HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 ... 3 4 5 (6) 7 8 9 ... 15 »

Re: Competitive Fly-fishing

From Eastern PA
Quote:

gutcutter wrote:
at the jam, won't one of you get bragging rights from out fishing your bretheren? isn't that competitive angling?

No, I don't think so. I've never gotten that vibe from any of the PAFF members I have fished with, large group or small. Maybe others do it. But then again, I never understood the "fish counter" either.

Attach file:

jpg  Pit-River-Fish-Counter-POP.jpg (44.20 KB)
2943_4d3f212ca847f.jpg 500X400 px

Posted on: 2011/1/25 14:14

From Monessen, PA
Quote:

jdaddy wrote:
But then again, I never understood the "fish counter" either.

There you have it, an invention that could only have been made by competitive anglers. I stand corrected.

Posted on: 2011/1/25 14:20

From LV
Competitive FFing, is NOT a sport and it takes away from what the sport is about. FFing is about the entire experience not about who's better than anyone else. People that run tournaments don't get it.

Posted on: 2011/1/25 17:31

Competition is also about competing with yourself and the wealth of knowledge that these anglers possess and share with one another. My big question is, why do you care? Why does it bother you? My god, some of you are ridiculously intolerable of other people and their interests.

Posted on: 2011/1/25 17:36

From Bozeman
I don't like it, and I think it is bad for the sport.

I am 100% tolerant of it. Live and let live. Doesn't change my opinion.

Posted on: 2011/1/25 17:45

chaz - thats what fly fishing is about for you but we are all individuals not sharing the same ideas ! like i said before i never competed but i don't think it is a bad thing

Posted on: 2011/1/25 17:57

it would only be bad if/when sponsors think they have a right to control public water for an event-no matter how worthy the cause.

Posted on: 2011/1/25 18:03

JayL, thats cool. I appreciate your tolerance, but it really isn't anything that needs to be tolerated. I have just gotten my toes wet in the sport, and the people who I have met and talked to are awesome. In Europe, the comp scene drives the fishing market. It is a really big deal over there. Some of the newer techniques we use originated in Europe (czech, polish nymphing, fly styles, etc.), except for the reach cast, the roll cast, the overhand cast, the parachute cast, and the behind the back cast, which were apparently originated by JackM.

Posted on: 2011/1/25 18:19

no-he perfected the catching the behind cast.

Posted on: 2011/1/25 18:29

From Monessen, PA
I invented Czech nymphing as well, but neither felt the need to give it a name or to change and dress flies for optimum Czech nymphing, nor to lengthen my leader, nor to claim I invented it until you all pushed me to that point.

Adding: I never claimed to have invented the roll cast-- please do not distort my record in that fashion. I cannot execute a passable roll cast, even on glare ice.

My whole point (if I may continue) is that fly fishing techniques developed through trial and error aided by knowledge and experience. Competition against the fish and nature were always considered a sufficient incentive to improve. Improving for the sake of comparing ones-self with others is a different experience than I seek in angling. One of the primary reasons I angle with friends is that they seem to share that attitude. along with that attitide typically comes a respect for the environment, a communion with nature, a celebration of nature's bounty and its ability to fascinate and thrill us. None of that is aided by competition with other anglers.

Now, all that said, I am often curious how others are doing to see whether I will have a shared excuse for why my success was not as great as I had hoped.

Posted on: 2011/1/25 18:29

It's just funny how people argue on this site. Rarely do actual conversations ever take place; where actual knowledge is either gained or shared. It's all about egos. The best thing this site could do is go with real names. Then, hopefully people won't hide behind phony screen names and act in a manner which is displayed by some of the posts on this thread. I mean, cabin fever must have really set in if the best threads are taking a poll of whether we like competitive fly fishing, or if there are mountain lions in pa.

Posted on: 2011/1/25 18:35

From Bozeman
I will show my face wherever, in person. I always have.

Posted on: 2011/1/25 18:37

From Monessen, PA
I agree, muskratnymph.

Posted on: 2011/1/25 18:39

I took an ego trip once and JM shot me down,thankfully.
Well,many times actually-takes a while to realize that's not what the site is for.

Posted on: 2011/1/25 18:46

From Monessen, PA
Truth is, on a message board, all we are is an ego. People do hook up off the board, though and egos get matched with faces and persons. This discussion happens all the time. As long as folks are respectful and don't get offended because someone enjoys angling in a different way, there is no reason to try to stifle or criticize disagreements. If they don't interest you, there are literally hundreds of fresh and active threads to read and respond in.

Posted on: 2011/1/25 18:55

« 1 ... 3 4 5 (6) 7 8 9 ... 15 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Do you keep a fishing journal?
Yes
No
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll will close at 2014/8/22 12:38
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com