Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

Re: Cicadas - A Bust

From Lancaster
No cicadas on the Little Skuke at Port Clinton. It had a real nice flow going and the color looked great. I would have loved to toss a Clouser Deep Minnow in there for a couple casts but I didn't even have time to string up the rod. Oh well, there is lots of good WW action to come.

Posted on: 2013/6/21 22:29

From Barto PA
The Po was covered up with fishermen on Thurs. evening as well. I counted eleven vehicles between the storage units and the dam. Almost turned around and left but did manage to find a place to stand down near the T.Pike. Don't know what the big attraction is but certainly not cicadas or anything else as far as I could tell. Plenty of cicadas south of the T. Pike as far north as the tunnel. Traffic was held up for quite awhile in the north bound lanes on my way up due to an accident in the tunnel. Cicadas were flying around and crawling all over the road right to the tunnel entrance. Soon as I came out of the tunnel on the north side there were no more.

Posted on: 2013/6/22 14:46

From Along the Lehigh Above the Gap
Quote:

RRR wrote:
The Po was covered up with fishermen on Thurs. evening as well. I counted eleven vehicles between the storage units and the dam. Almost turned around and left but did manage to find a place to stand down near the T.Pike. Don't know what the big attraction is but certainly not cicadas or anything else as far as I could tell. Plenty of cicadas south of the T. Pike as far north as the tunnel. Traffic was held up for quite awhile in the north bound lanes on my way up due to an accident in the tunnel. Cicadas were flying around and crawling all over the road right to the tunnel entrance. Soon as I came out of the tunnel on the north side there were no more.

Wait what? You are confusing me with your directions in regards to turnpike and tunnel. I live in Bowmanstown and can see the tunnel. Guess I am going to take a quick drive.

Also, I have literally never ever seen so many dang people on the Po before. I had guys walking in between me and W.G. Miller and we were like 25 feet apart. I was ready to freak and had to get out of there.

Posted on: 2013/6/22 15:32

http://bugflingerandfeatherlasher.blogspot.com/

Quote:

SBecker wrote:

Also, I have literally never ever seen so many dang people on the Po before. I had guys walking in between me and W.G. Miller and we were like 25 feet apart. I was ready to freak and had to get out of there.

The internet is a hell of a drug....were they predominantly fly fisherman? That private club I see advertised in the fly fishing mags is above the dam right?

Posted on: 2013/6/22 17:11

Fly and spin. The spin guys returned all the fish to the water so that was nice. Hideway fishing club? Lmao Is that the club you are talking about. It is above Parryville damn. I won't play the spot burning game. However, it was kinda interesting a billion people hit it after a certain lake was outed with cicadas.

Posted on: 2013/6/22 17:26

Yeah, that's the place, saw the ad in Mid-Atlantic FFG. You mean I should cancel my membership check, it's not the blue ribbon water that I had hoped?

Posted on: 2013/6/22 18:18

From Frederick, MD & New Philly, OH
Has anyone on here tried a cicada pattern on a body of water in which they wre nit present? I'm curious if a trout would strike simply out of instinct.

Posted on: 2013/6/22 22:59

Yes and no.

Posted on: 2013/6/22 23:28

From Upper Bucks
Quote:

dc410 wrote:
No cicadas on the Little Skuke at Port Clinton. It had a real nice flow going and the color looked great. I would have loved to toss a Clouser Deep Minnow in there for a couple casts but I didn't even have time to string up the rod. Oh well, there is lots of good WW action to come.

They were up at the DHALO section.

Attach file:

jpg  06.22.2013 012s.jpg (107.93 KB)
5482_51c786a00bbea.jpg 500X280 px

Posted on: 2013/6/23 19:37

From Mount Joy, PA
They are not a "bust", just very localized. I was on a "Boys trip" this weekend and by accident found an 8+ mile stretch of water where large fish were literally jumping out of the water after them.

As far as trying a cicada pattern as a stimulator, I'm sure brookies would hit them.

Posted on: 2013/6/23 20:41

From S.E. PA
They're everywhere I fish and the fish are on them. I caught fallfish,panfish,trout and smallmouth bass that were feeding on cicadas. I wasn't ready the last time this brood hatched,but I am this time. It's great.

Posted on: 2013/6/23 23:16

I have n't seen or heard one anywhere in western Lehigh Valley.

Posted on: 2013/6/23 23:23

From Mount Joy, PA
I'll "spot burn", but the Lehigh Gorge is full of them. From just below Lehigh Tannery to at least Rockport, they are crossing the Lehigh and the fish are eating them willingly. The tricky part is (as Sbecker knows) is getting to them on the Lehigh... If you can access the banks, or are brave enough to float it, you can get on some nice fish.

Hickory Run SP is also full of them...

Coming down the NE Extension of the turnpike, they were all over the place just before the Blue Mountain tunnel heading south.

Posted on: 2013/6/24 9:09

Here I thought they would be everywhere in SE Pa,but it seems it is a very spotty localized hatch.

Posted on: 2013/6/24 12:34

Fished my local in Harriman State Park in NY, and had one of the greatest days on the water ever. The cicadas are intensifying up there and I've been fishing size 8 cicada imitations. Normally you'll catch a handful of seven or eight inchers, but today I hooked three absolute slobs, landing two of them. The biggest was about 17 inches and was one of the best fights I've ever had fishing, period. Three pools later I landed a 14 incher, just as I was already feeling like the luckiest dude ever.

Posted on: 2013/6/24 14:52

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes
No
Thinking about it
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll will close at 2014/10/31 17:56
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com