us,” Arway said.

The cuts “minimized the impacts” in the districts of lawmakers who've worked to get the agency the authority to increase license fees, Arway said. He didn't dispute that doing so meant that it appeared that opponents were targeted for cuts.

“All of sudden a political firestorm started,” Arway said.

salvelinusfontinalis wrote:
I agree but to what end?

Vote them out and get another hat that does the same thing.

If they know they will be held accountable that's a giant step in the right direction. Watching someone else get fired from their job for doing the same thing you're doing could be a major motivator.

This situation largely exist because entrenched incumbency has emboldened certain members of the PA legislature to engage in these petty and retributive actions. One round of "vote em out" isn't going to do much. It's a little like washing a big ink stain out of a white shirt. You can get a start on it with a single wash, but it going to take multiple cycles to get your shirt back to being wearable..

It is going to take constant scrutiny and engagement on the part of concerned voters to ever change anything in these sort of situations. And if there is one thing that we have a pretty spotty record on it is taking time out of our allegedly busy lives to actually participate in the care and feeding of our democracy.

I'm not real optimistic...

^that

I am an Arway fan.

Having said that, I spoke directly with my rep, who is a good one IMO, today and was told that Mr. Arway did "throw down the gauntlet" by saying "We know who our friends are" when he and the FBC decided which hatcheries to close. I fear this comment is going to cost him dearly and is going to affect the tenure of future Ex. Directors of the PFBC. It really is a shame when you think of all the good things he has done and his tireless efforts to place the commission on a sound financial footing.

Anyhow, since his saying what he is reported to have said appears to be true, I'm afraid that RLeep's post 16 is oh so true.

This is truly a sad, sad situation.

"We know who our friends are" Innaccurate quote. Don’t believe everything you read in newspapers. We have legislative supporters but not sure we have true friends. “Friends come and friends go, but a true friend sticks by you like family.” Proverbs 18:24

These antics by the legislature are disgusting. I will be sure to give my local reps an ear full.

Back