Carry firearm while fishing?

tabasco_joe

tabasco_joe

After reading the "bad experiences" thread it got me to wonder how many people carry firearms while fishing? I have a carry permit and have carried on a few occasions, mainly in an area that is known, and I have been stalked, by wild dogs. I generallly don't carry because I don't like the idea that I should have to. Thoughts?

Nah, I only ever ran into one weirdo on the stream that ever made me a little bit nervous. It was a guy crossing the stream carrying a machete.... I have no clue what he was doing/where he was going, and I didn't bother asking.

Never saw the need to carry my pistol on the stream. ..... but probably a bigger reason for not carrying it is because I fall in so much that I'd probably ruin my gun :)

After reading these stories, I'm starting to think it may not be a bad idea though!!!

I think if you are worried about dangers in wild places and putting together a kit for dealing with them, a gun would be way down the list. I'd rather have a snake bite kit, first aid kit, food, water, good topo maps a compass, knife and survival blanket. Going with a buddy is always a good idea too.

A pistol would just be weight. Your real worry is slipping and falling, getting lost or some other accident.

In reading the "Bad Experiences" thread, it sounded like the stuff that went on were poeple trying to take advantage of someone they thought was alone. If a friend is nearby (or available via walkie talkie), that would go a long way toward keeping you out of trouble.

Then again, you're getting advice about risk from a guy in wheelchair... so maybe you want to talk to someone with a better track record. :p :lol:

Padraic,

If you don't mind me asking, how did the biking accident happen?

Glad to see your recovery is progressing. Wish you the best.

Depends on where and when you fish.
I have never felt the need to carry anywhere in daytime fishing.
Carrying under waders is a hassle,heavy and a good way to ruin a good handgun if not kept clean and oiled.
However as an avid night fisherman who routinely parked in all kinds of out of the way places such as along railroad tracks,way off pavement etc. it was a different situation.While I never felt in danger going to the river,or fishing it could be down right spooky walking back to the car not knowing who might have stumbled on it.In a place such as Montana which was much more gun friendly it could be very reassuring to have protection with you.Since I always fished alone except when my brother or nephew came out to fish with me I felt it was common sense to have protection.Some would say night fishing the Yellowstone,Madison or Missouri alone showed a complete lack of same-.
Anyway my feeling was that it was very unlikely that I would need to defend myself way back in but if I did I had better be ready to give it my best shot.So I was also an avid handgunner and could gunsmith S&W revolvers better than the average gunsmith.
Be that it may I only had to unsheath the one time I related.Even then I never knew if it was a foolish joke by a couple of not to swift young guys who were just trying to scare me or if they intended to rob me.Not smart in Montana to play games at three in the morning.
Down here in Florida its different.I launch my kayak in the dark and since robberies of night fishermen are a fact of life I am leery until I am on the water.I don't carry here as its a different world.

What a weird coincidence.
I just finished replying and went in to watch tv.The FBI was showing the David Myerhoffer story.I believe thats thats the right spelling.Happen in the 70s in the Bozeman,Manhatten and Logan Mt. area.They changed his name but not the victims,Why?
anyway he was the reason a lot of us carried.He shot and killed a Young boy playing on a railroad tressle crossing the main Gallatin river.Then early in the morning around 2am he stole a young girl out of a tent at headwaters state park near Logan.He killed her .He hung himself in jail.
He also killed a boyscout at the same park.Also a Young woman and saved parts of her body in his freezer.
It took about five years for all this to unravel so you can understand why those of us sleeping out anywhere in the area,carried.

Oh boy here we go with the wild dog stories again. All the places I've been fishing I've never even seen a dog in the woods. But I've seen some dog owners that should be shot.

Maybe "snuggling down" with a loaded and ready auto, in 'Nam for two tours every night, led me to feel as comfy with, or, without a firearm along when camping, I don't know. But, I do carry, when out fishing.
One, I fish a lot in two places that are rattlesnake hangouts and yes, I've shot four over the years. I also fish and camp a lot in the upper Idaho Panhandle and Western Montana. Unfortunately, both of these areas are large hotbeds for people even crazier and weirder than Bishop and I are, which is hard to believe, and also is prime panther, wolf, bear and sorry to say, "Stone_Fly"..............even packs of "WILD DOGS"!! ha! But, it's true.
North Idaho has been a huge haven for Pot Farms, for many years and those that "grow" have always kept large, extremely aggressive, watch dogs on their growing patches. And as to be expected, also, over the years many of these "guard dogs" have gotten loose, bred and now pose a very serious problem of "feral wild dog packs" all throughout the upper ends; from Sandpoint to Bonner's Ferry.
I have used my sidearm to scare away everything from oddballs to a few wild dogs and even an overly lovelorn bull elk one time. But, as for bears.....................as long as I can still outrun Bishop, I figure I'm pretty safe!

