Centre County Brook Trout Fishing

Foxgap239

Foxgap239

Good morning guys. As many of you no doubt read the Penn's Creek Angler fishing reports. I wanted to second what Bruce says about the brookies starting to color up. Hopefully I have attached the picture properly. It's taken with my cell phone so it's not great but it should give you the idea. I caught this baby on a Centre County Mountain Stream this past Friday along with several others. He is about 10" and that's not bad for a small mountain stream. I do love when they color up! If you are interested, PM me and I'll give you the stream.

Attachments

• Centre County Brookie.jpg
    Centre County Brookie.jpg
    185.1 KB · Views: 7
Yes very nice!

If I were u I'd keep it a secret!

Beautiful Brookie

That is one fine specimen right there!

The are beautiful in the fall. Just keep in mind they are coloring up for the spawn. In fact they may be spawning already. I generally let them go prespawn to do their thing and not to disturb any redds accidentally.

beautiful colors.

They won't be spawning until after Oct. 1 and generally don't spawn until around the middle of Oct. But the left over stockies may be trying to spawn now.

Anyone know if the brookies are spawning now in the mountain streams? I'd like to check out a stream this weekend, but don't wanna mess with them if they're spawning. PM if you wish.

Yes, they are spawning. I saw some on the redds on Sunday, in Cameron County.

In NC PA, here are the approx. brookie spawning times. If you want to keep it simple:

Brookies spawn in the month of October.

The second and third week is usually the peak period.

That's for NC PA. I'd be interested in people's observations for brookie spawning in southern PA. I'm guessing it would be slightly later, because it's slightly warmer there than in NC PA.

Maybe a week or a week and a half later in SE PA. I've seen them on redds in the third and fourth weeks of October here.

Though not necessarily statistically significant, I've seen browns moved around in sections of stream where there normally don't live (but which has good spawning gravel) as late as Thanksgiving down here as well which leads me to believe that the browns may spawn up to three or four weeks later.

I saw some stocked brookies on reads this morning in SE PA.

Back