Competition Fishing on Spring Creek

Haywood

Haywood

There is a comp on Spring Creek this weekend during the worst heat wave of the year. Isnt there a lot of guys on this forum against fishing for trout during the middle of summer. Dont the trout have a hard enough time surviving the heat and the elements that summer brings without Twenty fisherman going after them just for some bragging rights and ego boosts. Are these comps that important ??? I understand Spring Creek stays fairly cool. But when is enough .... enough ???

The area where they're fishing Spring Creek is downstream of Bellefonte, and one of the best areas for cool water temps on the stream, due to the influx of cold water from feeder stream(s).

Water temps have been reported at 65 degrees, and the flow for Spring Creek is almost double the average for this time of year.

Knowing that the conditions are OK to fish safely, are you objecting to people fishing there that are not part of the competition?

I do not have any feelings one way or the other about fishing competitions if that is what you want to do who cares. I competed in Grouse Dog Field Trails for years. My hunting buddy's thought I was nuts but I enjoyed it. But beating up the trout on Spring Creek under these conditions I think is a bad Idea.

There fish. They live in water. If the water is plenty cool, then who cares how hot the air temperature is.

Heritage-Angler wrote:
The area where they're fishing Spring Creek is downstream of Bellefonte, and one of the best areas for cool water temps on the stream, due to the influx of cold water from feeder stream(s).

Water temps have been reported at 65 degrees, and the flow for Spring Creek is almost double the average for this time of year.

Knowing that the conditions are OK to fish safely, are you objecting to people fishing there that are not part of the competition?

Agreed. If the conditions are okay, I see no problem.

Competitive fishing is not for me, but I see no reason to have issues with the guys that enjoy competing. I believe the comp guys do everything possible to not interfere or impact fellow FFers that are not participating event.

I suggest you check out the TroutLegend site. They are a good bunch of guys and some of the best FFers you will ever meet. The comps are listed there for you to either join-up........or avoid. The choice is yours.

I suggest we unite against the polluters and exploiters of our streams....not our fellow fly-fishers and anglers.

Water is great. Wet wading felt refreshing.

There are many different parts of fly fishing for different types of people and there are some that enjoy the competitions. I think the folks that organize these events are very aware of the issues when they put something like this on. Under the right setting a competition can work out fine.

I agree with others that this stretch of water does just fine even in this time of year.

The resource is fine argument for that stretch is true biologically but irrelevant socially. An awful lot of quiet fly anglers, very good ones who know the PA wild trout terrain quite well, grudingly say to themselves that, even though they know exactly where the good thermal stretches of LJ, Spring and Penns are, they are going to leave them alone during mid summer when temps go high in most of the other stretches of those streams.

For Troutlegend to come in and do a 40-angler competition in mid summer on Spring Creek is like a slap in the face to the folks that do that, no matter the overly conservative biologic or illogic of their view. Holding a very strong belief does not have to be based on fact for it to be powerful. For some of the guys I know this is almost in the sacred category. The closer something is to sacred, the harsher the response to its violation.

And yet there are any number of other streams, even less suitable from a temp standpoint, that would not evoke that kind of response, unless of course it is their home stream.

We only have 5, good size, cold wild trout blue ribbons, and 3 of those have thermal issues during summer. If PA was MT, with lots of big wild trout waters that are cold in Summer, and not very many people, no one would care.

I took a water temp of 59 degrees at 11 AM between the two main bridges in Bellefonte.

Above the big spring, I took a 66 at 3 PM.

Apparently by the number of people out fishing very few have no problem fishing in higher water temps.

If PA was MT, with lots of big wild trout waters that are cold in Summer, and not very many people, no one would care.

That certainly wouldn't explain why Montana banned competition fishing for wild trout...

http://fwp.mt.gov/fishing/guide/contests/

I must admit I'm becoming a bit confused here. While it is true some of this may be attributable to my falling in that mid60's age group I believe I may still have some semblance of a potential for logical thinking.

While I can find it within my capabilities to respect one's decision to refrain from fishing any and all trout waters during weather which may for many be quite uncomfortable for the angler due to high temperatures, I can't bring myself to understand why anyone, especially after having stated that there is no supporting logic (one interpretation would be no justifiable reason) for this decision, would then be able to justify felt frustration or even anger directed at other anglers who choose to do otherwise on streams which carry flows well within tolerable temperature ranges for trout.

I could understand someone holding the position that it's just plain crazy for an angler to fish in 95 degree temperatures (air) but, when you consider fishing for trout in a long stream section with water temps not exceeding 65 degrees, such as Spring Creek from Bellefonte downstream, this is truly illogical as previously stated. This isn't fishing for stressed trout gathered in large numbers at a cold water refuge in a stream that might have normal water temps of over 80 degrees such a Kettle Creek at present. To do this would be extremely unethical.