When I still lived in PA, I did have a concealment permit, but I don't recall ever carring a gun while fishing. But then, I don't know if I would admit it in a public forum if I did. I have nothing against other fishermen that do carry. I know a couple that do. Most anglers are decent people and would not misuse that privelege. It certainly does not make me nervious to know a few of you carry. IMHO, just knowing some anglers carry might make anglers less of a target.

About the only time I carry a sidearm is when on my own property, and that is for the 4 legged varmints. I missed one last night. The wife and I were out walking and I had to wait for her to get out of the way.

I carry when I'm going in the bush, usually bird shot and hollow points. Also have bee sting kit and some other emergency gear depending on where and when I go. I have about 15 minutes to react to a bee sting (or snake bit) before I croke.

I have nothing against anyone who does carry around this area, but I jsut dont think it is really needed...or maybe I have just been lucky enough to never have encountered I need for a gun while fishing in the Mid- Atlantic. I did carry a sidearm during fishing trips to Alaska and Colorado though, so there are times and places where its a good idea...

Stone_Fly wrote:
Oh boy here we go with the wild dog stories again. All the places I've been fishing I've never even seen a dog in the woods. But I've seen some dog owners that should be shot.

I use the term "wild" but I suspect they are actually owned by someone in one of the outlying cabins just allowed to roam. There is a "pack" that roams into my property and well into Bald Eagle State Forrest. I have fired over their heads to chase them off after they came straight in within about 25 feet of me. That time I was hiking along the same stream I fish but carrying a 12 gauge in small game season.

I also have shot two snakes within two feet of me. One was in my barn that swung down from a rafter at my face. The other was coiled between my legs when I took a leak. I stepped into a dark shadow to go and as my eyes adjusted there was a snake. I wasn't fishing on these occasions but was carrying a pistol. It's amazing how fast you can draw and fire when the adrenaline kicks in. Neither of these was when fishing, just in an area of my property that has a lot of snakes. Especially copperheads. BTW the snake in the barn turned out to be a 7 foot black snake and the one between my legs was a 2 foot copperhead. The copperhead didn't strike because the air temperature was about 50.

tabasco_joe wrote:
Stone_Fly wrote:

I use the term "wild" but I suspect they are actually owned by someone in one of the outlying cabins just allowed to roam. There is a "pack" that roams into my property and well into Bald Eagle State Forrest. I have fired over their heads to chase them off after they came straight in within about 25 feet of me. That time I was hiking along the same stream I fish but carrying a 12 gauge in small game season.

I also have shot two snakes within two feet of me. One was in my barn that swung down from a rafter at my face. The other was coiled between my legs when I took a leak. I stepped into a dark shadow to go and as my eyes adjusted there was a snake. I wasn't fishing on these occasions but was carrying a pistol. It's amazing how fast you can draw and fire when the adrenaline kicks in. Neither of these was when fishing, just in an area of my property that has a lot of snakes. Especially copperheads. BTW the snake in the barn turned out to be a 7 foot black snake and the one between my legs was a 2 foot copperhead. The copperhead didn't strike because the air temperature was about 50.

2 foot copper head between your legs while peeing? If that happened to me, i'd think, Oh look, twins! :-D

Feral dogs are a problem at times where I live. Most of them are just strays, and i don't know of any people who where attacked. They are more of a problem for the deer, and smaller livestock.

Never have carried a gun never will. Have run into a few weirdos, but wild dogs is my biggest fear. I lived in vermont for a little while, locals told me to watch out for them and had 2 follow me about a mile once. I also heard quite a commotion of yelps and high pitched barks on stony with my wife and we left right away. Was probably just a few coyotes but I wasn't taking any chances. The problem with feral dogs is that they are usually not as scared of people like most wildlife.

Not to criticize, but why on earth are you killing snakes? Especially a black snake in your barn?

cce114 wrote:
Not to criticize, but why on earth are you killing snakes? Especially a black snake in your barn?

Good point. Black snakes in the barn is a good thing.

cce114 wrote:

Don't generally, it missed my nose by inches and I just reacted. Another case where I stepped in out of the sun into the shade and my eyes weren't yet adjusted. I did have to patch the .357 holes in the roof on that one. As I understand it black snakes eat copperheads so I like having them around.

I think I may shoot a black snake in the barn if the damn thing swung down from the rafters at me. That's straight out of a horror movie. Other than that, I'd coexist.

That reminds me of a story from when I was a kid.

When I was about 14, my friends and I used to take high powered pellet guns through the woods, shooting at groundhogs and whatnot. We also had a pit full of glass bottles that we'd shoot at. My friend was a few hundred yards away, and I distinctly remember the sound:

"Ahhh f%#k! Ahhh :click: :click: :click: :click: :click: :click: :click: :click: :click: :click: :pOP: :click: :click: :click: :click: :click: :click: :click: :click: :click: :click: :pOP: S#$T!"

A large black snake swung from a tree at him. He never pumped a pellet gun 10 times so fast in his life. Got two shots in it at ten pumps and it was good enough to neutralize it.

Back