Central PA Getaway

streamerguy

streamerguy

Got back yesterday from my trip out to Central PA. It was a fun, yet eventful trip. A good amount of fish were caught, and a good amount of rain fell. Well, a LOT of rain fell. I was out of contact with the news and whatnot but apparently State College made the news/Weather Channel because of all the rain/flooding. I adapted and caught fish though.

On the way there Tuesday it was a total downpour on rt80 starting in about Mercer all the way to Bellefonte and into the night. The rain brought up the creeks, but they were still fishable Wednesday morning if using streamers. I did good at Spring using dark colored streamers. Stream eventually cleared up but still had a nice color.

IMG_0948_zpsececfc4b.jpg

IMG_0958_zpsda7d846f.jpg

IMG_0963_zps434beeab.jpg

IMG_0972_zps2d71f1a7.jpg

On the way to fish another section of Spring I made a stop at the Logan Branch, where within the first 5min or so of fishing it I hooked into a nice fish. Was never able to see how big he was, he just hugged the bottom the whole time, but if I had to guess it was probably around 17-18in. Didn't hook into anything else after that. Despite the setting, it seems like a nice little stream.

IMG_0978_zpsf9c2622f.jpg

After lunch I fished a brookie stream and caught a few.

IMG_0999_zps32495f9f.jpg

IMG_1005_zps8db4dcbe.jpg

After fishing for brookies I decided to check out Spring Creek park. The stream was much clearer than the lower stretches in the morning. There I caught 2 smallish browns fishing small nymphs.

IMG_1015_zpsc8a2041b.jpg

After that I hit a small stream nearby and although I didn't catch any, I did spook a good amount of wild browns, including one around 15in. Not the prettiest of streams, but it had fish. Very spooky though.

IMG_1009_zps2ee92d8a.jpg

That evening I checked out a small brownie stream near the cabin. Missed two browns there, each around 7in or so. Didn't fish it that long though, the spider webs were driving me crazy!

IMG_1021_zps2e555d14.jpg

The next day I fished BFC. Withing the first hour of fishing it I got one brookie and one brown. That was it, but I did miss two others and spooked a nice one. Even though I didn't catch a lot I really liked the stream. Definitely want to go back.

IMG_1028_zpsb0276c8e.jpg

IMG_1036_zps086a12b3.jpg

IMG_1043_zpsf6eb1d49.jpg

Also hit a couple of smaller streams in the watershed but overall they weren't that great. There were a few fish though.

IMG_1052_zpse81b7dae.jpg

Later on I fished Spring again and managed 2 small ones on nymphs.

IMG_1054_zps8b1e2399.jpg

The heavy rains that evening blew out the streams and made them muddy just about all of Friday. In the afternoon after the storm passed I hit Spring in the park and got 2 browns on streamers.

IMG_1071_zps31a9699c.jpg

IMG_1068_zps55517f48.jpg

I eventually got my fly snagged up on the bottom, and stupid me decided to wade out in the raging water to get it. Where I got snagged up the water was actually wadable, but since it was muddy I couldn't see the bottom and I ended up tripping on a big rock and took a swim! The camera is toast(although I was able to save the pics) and my phone had was having troubles but is now working fine. Learned a valuable lesson there.

Saturday morning before heading back home I fished Spring again. Water was still high and muddy but better than the day before. Got one on a streamer, then I decided to do the unthinkable, I got out the SPINNING rod on SPRING CREEK! Don't worry, no trebles or live bait, only barbless single hooks. Got some on this artificial minnow thing. Hey, it was my last day out there and I wanted to catch fish lol. Luckily by this time my phone started working and I used that for pics.

2013-06-29081305_zpsff45124f.jpg

Despite the weather I had a fun time. Did a lot of fishing, did a bunch of non-fishing stuff, and just relaxed and got away from it all. And the campground even had a pond, caught some small bass, gills, and crappie there too when everything else was blown out. Had a great trip and can't wait to go back!

Very nice.

Looks like a great trip and you really hit a variety of water. The stream you fished after the first time you went to Spring Creek Park is one of my favorites. There are some very pretty sections, that area in your pic is not one of them but there's a ton of fish there. My avatar is an upper section. Have caught browns to 17" there and a handful of wild bows too. Very underrated small stream.

sarce, I didn't really have much prior knowledge of that stream, but since I was by it I figured I'd give it a shot. I was surprised by the number of fish I spooked there, and like I said I spooked some decent ones too. Tough to fish(at least where I fished it), every time I would just glance at a good hole there would be 5 or more fish scurrying for cover. Got one good hit on a dry but I didn't hook up there.

It is tough to fish it just about everywhere. Some spots are impossible to approach and get a decent presentation, but the fish themselves are not too picky. It was one of the first places I fished as a student here at PSU. Took months before I could consistently go and catch one fish there, but I was still a noob at that point. I kept going back because I always saw tons of fish and nobody else fishing. If you're ever back in the area and want to make another side trip there let me know.

Nice report, glad you had a good time!

Back