Cicada Spot Burning

englishprof

englishprof

Looks like it could start soon. Would it be considered poor taste if we all agree to report sightings?

http://cosmiclog.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/05/05/18042968-cicadas-on-the-rise-bug-fans-and-scientists-get-ready-for-the-big-buzz?lite

I have quick overview blog post lined up this week about the cicadas. I find it pretty interesting as it they were pretty annoying 17 years ago. Still trying to figure out which of the broods is the the most prolific?

Nooooo....is right! Follow the map: http://www.magicicada.org/databases/magicicada/map.html

I think it would be cool if all anglers who read here would actually chase this hatch around the effected area. It would be like a parade.

These things will emerge as the factors effect them. Now today, then tomorrow. Should have been here yesterday!

PFBC posts the hatch locations and time for the great white hatch fleet and people follow it every year. Why would this be bad?

Furnace Hills, northern Lancaster County-Sal and I were fishing on Saturday, came into one small streatch of the stream and heard a single cicada on the far bank. His chirps were soon responded to by a single cicada on the close bank, right behind us. The plague is coming. Oh yes. And it shall be good.

dkile wrote:
I have quick overview blog post lined up this week about the cicadas. I find it pretty interesting as it they were pretty annoying 17 years ago. Still trying to figure out which of the broods is the the most prolific?

Compiling info for one of these myself. Soil temps are climbing.

Brood II is the most prolific.

I'm all for Cicada Madness 2013 Spot Burning. Since it's in SE PA.

I'd have to say the cicada hatch in Central PA a few years ago was one of the best kept secrets of all time. Really not peep until it was about over.

Central PA hatch was for sure a well kept secret hardly saw a angler fishing them in all the days. I ran out of flies they were destroyed. Im quite certain though the next round Daryl and his other brother Daryl and Johnny Buttnut will be out.

There were quite a few flyfishers fishing the cicadas in central PA in 2008 and the local fly shops were cranking out imitations to keep up with demand. The crowds weren't like the Green Drake circus or the famous sulphur hatches, but there were quite a few people out there throwing big black bugs.

And wasn't it discussed a fair bit on here? I think the info was available but most people just aren't used to the idea of fishing the cicada hatch. The Hendricksons, Grannoms, Sulphurs, Green Drakes come around every year. The cicadas only come out every 17 years.

I hardly saw anyone fishing it until close to the end troutbert and I fished it everyday of it. I don't know where you were fishing to discuss levels of people or how many flies were cranking out of local fly shops because I don't spend much time sitting on the porch of the feathered hook. Yes It was talked about some on here but I remember it being closer to the end of it.

I got into some moderate amounts of them (deliberately) on Cove Creek in Bedford County last time (brood X, I think it was). Fun, but not all that spectacular. I recall reading about people getting some really big fish on top, though.

I hope people will fish the cicadas in the warmwater streams, for bass and carp, and not just pound the wild trout streams in the cicada zone.

This will be a great opportunity to catch big carp on dry flies.

That is my main excitement with this hatch, Dwight. Yeah there are a few local wild trout streams, one in particular, that I'm curious to see during this hatch, but generally the Lancaster crew's (at least Sal and me) excitement is over the 'Stoga and the prospect of catching huge carp on dries.

If we get them in numbers in Lancaster County my focus will be smallmouth and carp.

Haven't seen hide nor hair of one yet. Doubt soil temperatures are close to that magical 64 degree mark. We just had a recent newspaper article about cold soil temperatures delaying srping planting.

cold soil temps...that doesn't jive with all this global warming jargon.

Back