Casting Lessons

elonDO

elonDO

Anybody know of good place or good person to get some casting lessons? I live in Lancaster & work in Hershey/Middletown.

I've been fly fishing for about 7 years or so, but primarily self taught like many of us I'm sure. I'm going to be taking a trip to Andros Islands for Bonefish in May 2014 & I have a feeling my casting stroke will fall apart in the winds. I think I could get it done, but would be a fight no doubt. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Also, if there is anybody around that you know for Switch Rod as well.

Thanks!

elonDO wrote:
Anybody know of good place or good person to get some casting lessons? I live in Lancaster & work in Hershey/Middletown.

I've been fly fishing for about 7 years or so, but primarily self taught like many of us I'm sure. I'm going to be taking a trip to Andros Islands for Bonefish in May 2014 & I have a feeling my casting stroke will fall apart in the winds. I think I could get it done, but would be a fight no doubt. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Also, if there is anybody around that you know for Switch Rod as well.

Thanks!

While I don't know anyone specifically in the area Doc, you are making a very wise choice. Most of us that taught ourselves to cast, taught our selves some really bad habits. You will find a good instructor that will bring the physics of the rod to a practical level for you and it will completely transform your casting. When you get to Andros, you will need to be able to make long accurate casts, and yes, wind will play a role. Learning to double haul to quickly shoot out a lot of line will help you tremendously. Your guide will be happy to help you finish off what you need to know when you get there. I wish more guys would take the step you are taking. It will take years off of your learning curve and you will get to spend more time doing the fishing you love as opposed to wrestling with casting.

Maybe Tim Robingson or Geo would have some suggestions as they both live over there? Tim might even be your guy as he was planning on completing training as casting instructor. Just can't remember when that was or is going to be.

I don't know if Bob Clouser could/would help. I'd at least give him a call. He's in Middletown.

PM sent. instructor course complete. Glad to help where I can.

Back