Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 ... 4 5 6 (7) 8 »

Re: Competition Fishers here?

Aw, pcray, I wish I believed what you said, but I respectfully disagree with you

Competition is about winning, which is why the ballplayer practices. He competes to win his position. His team, if it is a team sport, competes to with its games. This is true of almost all levels of athletics. I do not think this is a positive thing for fly-fishing, which is such a lovely sport in so many ways. I really do believe it shows disrespect for the lovely trout to be pasted on a scorecard as a number or a statistic. If it's not about winning, why else would the competitors need a controller (i.e. a referee) tagging along with them to enforce rules and to avoid cheating?

Your second point does not need a tournament to perform. Each time a fly-fisherman is out there, he can refine his techniques, equipment, and flies to improve his results. I do not think that is a valid point in support of fly-fishing competitions.

That competitive fly-fishermen are probably more efficient than I does not bother me one iota. But, in most cases, I do believe that fly-fishing competitions detract from a wonderful activity and also demean the fish themselves.

I am sorry to see that these things have gained such a foothold and following among groups of flyrodders.

Posted on: 2013/7/19 19:34

I did not win the competition I was in but I still had an absolute blast. Just because you are striving to win, and you don't, doesn't in any way mean you had a "bad time" I would really encourage you to try it before you deem it a bad thing. Fly Fishing, to me, is whatever the angler wants to make it. If someone wants to catch every fish in the stream or elicit a take with a silk line and traditional dry, it is all wonderful because the individual is having fun. I think it is silly and unproductive to try to tell other people how to enjoy their time on the water. As I have said if you don't like the idea of competition, don't participate. To me at least, as long as everyone is having fun and doing what they love, and the fish and environment are respected, it can't be a bad thing, after all what is the point of fly fishing, to enjoy yourself! If I or anyone else finds it enjoyable to compete, whats wrong with that?

Posted on: 2013/7/19 21:01

From PA and NH
Sipe, you don't need to enter a competition to improve your skills, the more you fish , the better you get. The popular techniques used by many in comps stretch the spirit of fishing with the fly rod to the point of breaking, all under the push of "outfishing " another angler.
Utter Hooey.

Posted on: 2013/7/19 21:51

From Chester County
I make a poor candidate for being a competitive angler, the essence of fishing, and fly-fishing in particular, is it allows me to escape from competition. That's really the whole point (for me).

Life is full of stresses. For the time you rise in the morning and commute to work with people cutting you off on the highway to get ahead, and watching the clock at work to finish this and start that and meet deadlines and get ahead...blah, blah, blah.

I look forward to my day off. It's just the water, the fish and me in a beautiful setting where I can relax and fish where ever, whenever, however I choose. No rules, no scorecards, no clocks or competitors to beat.

I really don't count fish, or weigh or measure them. I get pleasure from just being out there and enjoying the experience of fly-fishing.

Gfen hit the mark using the word "pastoral" to describe fly-fishing, meaning.....having simplicity and serenity in a beautiful setting.

Serenity now!!!

"Unless one can enjoy himself fishing with the fly, even when his efforts are unrewarded, he loses much real pleasure. More than half the intense enjoyment of fly-fishing is derived from the beautiful surroundings, the satisfaction felt from being in the open air, the new lease of life secured thereby, and the many, many pleasant recollections of all one has seen, heard and done." - Charles F. Orvis

"For the supreme test of a fisherman is not how many fish he has caught, not even how he has caught them, but what he has caught when he has caught no fish." - John H. Bradley

Posted on: 2013/7/20 6:47

Edited by afishinado on 2013/7/20 7:59:31
Edited by afishinado on 2013/7/20 8:20:57
Edited by afishinado on 2013/7/20 8:37:15

From Lewistown, PA
Quote:

sipe wrote:
I know this is a controversial topic, and Im really not interested in hearing why it is or isn't good for flyfishing etc... Thanks for any relevant info!

Lol. I didn't read all 7 pages of comments, but I'd have to guess that not all of it is "relevant"...

