Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: Comp fishing on Spring Creek

From Jersey Shore, PA
DGC, I appreciate your explanation. I was only arguing against intolerance.

In today's society I see so much of a double standard made up of a position that some feel they have a right to demand that others not only accept but also advocate for their position on a particular issue. They believe that those who disagree with them, even though those who disagree are tolerant, marks that person as an enemy. Emotions run so high that those who hold such a view declare anyone who voices an opposing view as engaging in hate speech. I know that some would say I've strayed from the point; however, I believe there's some semblance of relevance here.

What bothers/saddens me is someone becoming so upset over someone else engaging in a fishing activity which is neither illegal nor unethical. I know first hand that these competitions are organized and conducted with a very high degree of concern and respect for both the stream and the trout. I understand and accept that there will always be those who disagree with fly fishing competitions. I would much prefer that those who disagree would reconcile their feelings and come to the place where they would be willing to agree to disagree.

Yes, I remember that incident on Slate Run quite well. I'm glad you got a chuckle from reading it.

Posted on: 2013/7/22 10:14

From Tyrone
I stand corrected. I thought that with the weather we we have been having Spring Creek temps would be too warm. I went over to Spring yesterday temps in the stretch they were fishing were low to mid 60s. Watched the competition for awhile, saw and talked to some very serious young men and I learned something's watching these guys fish. Like Old Lefty I am in that middle 60s group. But it is never to late to learn somthing

Posted on: 2013/7/22 10:27

From Along the Lehigh Above the Gap
Gfdolec,

Glad you could make it out. I was in the Milesburg section yesterday. The water was really in good condition, clear but good.

This weekend I saw 3 dead fish float by. According to others, that is what they saw as well. 2 big bows and a brown. They all came from above the venue and I would guess from the bait anglers below Tally. None of the competitors reported fighting or landing any rainbows this size. The medium size brown I was able to grab and see if I could revive it, only to notice it had a half dollar size bite out of its back. One of the crazier things I witnessed was on a 16cm fish I landed. It had a metal ring completely around its body and was beginning to grow into it. We were able to get the ring off the fish. I am not sure if this fish will survive with the wound it had, but it has to have a better chance for survival then with a metal ring.

Posted on: 2013/7/22 11:49

http://bugflingerandfeatherlasher.blogspot.com/

From Pretty much everywhere at some point, Thorndale today.
What high water temps?

There are places where the water temp gets warm for trout in mid-summer. You should not fish these places at these times.

There are plenty of other places where the water temp stays plenty cool year round. There is no issue with fishing these places in mid-summer heat waves.

Whether or not you agree with the comps, the water temps in the region of question are plenty cool. It is not a valid excuse to oppose the comps.

Posted on: 2013/7/22 12:13

From Clearfield
Quote:

SBecker wrote:

This weekend I saw 3 dead fish float by. According to others, that is what they saw as well. 2 big bows and a brown. .

I assure you that every fish I caught that day swam away. Maybe not happily, but strong.

Posted on: 2013/7/22 12:20

From SW PA (Pittsburgh Area)
I need to hook up with some of those guys. I saw the winner had 20+ fish. Wish I lived in the area, would have liked to watch from the bank and pick up some advice by watching...

But I also agree it's not always about the count. Went to Spring Creek in May below the Paradise, and catching one wild brown made my whole year...

Posted on: 2013/7/22 12:27

From Lock Haven, PA
I wondered what all the cars were...

Posted on: 2013/7/22 12:36

From Pittsburgh
Are the trico's on?

Posted on: 2013/7/22 13:05

From Pretty much everywhere at some point, Thorndale today.
Yup.

Posted on: 2013/7/22 13:42

From Jersey Shore, PA
O.K., I'm feeling a few warm fuzzies at the moment. This is the way we should be communicating: focusing on the good stuff and recognizing we all (that's this old duff, as well) can seize a moment which provides a learning opportunity. Sharing knowledge is one of the greatest things we can do. I know that helping someone improve their fishing skills is one of the best forms of payment I can receive.

Posted on: 2013/7/22 13:45

Quote:

csoult wrote:
Quote:

SBecker wrote:

This weekend I saw 3 dead fish float by. According to others, that is what they saw as well. 2 big bows and a brown. .

I assure you that every fish I caught that day swam away. Maybe not happily, but strong.

Hey giving sore lips to a few fish never hurt anybody.

Posted on: 2013/7/22 14:08

Quote:

OldLefty wrote:
Sharing knowledge is one of the greatest things we can do. I know that helping someone improve their fishing skills is one of the best forms of payment I can receive.

+1

Posted on: 2013/7/22 14:12

From SEPA
Quote:

SBecker wrote:
Hey giving sore lips to a few fish never hurt anybody.

Uhm, I think a few fish would potentially disagree with what you've written.

Collage.

Posted on: 2013/7/22 14:12

Always one to add worthwhile information.

Posted on: 2013/7/22 14:19

From Clearfield
I didn't see trico's.... maybe I was in the wrong spot or got there too late.

Posted on: 2013/7/22 14:35

« 1 (2) 3 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Do you keep a fishing journal?
Yes
No
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll will close at 2014/8/22 12:38
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com