Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 3 (4)

Re: Cicadas - A Bust

From Berks County
I fished a wild trout stream in Schuylkill County on Friday. The Cicadas were there. I didn't see many along the creek, but the buzzing was intense. I didn't have a Cicada pattern, but the wilds definitely have been eating them. Most of their stomachs were protruding. I had a great day using a size 12 Royal Wulff.

Posted on: 2013/6/24 15:31

From Along the Lehigh Above the Gap
Quote:

wgmiller wrote:
I'll "spot burn", but the Lehigh Gorge is full of them. From just below Lehigh Tannery to at least Rockport, they are crossing the Lehigh and the fish are eating them willingly. The tricky part is (as Sbecker knows) is getting to them on the Lehigh... If you can access the banks, or are brave enough to float it, you can get on some nice fish.

Hickory Run SP is also full of them...

Coming down the NE Extension of the turnpike, they were all over the place just before the Blue Mountain tunnel heading south.

Yea I dunno if it was the time we floated, but fishing wasn't epic as I thought it would be. Picked up a few trout and some nice smallmouth. Whatever you do, do not float the upper gorge on Sunday afternoon when they decide to cut the flow back from 750cfs to 235cfs in a hard body drifter. The flow change might have had a major factor on the fishing.

Posted on: 2013/6/24 16:06

From Pretty much everywhere at some point, Thorndale today.
Yeah, I can attest to what Troy is saying. Started discussion in newbie jam brush up thread. General Lehigh drainage. Bugs everywhere. FAT brookies with lumpy bellies.

Attach file:

jpg  IMG_0297 (500x375).jpg (121.16 KB)
1353_51c8cc589a67c.jpg 500X375 px

jpg  IMG_0307 (500x375).jpg (123.60 KB)
1353_51c8cc619ee26.jpg 500X375 px

Posted on: 2013/6/24 18:47

From NE OH
Love that brookie pic. That one is gonna need a Pepcid

Posted on: 2013/6/24 19:19

From Mount Joy, PA
I agree Pat. Lots of fish with full bellies!

One thing I have to remember to do next time with cicadas is give the fish more time to get the fly in its mouth. My hookup/landing ratio has not been very good. Either the fish inhales it, or it's a swipe. The fly is so big that it really is different than fishing your typical terrestrial.

Posted on: 2013/6/25 8:37

From NE OH
Quote:

wgmiller wrote:
I agree Pat. Lots of fish with full bellies!

One thing I have to remember to do next time with cicadas is give the fish more time to get the fly in its mouth. My hookup/landing ratio has not been very good. Either the fish inhales it, or it's a swipe. The fly is so big that it really is different than fishing your typical terrestrial.

When I give Turd Campbell some goldfish or minnows, he literally has them coming out of his gills he eats so many at once. I want to see that picture with a wild brookie or brown. Cicadas pouring out of him.

Anyway, to your point, not only are the cicadas big, the fish are just stuffed with them. I hope you guys can post more pics like the one above. Neat stuff, no pun intended

Posted on: 2013/6/25 8:46

From Mount Joy, PA
It's easy to see why they are "smitten" for them. The energy they'll expend chasing a tiny trico versus the amount of calories and protein in a cicada makes it fairly obvious. There are going to be some nice, large fish in areas that have been seeing cicadas.

Posted on: 2013/6/25 8:56

From NE OH
....and some really large fish turds

Posted on: 2013/6/25 9:04

« 1 2 3 (4)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com