Posted on: 2013/7/20 9:24

From Monessen, PA
I think the better way to have started the thread to avoid controversy was to say the OP only wanted to hear from people who do compete. But, if you haven't realized, there is no way to control a conversation's bent.

Posted on: 2013/7/20 9:30

Okay, I read one of the posts that seems to suggest I do not know about competition. I do, and I prefer not to be lectured to by those who believe I am speaking about something I know not of. I certainly do.l

For instance, today, I was a member of a basketball team that won its competition in an age-level tournament. We won the tournament, and we later defeated an all-star team of opponents. We competed to win. We have worked on our skills so that we could win the tournament. That is what you do in athletics. When you compete, you are trying to win. I do not post this as a brag.

I include this because I would hate to see fly-fishing become a competitive pastime. Others who have posted on this thread have noted that it is a beautiful activity to do in beautiful settings while engaging with beautiful wild creatures. IMO, it is the most wonderful of outdoor sports, and I agree with Arnold Gingrich who said it is the most wonderful thing you can do while standing on two feet.

I truly love fly-fishing for trout. I believe all of the things I said about it in earlier posts. I wish I could be more eloquent about this, but this is the best I can do. (Help me, Jack, and others.)

Posted on: 2013/7/20 16:16

From SE Pa
There having a comp this weekend on Spring Creek during the worst heat wave of the summer. Isnt there a lot of people on this site against fishing during the hottest days of summer ????? Those fish have a hard enough time in the summer surviving, let alone with a group of twenty fisherman going after them. I say leave the trout alone and worry about your egos when the water cools off.

Posted on: 2013/7/20 18:46

From State College
I agree with Gfen mostly. I do not fish because of competition. I have never had a competition with my buddies on the stream. I would rather catch 4 fish the way that brings me more enjoyment than 8 fish in a more effective way.

I don't like the idea of getting up early to fish a favorite spot of a stream and having someone ask me to move because the section was designated to him in a competition. I would move because its not the guys fault (and I look like a jerk if I don't) but it does get under my skin and go against MY concept of what fishing is all about.

I have no qualms with people who want to fish competitively. Fish the way that makes you happy.

Posted on: 2013/7/20 19:07

From Cleona, Pa
Water temp there is 65 it's fine. All of you on this forum like to talk the talk. Enter a comp it will make you a better angler, guarented. I can go to the letort or big spring any timeany condition and catch fish.

Put your money where your mouth is...fishing the hardest beats makes everything easier

Posted on: 2013/7/20 19:11

From Cleona, Pa
You learn to catch fish under the hardest conditions which you can apply anywhere

Posted on: 2013/7/20 19:12

From State College
Jkill---- I think you can do that without competing.

Posted on: 2013/7/20 19:19

You keep saying the same thing. If YOU don't want to make fly fishing competitive, don't. But if I and others enjoy completive fly fishing, why can't I enjoy myself. It is silly to try to control how others enjoy the sport. Everyone can enjoy fly fishing in their on way, not the way you want them to!

Posted on: 2013/7/20 20:29

From Cleona, Pa
Dave1918, you are correct to a point but, fishing by yourself does not push you to get better. Least I have noticed that. You have a lot more folks around and you talk and learn different tactics. For example;

Today I fished the quite, low clear and difficult. I caught 5 in 2 hrs in a small stretch. I floated my slighter, and new tactic which is the ultimate in strike detection. Size 16 waltz 2.5 tungsten bead, single fly. Now before I was into this I struggled to catch any fish there, now I usually get some, which I greatly appreciate. It's quite obvious a lot on this forum have a problem with competitive fly fishers and that's just fine your entitled to your opinion. I know one thing for sure it has made me a better fly angler hands down. I love this hobby so much I have intention on quitting the comp thing, it very fun and your continuing to learn, period dot.

Posted on: 2013/7/21 19:42

Having somebody else tell you where and when to fish would definitely ruin it for me. I don't understand why a fishing expert would pay their own money to have somebody else tell them where and when to fish. It seems dumb.

Posted on: 2013/7/21 23:24

« 1 ... 4 5 6 (7) 8 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes
No
Thinking about it
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll will close at 2014/10/31 17:56
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com