Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Conneaut Creek Steelhead???

From Lower Burrell
Heard some people are heading to Ohio to fish for spring-run steelhead in Conneaut Creek. Do these fish run all the way into the Pennsylvania section of Conneaut Creek??

Posted on: 2010/3/31 11:56

Re: Conneaut Creek Steelhead???

From on elk creek fishing
yes

Posted on: 2010/3/31 12:01

From girard pa
yes they make it to the pa water they get a pretty good run some years. i have never relly fished it so i dont know what kinda water is there or how good access is.

Posted on: 2010/3/31 12:08

From Lower Burrell
Hmm.... almost makes me wanna take a trip to check it out. I think my neighbors is fishing it in Ohio today. I'll see how they do...

Posted on: 2010/3/31 13:01

From Other side of the tracks
They make it way up there. Supposedly they make it all the way up to about dicksonburg (passed Conneautville).

But the part in Crawford county might be closed due to it being ATW (stocked with stream trout). I don't know for sure but it would be worth checking out. Lots of it in Erie County though.

However, I'm not sure Ohio stocks it anymore and I think PA picked up the slack, and the PA strain tend to be more fall runners. Still, you probably get some PA, and some Ohio.

I think Ohio's is called a London strain. Anyway, they are long and slender and Spring spawners. the ones they uset to sock were Little Mannistee (sp) and looked like footballs with fins. I could have toe two types miced up, but not the shapes.

Posted on: 2010/3/31 14:50

From pittsburgh
this fall i walked a decent stretch of conneaut i seen one fish and this was in november when the run is supposed to be good and never been back since

Posted on: 2010/3/31 22:42

-me

From New Castle, PA
The run was not "good" this fall. Connie had the same problem as all the other Erie tribs for the fall run only more so cause the fish shoot right through it, leaving few large groups of fish. There were some fish in Albion PA by at least mid-November. Additionally, while I did not catch a lot of fish on Conneaut this year, I caught much more fish than were visible while fishing.

Kev

Posted on: 2010/3/31 22:52

yes we stock our manistees with your hybrid lake run rainbows! the fish run all the way up in Albion "no secret" and I have caught adult steelhead in I believe game lands 101 in PA. Ohio unlike PA Conneaut has alot of exposed lime stone, and less muck in Ohio. You guys still stock Tiger Muskies in your section of Conneaut? I'm sure you still do I have seen Tiger Musky fry in Ohio its amazing how far they will travel! I just ask one huige favor when fishing in my state please dont tresspass. Conneaut has alot of private property access. PA and Ohio still stocks 75,000, and as you can see we do not stock as many fish as you do. Hey folks here is a map for my friends http://www.dnr.state.oh.us/Portals/9/pdf/conneaut.pdf enjoy gents! We have not stocked London Strain Steelhead in several years, and they are Manistees correct. I wish we did not stock Conneaut..lol... anymore so you can pick up the slack ..lol.. Could not resist!

Posted on: 2010/4/1 18:58

From Dispositionally, one mile south of Lake LeBoeuf
Before anybody travels too far to fish the PA section of Conneaut Creek, you should be aware that that the majority of it is more of a trench than a trout/steelhead stream. From well below Albion (slightly above US 6N to be specific) and including the West and East Branches, clear up into the Crawford county section, the stream is slow, deep and mud-banked. Counting the branches and the main stem, this probably 25 or more miles of water. This is what makes it passable muskie water. You can probably count the riffles in this entire section on both hands. I've even had decent largemouth fishing in the branches. That's what sort of water it is. There is good riffle/pool water in the last several miles before the stream crosses into Ohio and then again in the approved trout water Dave mentioned.

The point though is that it isn't at all like Elk Creek where you can plunk in anywhere there is access and find fishable water.

Posted on: 2010/4/2 10:21

From New Castle, PA
Quote:
The point though is that it isn't at all like Elk Creek where you can plunk in anywhere there is access and find fishable water.

Yes, this is definately true for the stream in PA. Ohio is a different story. It is like two different creeks depending on which stretch you fish. There is plenty of good water on the lower half of the creek.

Kev

Posted on: 2010/4/3 0:34

From Lower Burrell
Are there really alot of musky in there? A fishable population? Never targeted musky in a stream.... where are they commonly fished for at?

Posted on: 2010/4/3 10:18

Yes there is a fishable population!

Posted on: 2010/4/4 8:55

From Lower Burrell
Hopin to get up there in early march to see if they got a good spring run this year.

Posted on: 2011/2/5 22:28

If going up there for stream musky interests you, probably Cussewago creek would be better, or I should say, IS a better musky water. Also floating the Allegheny from around Tidioute to West Forrest is a good place to find muskies. I caught my 1st on a fly rod by accident this summer above Oil city. It was in the mid-30's and I handled it find on my 7 wt.
Syl

Posted on: 2011/2/8 22:38

From Other side of the tracks
Quote:

TroutBuster wrote:
Hopin to get up there in early march to see if they got a good spring run this year.

I'm gonna assume you mean the spring steelhead run and not the musky since you dug up this old thread that started about Steelhead.

IMO I think the odds are good for that this year. From what I heard, we had miserable fall runs in Ohio. The steelhead stocked by Ohio produce a better winter and spring run. That said, I think most of the steelhead stocked in Conneaut Creek are actually stocked by PA (if not all). so who knows.

Posted on: 2011/2/9 7:40

(1) 2 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Do you keep a fishing journal?
Yes 52% (85)
No 47% (78)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/8/22 12:38
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com