To say that holding a view which is supported neither by fact nor logic is still very powerful is true only for the one who holds the view. To believe that it is sufficiently powerful to sway the thoughts and actions of others could be construed to be misguided at best. Of course, since I spent a few hours each day Wednesday, Thursday and Friday fishing for trout on a waterway with 55 degree temperatures I would expect some of that frustration and anger to be directed at me as well. After all, I believe fishing is fishing whether I am fishing strictly for my own enjoyment or fishing during a competition. Besides, if I were to be candid, I'm probably competing with myself most times I'm on the water.

We have far too much of this business of "I condemn you solely based on the fact that we disagree." I believe that is what is happening here. I think we need to move on.

Correct. The cool water will only hold 40 or so anglers or so .

Water temps are absolutely not an issue on Spring Creek right now. It's honestly in really fabulous shape for July.

Uh oh, battle of the greybeards. Actually quite a coincidence that DaveR is the author. I'll save it for the end to explain.

Fly fishing is nearly religious to some people and facts used to sway them are not necessarily persuasive to them. This is not illogical. The logic terminolgy is how I happened to characterize it. It might be stubborn, or it could just be that the weight given to the parts of the whole do not jive with the weights assigned by others even though the facts are the same. We see this all the time, especially on hot-button issues such as stocking over wild trout, spot burning, etc.

I don't expect to convince here I was just reporting something. Nor do I have any microdissections of the values and internal arguments anyone made to come to their view.

DaveR wrote:

To say that holding a view which is supported neither by fact nor logic is still very powerful is true only for the one who holds the view. To believe that it is sufficiently powerful to sway the thoughts and actions of others could be construed to be misguided at best.

I am fairly sure if you take another look at what you wrote there, you'll recognize that many chapters in the history of western civilization spring from precisely what you seem to be arguing against--unless I am misreading it.

Ok now the more interesting stuff.

So last night I was flipping through a 1989 issue Trout magazine, which had a series of stories on streams throughout the country.

Obviously I flipped to the PA section. One of the stories was about Slate Run on July 4 after quite a bit of rain in other watersheds.

The anglers stumble across a rattlesnake, though one of them doesn't notice the rattling. What he did notice was one Dave Rothrock setting a world record for, and I am checking now for accuracy, "the standing high-jump." DaveR is the author, and it is funnier in his telling.

DGC, I appreciate your explanation. I was only arguing against intolerance.

In today's society I see so much of a double standard made up of a position that some feel they have a right to demand that others not only accept but also advocate for their position on a particular issue. They believe that those who disagree with them, even though those who disagree are tolerant, marks that person as an enemy. Emotions run so high that those who hold such a view declare anyone who voices an opposing view as engaging in hate speech. I know that some would say I've strayed from the point; however, I believe there's some semblance of relevance here.

What bothers/saddens me is someone becoming so upset over someone else engaging in a fishing activity which is neither illegal nor unethical. I know first hand that these competitions are organized and conducted with a very high degree of concern and respect for both the stream and the trout. I understand and accept that there will always be those who disagree with fly fishing competitions. I would much prefer that those who disagree would reconcile their feelings and come to the place where they would be willing to agree to disagree.

Yes, I remember that incident on Slate Run quite well. I'm glad you got a chuckle from reading it.

I stand corrected. I thought that with the weather we we have been having Spring Creek temps would be too warm. I went over to Spring yesterday temps in the stretch they were fishing were low to mid 60s. Watched the competition for awhile, saw and talked to some very serious young men and I learned something's watching these guys fish. Like Old Lefty I am in that middle 60s group. But it is never to late to learn somthing

Gfdolec,

Glad you could make it out. I was in the Milesburg section yesterday. The water was really in good condition, clear but good.

This weekend I saw 3 dead fish float by. According to others, that is what they saw as well. 2 big bows and a brown. They all came from above the venue and I would guess from the bait anglers below Tally. None of the competitors reported fighting or landing any rainbows this size. The medium size brown I was able to grab and see if I could revive it, only to notice it had a half dollar size bite out of its back. One of the crazier things I witnessed was on a 16cm fish I landed. It had a metal ring completely around its body and was beginning to grow into it. We were able to get the ring off the fish. I am not sure if this fish will survive with the wound it had, but it has to have a better chance for survival then with a metal ring.

What high water temps?

There are places where the water temp gets warm for trout in mid-summer. You should not fish these places at these times.

There are plenty of other places where the water temp stays plenty cool year round. There is no issue with fishing these places in mid-summer heat waves.

Whether or not you agree with the comps, the water temps in the region of question are plenty cool. It is not a valid excuse to oppose the comps.

SBecker wrote:

This weekend I saw 3 dead fish float by. According to others, that is what they saw as well. 2 big bows and a brown. .

I assure you that every fish I caught that day swam away. Maybe not happily, but strong.

Back