Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 3 4 (5) 6 7 8 ... 15 »

Re: Competitive Fly-fishing

From Hershey
I picked #2 I'm not really interested in competitive fishing with the exception of ...last one to catch a fish buys the first round

Posted on: 2011/1/25 9:18

Once you are able to win money at these type of things look out. It will then become corruption of their fly fishing souls.

Posted on: 2011/1/25 9:29

From Monessen, PA
Quote:

gutcutter wrote:
i think those of you that describe a great distaste for competitive fishing should refuse to use the techniques that have become popularized by that very competition. my $.02

I refuse to acknowledge learning anything from competitive fly fishing. Anglers of the fly have been experimenting since way back before competitions started to enter vogue. I should know, because I invented the reach cast, the pile cast (accidentally), the versatile dual action emerger, and many other techniques that other folks have claimed and put these names to. In addition, not only have I fished barbless hooks since my humble origins, but I have been known to fish bendless and pointless as well, though neither knowingly nor intentionally.

Posted on: 2011/1/25 10:19

From pennsylvania
yes jack, i know. i read about your accomplishments in fly fishless magazine

Posted on: 2011/1/25 10:24

some great posts here ! Some people do not realize there have been many competitions won by guys dry fly fishing ! It is not just a bunch of guys with heavy nymphs dredging water. The guys in comps are willing to help others that are not involved alos. They enjoy getting together and just fishing and for them it is about catching alot of fish. people hire guides to catch more fish not just see a new stream or take a walk in the woods and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that. we all have something good to learn from these guys competing.

Posted on: 2011/1/25 10:30

From Monessen, PA
You will only find me in hard-cover; magazines are so "last month." My valid point is that all competitions have done regarding technique has been:

(1) to popularize and name techniques that have developed spontaneously among anglers of the fly since the birth of the sport; and
(2) to cause anglers to perfect techniques like leaders that never get the butt from the guides (why not use a spinning rod at that point?), that tend to win competitions where the goal is simply and straight-forwardly to maximize the number or size of fish caught.

As I said at the outset, I have no desire to pursue fly angling with these as enshrined goals. In addition, I do not share the mindset of anglers that pursue the sport solely with outdoing another person in the pursuit. That all said, I have no problem with people enjoying the sport that way, so long as they don't attract more anglers with such a mindset to our sport. Simply put, I prefer to angle with and among persons with a different set of values when they hit the stream.

I can assure you that I would not be eager to fish with someone who I thought was constantly assessing his or her own "performance" in relation to mine.

Posted on: 2011/1/25 10:33

From SEPA
Quote:

troutslammer wrote:
we all have something good to learn from these guys competing.

What?

Posted on: 2011/1/25 10:35

From SE PA
I picked number 3. The competitive events have spawned some interesting methods that might otherwise not have been invented or communicated. When I'm on the water I am in some instances competing with the fish and others just taking in the natural setting. I have no interest in competing against other anglers. In most cases they are better than I am, no sense getting frustrated over that.

I have mixed feelings about watching a competitive event. I'd be interested in learning techniques but not interested in rooting for anyone. One thing I wouldn't like is to have public streams reserved for angling competitions. On the other hand having them on private waters might decrease chances for regular anglers to get access. I don't think competitions will ever grow to be much more than an oddity. Just not much spectator appeal other than those who know the competitors personally.

Posted on: 2011/1/25 10:46

From Chester County
Quote:

JackM wrote:
You will only find me in hard-cover; magazines are so "last month." My valid point is that all competitions have done regarding technique has been:

(1) to popularize and name techniques that have developed spontaneously among anglers of the fly since the birth of the sport; and
(2) to cause anglers to perfect techniques like leaders that never get the butt from the guides (why not use a spinning rod at that point?), that tend to win competitions where the goal is simply and straight-forwardly to maximize the number or size of fish caught.

As I said at the outset, I have no desire to pursue fly angling with these as enshrined goals. In addition, I do not share the mindset of anglers that pursue the sport solely with outdoing another person in the pursuit. That all said, I have no problem with people enjoying the sport that way, so long as they don't attract more anglers with such a mindset to our sport. Simply put, I prefer to angle with and among persons with a different set of values when they hit the stream.

I can assure you that I would not be eager to fish with someone who I thought was constantly assessing his or her own "performance" in relation to mine.

Good post Jack.

I too have invented or seen others come up with the many of the techniques and casts with the fancy names they now have. I recall when I was a kid watching and talking to an old-timer fly fishing with some sort of orange thread that he use as a sighter on his line. He greased it up with muscillin and used it to catch a bunch of fish. This was decades before "indies" or "sighters" were "invented." I remembered that and started to use "golden Stren" in the same way over 20 years ago. Also, I've been using the drop-shot rig for decades. The idea cam from the carp and sucker rigs I fished as a kid in the river.

With that being said, I will agree that there are some innovations that competitive fishing brings. I love to mess around and tinker with stuff, so I do pay attention.

More important than equipment and technique is the mindset. I agree wholeheartedly with the second part of your post. I go out to enjoy my day out on the stream and any sort of competition is 180* counter to why I'm out there.

Hey Jack, when are you going to take me fishin'? I promise I won't laugh......

Posted on: 2011/1/25 11:11

From SEPA
You guys must be wrong, we can all learn stuff from competition.. I'm still waiting on what that is, though.

Posted on: 2011/1/25 11:16

From Monessen, PA
The generous fellow I am, tom, I always let the other guys I fish with catch more than me. Just ask any of them.

Posted on: 2011/1/25 11:17

From Chester County
Quote:

JackM wrote:
The generous fellow I am, tom, I always let the other guys I fish with catch more than me. Just ask any of them.

Yeah, so do I. I usually fish hard for a while, but I often sit on the bank and watch others fish and enjoy themselves.

Posted on: 2011/1/25 11:24

From Eastern PA
Quote:

afishinado wrote:
Quote:

JackM wrote:

Yeah, so do I. I usually fish hard for a while, but I often sit on the bank and watch others fish and enjoy themselves.

So in other words, the two of you are going to sit on a back, enjoy a cold drink and chew the fat. Sometimes that is better than the fishing.

Posted on: 2011/1/25 11:32

From Monessen, PA
I put on an effort so that they don't know I'm letting them catch more. In fact, if you observed me from a distance, you might conclude I was trying very hard to outfish them.

Posted on: 2011/1/25 11:34

From Hershey
I just have a problem with turning fishing into a competition.I have been fishing with the same guys for about the last 20 yrs or so and I know a couple of them could be pro fishermen, (at least when they were younger)now we enjoy taking our time sharing new flies and techniques.These are the kind of guys that will gladly put you in their favorite spot and enjoy watching you catch fish there(they have even hacked many a path down to a stream for me so I could crutch my way down to the creek)I don't even enjoy alot of the fly fishing shows,they take out tv and movie stars put a rod in their hands and make it look all so easy to catch "the big one".I guess i just don't get any thrill from turning it into a winner take all type of sport. Talking about inventing techniques I invented the pile cast when I first started Fly fishing(LOL) and got to be an expert at it.

Posted on: 2011/1/25 11:44

« 1 2 3 4 (5) 6 7 8 ... 15 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes
No
Thinking about it
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll will close at 2014/10/31 17:56
Comments?

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com