Cheapskate / tightwad braggin thread.....

krayfish

krayfish

I'm a bit of a gear head or so I though until Big Bass appeared on the forum. He puts me to shame but I do love to research, dabble and enjoy hunting down some deals. I did find some good deals and thought I'd compare notes with any of you that might have taken advantage of any holiday deals. (Spent all my Christmas present money for others buying gear for myself. The relative might be upset but I don't have to live with them.)

Rio Gold WF5F fly line for $35 (retail $75)
Redington Purist 9'6" 7wt for $59.95 (retail $119)
TFO Axiom 9' 6wt for $140 (retail $279)

used Redington Surge reel w/ spare spool $60 on ebay (retail $130)
used Sage FLI 490 $ free $. Traded trolling motor to PhilC for rod

Not sure I really needed any of this stuff but at 50% off, I couldn't help myself. Some of this will go to the nephews and I know they'll put it to good use.

If you are looking for something on sale and can't find it..... PM me and I'll let you know if I've seen it on any of the 200 websites I've been on over the last 2 weeks. :)

I got the Rio Gold line too off the Cabela's Bargain Cave. Thanks again to whoever posted that information.

Saved so much money on the fly line I bought a pair of Abel nippers! JK!

$1100 T&T 1309 on speypages for $300 shipped

Sage RPLX+ 11wt for $100 shipped - stripersonline.

vintage Hardy featherweight - $29, now going for $100 plus.

vintage English made Cortland 444 Multiplier $31, plus H&I glass fly rod for $24 - a steelhead outfit for $55.

50 3mm tippet rings - $7.60 shipped, value $25...

next time i re up my tippets rings, they have some 'soft copper wire' spools that look interesting - can be used instead of lead and as ribbing on big streamers or body on stoneflies etc - $6 for 15 yards.

now if i could just find some cheap merino wool....

Krayfish: I got some freaking air to sell you.. $50.00 a bag (large). Not sure you'll use it.

What good is buying things on sale if you're not sure your going to use them?

I was waiting to find a deal on the Patagonia Rio Gallegos, and i found them on Platte River fly shop for $350(retail is $500) during their black friday sale, so i got em. Im gonna get Simms Rivershed boots with the money i saved.

PP,

The fly line is a back up for my current line which may not make it through May if I keep standing on it. The 4wt will go to the nephew since he live 150 yds from Clarks Creek. The Axiom will be dedicated to sink tip line and Muppet Babies. Sad thiing is that I lose interest in chucking meat about 30 minutes into the day. The 9'6" 7 weight will be for steelhead and smallmouth which I expect to do a couple of times a year.I may also underline the 7 weight and use it for indi fishing. The only problem is the Redington reel is too big for that 4 weight.

I tried streamer fishing twice this year from a driftboat with a junkk rod that felt like it might snap trying to pick up the sink tip. You need the right tools for the job. This will also give me incentive do some different types of fishing.

Geebee, you got some sweet deals.

I haven't bought ANYTHING recently. Beat that. :)

My best cheapskate purchase was my wading jacket. Field & Stream brand ripstop rain jacket at Dick's for $25. Been a solid performer for close to 3 years now.

My last bargain find was a set of LL Bean waist high waders from the outlet in Maine while on vacation last summer, I think they were only $45ish.

Redington Sonic seams for $135

The best deals are always on used fly rods - a fly rod made 5 years ago is still helluva rod, and especially with saltwater, salmon and steelhead rods many of them are hardly ever fished.

ha! I have rods that are over 60 years old that are great rods!
And some of my faves are over 20 years old!
a good rod is a good rod, regardless of vintage.
I take pride in being cheap, well, maybe not as cheap as some guys I know, but cheap none the less. Anytime I desire a new rod, I wait till I can get the blank I want for a good price, then build it up myself, saving even more money.
as for reels, I usually hit flea markets, but I HAVE bought some new ones, although never paid full price.
I just love being a cheapskate, it lets me drink better beer!

Wish I could find FF equipment at flea markets.

My last good deal was 444 8wt full sink for 10$ at the Cortland factory store. That place is now a required stop on the way to the SR. Had I not been stranded for a few extra days in Pulaski, I was gonna swing by on my way home and grab a 9'5WT they had on the "no warranty" rack for 40 bucks. My buddy go a new reel for 15 bucks. Love that place!

Boyer

Estate sales are a good source of FF stuff. Small town flea markets are the best - the sellers often dont know what they have.

I found a hardy perfect salmon reel for $20, went home looked it up, went back and it had been sold. I still get cold sweats about the bamboo rod that was next to it....

My gear bag was falling apart, it lasted me 20 years, it was a MacGregor duffel with side and front pockets. Big enough to carry everything that goes with me flyfishing except my rods. I think I paid $25 for it around 1992 at Dicks.

So I started looking around for one and they are $100-$200 from FF retailers. I found one at a discount clothing store that is Over/under (for waders and boots) has wheels and a tote handle made by ful. Its was $100 marked down to $29.

I am very pleased so far. Mine is black
ful-Hybrid-Rolling-Duffel

I prefer to call it being frugal rather than cheap.

But yeah, this is a great time of year to buy things on sale/closeout.
I recently found a new ridge fly line for my 2 weight rod for half the retail price - $35.
Also found a new shortie orvis tac-l-pak vest on ebay for $60. So, Maurice won't be able to razz me about my ratty looking vest at next years jamboree

well, I did score three Cabela's Three Forks fly rods for $95 during their one-day sale last week...a 7'6" 3-wt., a 9' 8-wt., and a 9' 10-wt...that's all I really have at this point.

Back