City Trout

klingy

klingy

I had a doctor appointment today in Harrisburg, and I had a little time to spare before my appointment. Decided to check out a stream right in the city that surprisingly holds trout (many will know the stream). It runs beside some unsavory locations, and gets blow to hell when there is a storm, but the wild browns hang on. Thought I'd take a walk and see some spawners but didn't see any paired up or any redd action at all. Figured if they weren't spawning yet, I'd see if I could move a few. Luckily had about a half hour after the appointment to break out the rod. Nothing like using orange penn dot barrels and shopping carts as cover. Actually got into some rising fish and lost a nice one on an x-caddis. People say trout come from beautiful places, but sometimes it's the trout that make the place beautiful.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    182.8 KB · Views: 5
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    163.1 KB · Views: 2
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    168.9 KB · Views: 2
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    206.3 KB · Views: 2
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    211.8 KB · Views: 2
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    112.9 KB · Views: 2
Sometimes I like the look of those browns with few red spots just as much as the more densely spotted ones. They have a pale almost "washed out" look to them that's just as pretty as the more vibrant ones.

I just went past the stream...looks great with fall leaves. A guy I know from bass fishing told me he went into the same stream to catch minnows for bait and realized that he was seeing tiny brown trout in his net. He let them go free and proceeded to capture other minnows. He then told me that he caught and released several large trout right in the busiest area of the urban jungle stream. Wack. I am told you should carry weaponry to fish there...!

Nicely done. They're there but sometimes fighting threw the baitfish is too much. I suppose those are photo worthy ;). Hit me up if ya get a day soon.

Great job! I have tried that stream before, but I think I was much too far away from the mouth to get anything. After all- the surroundings weren't entirely unsavory yet. Still not found a spot with the trouties yet.

If anyone has a tip or two to share through PM, I'd greatly appreciate it. It does my heart quite good to hear there are still healthy populations there!

Goro check pm.

klingy wrote:
People say trout come from beautiful places, but sometimes it's the trout that make the place beautiful.

Well stated, klingy.

I've heard that trout take on the color of their surroundings in an effort to blend in and survive...

Good pics Klingy.

Back