Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 ... 15 »

Re: Competitive Fly-fishing

From Pittsburgh
Allthough, I i just wanna travel. lol

Posted on: 2011/1/24 10:54

Well I most likely in the minority here but i will give my opinion. How many of you have actually been or seen a real FIPS MOUCHE international fly fishing compitition. Im sure some of the people on this forum have been there but I can tell by some of the responses that most havent. I got into comp fly fishing as a way to learn new techniques and meet and fish with the best anglers from around the world. Its not the crazy bassmaster classic style that people are making it out to be. We fish small sections of water so you need to be steathly and delicate most of the time. I spend quite a bit of time casting from my knees. Dry fly fishing is a very important aspect of comp fishing. Its not all the chuck and duck stlyle people think. It also bring spectators from all over who watch and get involved espically with kids. Most of us love nothing more than relaxing and fishing dries to rising fish fish and taking in the solitude but its nice to compete and share knowledge with fisherman from around the world. The techniques that I have aquired from fishing with people from Poland, Japan, Austraila and Ireland have helped me become a much better fisherman. The best thing you can do is go out and enjoy the world of flyfishing as you prefer just keep an open mind regarding compitition fishing.

Posted on: 2011/1/24 11:40

The thing I've always disliked about FF tourneys is that they take away two of (what I believe are) the most important aspects of successful fly-fishing: choosing the prime stretches of stream to fish and choosing the optimum time to be on the water given the conditions.

Also, many of the rules never made sense to me. No split shot or indicators, weird rules about how you can construct your rig... who decides this stuff?

On the other hand, I've always thought that the one fly tournament was a cool idea. If you're going to host a fishing tournament, you might as well do it for a good cause!

Posted on: 2011/1/24 11:41

From Johnstown, PA
It's a personal choice for me to want to keep it just the way it is for myself. As long as it's legal for those that want to get involved , they should be able to make the choice they are comfortable with. I fished in a local bass tournament on Shawnee Lake , it was $20.00 or so to get in , a friend with a boat took me as his partner. We did not catch anything at all , There were prizes i don't remember , some cash , we got skunked. I just don't want to go down that path with fly fishing and i rather not see that happen on a large scale.

Posted on: 2011/1/24 11:43

From Pretty much everywhere at some point, Thorndale today.
midnight,

I totally agree with what you said. Yes, two of the most important things that make a good flyfishermen is knowing where to be and when to be there. I'd rank those two factors higher than any other skill a flyfisherman can achieve. The competitions do take that away. And are the heavy nymphs so popular only cause you can't use shot?

Nonetheless, I'm still interested in their techniques and curious about being a spectator. No, I've never been to one to see it in person, only read the stories and rankings and watched the video's of the techniques and so forth.

Posted on: 2011/1/24 12:12

I also agree with Midnight regarding choosing the prime stretches of stream to fish and choosing the optimum time to be on the water given the conditions. Have you ever been on a stretch of class A water and knew there was fish there but couldnt buy a take with a hundred dollar bill? Compitition rules are just a way of making flyfisherman figure out how to catch fish despite the conditions and river type. Remember the fish are there, you just need to elevate your game to get them to bite. When I go fishing now i dont always run right to the sweet honey hole. I love to relax and fish the water that most people would just walk bye.

Posted on: 2011/1/24 12:22

From Lewistown
I don't mind competition, and could see myself doing it at some point.

I don't think it's bad for the sport or the waterways or access.

However, I don't follow it as a fan.

Posted on: 2011/1/24 13:47

From SEPA
Quote:

MKern wrote:

Does anyone not directly involved in it actually follow it?

Posted on: 2011/1/24 14:30

From Lewistown
Just following the poll promt.

Posted on: 2011/1/24 14:57

Quote:

MKern wrote:

I don't know if its even possible to follow it "as a fan". You have to work kind of hard to even understand what the scoring system is.

My understanding is that you can't win money or even get free gear, plus you have to pay your own expenses. Basically you are paying a bunch of your own money to have someone else to tell you to fish at a certain time and place provided that you agree to follow specific rules of mysterious origin.

I enjoy competition as much as the next guy, but I'm not about to pay somebody money without an opportunity to win something of value. If it was for a charitable cause, that's another thing...

Posted on: 2011/1/24 15:16

From Altoona/Smoke Run
SeanC- Something that did slip my mind is the whole PR aspect.

Shedding light on fly fishing and introducing new people to it, could be a very positive thing. Could also be a very negative thing, if conservation and ethics take a backseat to "look at the size of my hawg". I really don't know, your post does make me a little more interested in learning more about it. As you are correct in assuming I know very little and have zero experience in the competition.

Posted on: 2011/1/24 15:24

From Eastern PA
Quote:

midnightangler wrote:
Quote:

MKern wrote:

I don't know if its even possible to follow it "as a fan". You have to work kind of hard to even understand what the scoring system is.

My understanding is that you can't win money or even get free gear, plus you have to pay your own expenses. Basically you are paying a bunch of your own money to have someone else to tell you to fish at a certain time and place provided that you agree to follow specific rules of mysterious origin.

I enjoy competition as much as the next guy, but I'm not about to pay somebody money without an opportunity to win something of value. If it was for a charitable cause, that's another thing...

Surely there is sponsorship monies paying these expenses, no?

Posted on: 2011/1/24 16:20

From Lewistown
You could always right a book, become and Orvis guide, create a video, do seminars at fly fishing shows, write magazine articles or be affiliated with Homewaters Club.

All of which will bring you money as a direct result of being on Team USA, and most will bring more money/fame which equals profit because of competition.

Posted on: 2011/1/24 16:28

Competitive fishing is just another way to raise your game. I am constantly competing with myself, so why not do it with others? Yes, you may get a piece of water that isn't exactly what you would normally go for, but it stretches you to be the best angler you can be, become flexible, and do what you have to to catch fish. I'm just getting into it, and what I have learned is astounding. It makes you a better angler. If you are one of the upturned noses that flat out thinks it's stupid, just turn your head. That is a heck of a statement; just because you don't do it, it's pointless. You don't have to compete, but come watch and I bet you will learn something.

Posted on: 2011/1/24 16:37

Quote:
Surely there is sponsorship monies paying these expenses, no?

I don't know about the youth team, but the FIPS-MOUCHE rules explicitly forbid significant monetary prizes. There are no sponsorships to pay travel expenses etc. for those in the masters division. Its totally on your own dime.

Posted on: 2011/1/24 17:01

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 ... 15 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes
No
Thinking about it
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll will close at 2014/10/31 17:56
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com