Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: Colorado Rocky Mountain High!!!

From Harrisburg
Holy WOAH! That cutties almost as perty as yer sister Josh. Congrats to her.
Way to go man and good for you.

Posted on: 2013/7/9 11:46

From Hagerstown, MD
Thanks for the comments...and I am still reeling from the trip. The sight of those Cutthroats roaming the shores with their contrasting fire red cheeks, and the image of the 17incher that I caught rising slowly to slurp a generic dry fly will be embedded in my mind for good. Not to mention seeing my sister's large cutthroat shaking his big head and trying not to get too excited, as to make her nervous while she fought her first large trout. I swear that my hands were shaking worse, as she fought that fish, than with any catch that I have ever had.

Troy,
Regarding the fly fishing gear, I pre-shipped mine out there, but I carried it on to the plane, during the trip back. The airlines did not give me any hassle.

Posted on: 2013/7/9 16:31

3wt7x
I'm sorry for your loss of your sister, my prayers are sent to you and your family. It sounds and looks like you and your family had a great trip. The fishing looks awesome and it is so good to see that your sister landed that cutty. I have fished in Colorado in the past and I know what you mean by the sheer beauty of the mountains and scenery in general. Great post! Thanks for sharing.

Posted on: 2013/7/9 20:21

From LV
Sorry to hear about your loss. I'm sure she'll really be missed. YEars ago I lost my youngest brother, not under those circumstances, but it isn't easy, when you lose a sibling that is fairly young.
My prayers go out to you and your family.

Posted on: 2013/7/9 22:22

From Berks County
Quote:

3wt7X wrote:
Troy,
Regarding the fly fishing gear, I pre-shipped mine out there, but I carried it on to the plane, during the trip back. The airlines did not give me any hassle.

I didn't think it would be any hassle in Colorado. They see rods everyday. Philly, not so much. I'm just going for it. I printed out the TSA rules on fishing gear just in case I get hassled, even though that probably won't do squat.

Now that you went out west, it will be in your blood forever. It really has that affect on you.

Posted on: 2013/7/10 8:26

From Dillsburg, pa.
Not far from Buena Vista, is the Taylor river. I fished there many times over the years and it can be a raging stream , especially in July. The upper Taylor is more manageable. Some have called the Taylor River one of the best dry fly streams in continental US. I always stayed in Crested butte, but with summer crowds, make sure you have a reservation. For extended stays, I always rented a condo.

Posted on: 2013/7/12 15:28

Troy,
At the Denver airport, I've see lots of guys carrying rod tubes. No so much in Philly. But good luck carrying your stuff. Where in Rocky Mtn Natl Park are you headed? Backcountry or just day trips? There's lots of beautiful lakes to pick from. Next week I'm headed to Lawn Lake, on the east side near Estes Park. A few years ago, on the Fishermans Paradise website, someone posted about spending a few days there, and it's been on my list since!

Tagging on from another post about locator devices, the PA State Park app has maps and gps, and it worked out there great. Somehow it had topo maps for Colorado.

Posted on: 2013/7/12 16:32

mikephl,

It might of been my brother posting about Lawn Lake on paradise website, we spent a good amount of time in RMNP and wrote up a few blog posts on our excursions. I highly recommend trekking up to Lawn Lake, the fishing was fantastic and the scenery was even better. In my opinion the best time to go out west is September, the daily thunderstorms that usually happen go away and the evening temperatures are perfect for pitching a tent in the high country. The biggest advantage going after Labor Day is the crowds die down tremendously and you can enjoy the waters with less people. The Hopper action was still fantastic at that time of year also.

www.grobe33.blogspot.com

Posted on: 2013/7/13 11:24

« 1 (2)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes
No
Thinking about it
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll will close at 2014/10/31 17:56
Comments?

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com