Colorado Trip

streamerguy

streamerguy

Just got back the other day after getting stuck in Dallas for a night which wasn't fun, but it's all part of the adventure.

Had an AWESOME time and got a lot of fishing in. Out of the week I was out there I got to fish a good amount 3 of the days. Fished Boulder and South Boulder Creeks, the Big Thompson, Lily Lake, Clear Creek, Roaring River, and the North and South Saint Vrain Rivers. Caught fish everywhere very easily except for Lily, got skunked there but did see another fisherman hook into a nice cuttie. It amazes me how easily the wild browns are to catch there, opposite of the ones out here. Must of caught around 40 fish, and lost a LOT also due to barless hooks, but that's part of the game. 3 bows, 4 cutties, 1 brookie, and the rest browns. Nothing big, but the fishing was fast and the scenery was spectacular so I couldn't complain.

Here's some pics. Hope you enjoy. More pics and more of a report on my blog.

First Colorado trout!
P7240027.jpg

P7240047.jpg

P7240067.jpg

My first rock snot experience. Don't worry gear was cleaned properly
P7240084.jpg

P7250109.jpg

Saw a snake eating a fish
P7260186.jpg

P7250137.jpg

P7260159.jpg

I really can't wait to make it back out there, it was an awesome experience. Didn't see a lot of wildlife, but did see bear tracks(I think) far from the car lol. Also I found wading with those Crocs shoes can be painful on rocky streams. Almost lost them twice in faster water too. Had to use them since my other boots were probably infected with didymo and couldn't clean them good at the hotel. I think I'm gonna start planning next years trip! lol

did you catch any greenbacks on the vrain branches? did you fish the big T up in the meadows section?

Good for you man. Looks like a great trip!

Just caught browns on the Vrain branches. Fished the N Vrain in the park and the S Vrain somewhere along the road closer to Lyons. Only fished the N Vrain for like 45min and the S Vrain for only a few minutes, was running out fishing time. Fished the Big Thompson a little ways below the lake, but if I ever make it out there again I definitely want to hit it in the park.

You need real wading shoes for fishing, anything else you're asking for trouble.
Glad you had a great trip.

I used to have a pair but they're really worn out and need to get new ones. I usually wet wade with my boots that I wear with my waders, which are ok, or better yet my hiking boots which actually dry out pretty good since they're waterproof somewhat. I'll probably never wade with Crocs ever again, but had to since I didn't want to transport any didymo, and didn't have enough room in my suitcase to bring all my boots. If it didn't happen to me I would of found it hilarious watching someone lose one of their crocs in fast water then while going after that one they lose the other! Good thing there was a log they got caught on. Definitely a great trip though, one I'll never forget.

Back