Cicada question

S

Squaretail

I could have sworn that I read somewhere that the cicadas that came off last year are regional and that other areas of the state are due for emergences as well.
Being I'm evidently one of the few that couldn't fish the entire time last year, I'm really hoping this is true.
Any input?

Im pretty sure that is correct.

Squaretail,
This may give you some info to help. Scroll down to the chart showing the emergences of the different broods. Hope it helps.
Cheers, Mike
periodic cicadas

The emergence last year was the biggest one, I believe, and that one won't happen again until 2025.
There will be more localized emergences coming sooner.
According to the tables I've read, there will be one in 2012, however just in a few of the southcentral counties of the state

dryflyguy wrote:
The emergence last year was the biggest one, I believe, and that one won't happen again until 2025.
There will be more localized emergences coming sooner.
According to the tables I've read, there will be one in 2012, however just in a few of the southcentral counties of the state

If memory serves me correctly, the 2012 hatch is the one that blankets Clarks. I fished it before I owned a fly rod and we used live cicada and had one of the best summers ever.

Boyer

Dan i still got your rod ;-) we need to go fishing :p

Here's a good link to the projected emergences of cicada's.

http://ento.psu.edu/extension/factsheets/periodical-cicada

Thanks Ryan. That link about sums it up.
But 3 more years? :(

Yeah I missed the recent one. From all the talk on here, I'm not missing another one!

and it's 2010 in a few weeks, so only 2 years!

The website I kept checking while the hatch was cicadamania.com. I know the PSU page mentions the 2012 hatch in southern PA, but for some reason I remember thinking I could travel out of state to somewhere else regionally before that.

All I can say about the cicadas is that it was like nothing else I've ever experienced in my life. I don't say that from a flyfishing point of view, but from just from ordinary life that everyone in my neighborhood was forced to experience.

They started around 9 AM once the sun dried things off, first hearing them in the distance on the mountain as a high pitch shrill, similar to the pitch of a cricket but a constant ringing sound. I concluded that this high pitch was the only frequency that made it such a far distance.

When they would pick up for the day in the trees in my backyard, it was nothing like the dog day cicadas. There were so many singing at once that there was just a constant loud sound continuously for the whole day, moving in waves of strongly and weaker concentrations of them. I remember talking to people standing right next to me and having to yell.

One of the days I fished Penns Creek I got there around 8 AM and I couldn't believe how loud it was down by the creek with the mountains closing in on both sides. When I returned to my car 6 or 7 hours later, I closed the door and closing the sound made me realize how intrusive that constant shriek was. I feeling of anxiety came over me, and I put my head in my hands and pushed on my face. The best thing I can compare that in-your-face sound to was the feeling of 70's era horror movies like Rosemary's Baby.

There were probably at least a thousand per tree in my backyard, just about covering the branches. We have this cedar bush in our yard that stands about 8 feet tall. My 14 year old neighbor and his little sister made a game out of hitting the bush and then sending the cicadas for a ride with tennis racquets. The most amazing part of about this was that when they would shake the bush, the number of cicadas that would come off made it look like the entire bush was blooming out into pieces and then in a second or two contracting back as most of the bugs would retreat back in. There would be hundreds, or maybe even up to a thousand that would fly out each time, an incomprehensible amount of them.

This was no ordinary periodic hatch.

Squaretail wrote:
I could have sworn that I read somewhere that the cicadas that came off last year are regional and that other areas of the state are due for emergences as well.
Being I'm evidently one of the few that couldn't fish the entire time last year, I'm really hoping this is true.
Any input?

Dan

I also missed fishing the hatch this year, I was just to sick to go. I was so disapointed, I had fished the hatch before years ago, and knew what I was missing.

If you do find another hatch somewhere( anywhere) count me in!

PaulG

Brood XIX 2011 looks interesting...The graf shows a wide area of intense cicada activity in the southern states..Looks like the Chattooga flows right through it..Last year, I did some research on brood XIX, once 2011 comes, rolling, around I'll be set to go..There are plenty trout streams in those mountains..

Was the most insane thing I have ever heard or have seen the noise of them was so loud and they flew all over you. I could not cast without getting a rip on a cicada. I went thru 14 flies because they got destroyed and ripped apart. Spring was better then penns but I there were some enormous big trout caught.

Don't miss it.

Attachments

• live or memorex.jpg
    live or memorex.jpg
    693.3 KB · Views: 1
In 2004, Brood X was on around Mount Union, Lewistown, parts of Blair and Huntington Counties and thereabouts. Roughly speaking. I chased that around a little bit but didn't have much luck. There were patches of cicadas here and there, but I didn't find a lot and most I ran into were too high up above the streams. But it probably provided some good fishing somewhere, if you managed to hit it at the right place and right time.

Did anyone find much luck with that emergence?

In my experience it was nothing like the Big Brood last year, which was bonkers. And it was 17 years before that, too.

Back