Class 5 fly fishing

T

TYoung

Anybody here willing to go to these extremes to catch big fish in secluded waters?

That looks like fun provided you don't row the entire float.

Some class IVs there. Not sure if a golden Trout are worth that. Rivers with rapids like that will eat you up!!

What's the name of the river? Maybe they said, but if so, I missed it.

Looks like fun if you're using someone else's rod!

troutbert wrote:
What's the name of the river? Maybe they said, but if so, I missed it.

Middle Fork American River.

I read you post before viewing it, and listened for the name.

It mention Middle Fork a couple times.

Enjoyed the video. Thanks for posting.

Looks fun - I'd be down for that.

Thanks for sharing i just watched it on my tv and it puts a whole new perspective too it. I would definately be down for it but mostly because I've never experienced anything like that and don't have a sense for really how dangerous it is.

Those guys are hard core! It's a bit extreme for me, I like living. :) Yes, those were some really big trout, but they're not nearly as pretty as a lot of the wild browns I catch right here in Pa.

cool video, and yes, similar trout can be caught much easier, but that's not the point, it's about the adventure. I just never thought i'd need a helmet to fish for trout!!!

bikerfish wrote:
cool video, and yes, similar trout can be caught much easier, but that's not the point, it's about the adventure. I just never thought i'd need a helmet to fish for trout!!!

Well I know you have a couple - yer good ! Only one Al sighting this winter - more snow needed.

Yea, that would not be for me. In my younger days yes. But does look like fun.

GenCon

bikerfish wrote:

LOL, that was actually my first thought (the helmet part).

I would’ve bet my 401k that the first sentence of that video would’ve contained at least one of the following words…”gnarly”, “brah”, or “stoked.”

Cool video, and neat stuff. Well shot and produced…I too watched it on my TV. Agree, it’s about the adventure. Some of my best fishing memories aren’t just about the actual fishing…the hike, bike, and even once, the raft trip to get there all add to it IMO.

I watched some other rafting vids of that section of the Middle Fork American. I’d probably be willing to do it, save for maybe the falls at the end. The water there looks really shallow…if you came out of the boat you’d get roughed up good. It wouldn’t just be a deal of putting your feet in front of you and floating to calmer water…you’d be tumbling off rocks in spots. If you notice in the vid, two of the guys run the first raft down, and then one of those same guys hikes back up to run the second raft down solo. Two of the guys didn’t run the falls at all.

Helmet – I’ve seriously considered wearing a rock climbing helmet on a couple of steep Carbon County streams I’ve fished. You’re essentially climbing them as you work up. It’s probably not a bad idea. That’s my biggest fear while fishing…falling/slipping and hitting my head.

CA has some incredibly rural and impenetrable areas. Would love to fish the forks of the Yuba , American, Feather rivers but I was on a native trout quest when I was in the area and those were not on the list.

Fly fishing in white water is problematic- once I was drifting on the upper Yellowstone and flybop was telling me to cast behind a big boulder that looked like a good lie but all I could do was hang on in the 3-4 foot waves we were crashing through.

The craziest boat launch I have ever seen was on the Henry's Fork- slide your raft 500-600 yards down a very steep hill. Seemed like quite a bit of effort there but I guess there is a reward of a lightly fished part of the river.
Henry's Fork launch Grandview slide

I've considered wearing a helmet a few times with a few fellow anglers. And we were no where even close to any whitewater.

acristickid wrote:

Fly fishing in white water is problematic- once I was drifting on the upper Yellowstone and flybop was telling me to cast behind a big boulder that looked like a good lie but all I could do was hang on in the 3-4 foot waves we were crashing through.

So, what's the problem?

When you are my size, casting from a pontoon boat on a lake can cause waves nearly that size. ;-)

Used to be a whitewater guy and I will say steep downhill put ins are a lot more fun than steep uphill take outs.

Reminds me of our Yough river in Somerset and Fayette county, PA. Only difference is the rapids are not quite as big.

Back