Coburn

PaulG

PaulG

Im heading up to Coburn this weekend to open up my camper and do some cleanup and do some fishing( mostly fishin)

Anyone else going to be in the area, maybe we could meet? I usually go down to the open water on Penns Dr before you get to Coburn, on the first morning, usually just watch in the morning.

PaulG

Looks like the rain is bringing Penn's up a good bit. Be careful wading.

Nah, its just gearing up for the Jam...Paul, it looks like I will not be able to make the Jam this year...do you do mail order on that bologna? :-(

Attachments

• penns.jpg
    penns.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 2
How does Penns fish this time of year? I usually fish it in May, but never in April. I live outside of Pittsburgh (a little bit of a drive) and never really thought of fishing it this early. If I didn't have plans this weekend (opening day here with my brothers) I would love to try it out.

I will be in Coburn on Thursday and Friday. Jonas says Penns is high and off color so I will probably fish Spring on Thursday, and whatever creek on Friday. PM me folks if you will be in the area.

Fished Penns yesterday was at a good level its really high and muddy right now got alot of rain. Its always good at anytime unless its muddy or almost dry in the summer George always the top of my list.

Stopped in "The Feathered Hook" this afternoon. They expect Penns to be fishable on Sunday.

froghair5 wrote:
Stopped in "The Feathered Hook" this afternoon. They expect Penns to be fishable on Sunday.

On Sunday....holy mackeral. Jonas must have has his Crocs on. :-D

Thats one thing about Penns, when it goes into the bushes, it takes a week to fish. Locally you are back int he water in 24-48 hrs. on a freestoner.....but they arn't penns

froghair5 wrote:

The optimism of Fly Shop owner's is limitless, especially around opening day. ;-)

I was on Penn's at Coburn on Wed - the flow then is exactly the same as it is now per the USGS site data (~1000cfs). Could you fish it? Technically yes, but practically no. Could you wade it? Only if you had lead wading shoes.

As the local saying goes, Penn's is the first to muddy and the last to clear. It'll be Mon or Tues before it's even close to being fishable.

EG

Pick a comfortable flow and see how long it took from the previous high water. I was out Saturday and the flow was strong but fishable. I did need lot's of lead on my flies. I'd agree that it will be Tuesday or so.

eroc144 wrote:
froghair5 wrote:

The optimism of Fly Shop owner's is limitless, especially around opening day. ;-)

I was on Penn's at Coburn on Wed - the flow then is exactly the same as it is now per the USGS site data (~1000cfs). Could you fish it? Technically yes, but practically no. Could you wade it? Only if you had lead wading shoes.

As the local saying goes, Penn's is the first to muddy and the last to clear. It'll be Mon or Tues before it's even close to being fishable.

EG

I would have to go with eroc144, Mon or Tues and they're calling for more rain on Monday and in the 40's!

PaulG

My dad and I are heading up to the cabin after work today. Penns is up around 1000 cfs still so we will probably hit Spring on Saturday or maybe do some brookie exploring.

Back