Careers?

mike_richardson

mike_richardson

Without talking about salaries and things like that i was just wondering what everyone on here does for a living. I was wondering how diversified the jobs are.

I am a mechanical designer for J&J Truck equipment in Somerset. I used to design steel buildings in Imler wich was nice because Bob's Creek was right on my way to work.

True passion would be to be a Biologist or something along those lines. One who is in the field not just behind a desk. But i love designing things so its a toss up.

Anyone know any streams in Somerset i can hit up after work.

I plead the 5th on this one. Looking to have no career if I can find a SugarMommy.

IT Systems Analyst - here. Oh the joys of supporting software and DAUs !

bruno i am your worst nightmare

I get paid to play with fire trucks... :lol:

mike_richardson wrote:
bruno i am your worst nightmare

I like people like you. Job Security. Unless you are an It Project Manager- then you can pound sand ! ;-)

I'm trained in physics and materials science. By trade I'm a metallurgist. I work for a speciality steel company in R&D. My main responsibility is inventing new alloys for various customer applications.

It's pretty cool cause I actually get the rundown on all these different applications. Gotta know what you want it to do before you can make something that'll do it.

JackM wrote:
I plead the 5th on this one. Looking to have no career if I can find a SugarMommy.

Good one. Let me know if she has a sister!

I have a sugar mommy and I freelance out of the house...(video production)...although in the near future I may be running deliveries for the sugar mommy's boss in addition to shooting and editing.

Chicken Rancher, got a herd of free rangers...32 now, adding another dozen or so.. Oh yeah a small fly shop...

motorcycle tourer and flyfisher, when I have spare time I do the occasional remodel job, but it really gets in the way of the important things.

Machinist / Tool & Die Maker
General machine work - no CNC work, one offs and repairs.
Also carbide wire drawing dies - any shape except rounds.
If you ever used an Allen wrench, I make the die, that makes the wire, that makes the wrench. All sizes from .0273 to .875 .

Director of Human Resources most recently...unpaid physical therapist currently.

Frozen Chicken Launcher

No seriously I was an "Operations Manager" for a nationwide cleaning services company.

I had 17 large chain stores, K-Marts and Sears mostly and previously Boscov's before being promoted into a rediculously demanding position affording me no sleep, lots of miles traveled, and no personal space.

A never ending headache where my company phone rang continously with calls coming in from corporate, employees, and store managers. All this while my boss sat on her *** 4 days a week and 6 weeks a year watching boats float past her lawn chair.

Now I am unnemployed trying to get a leg into the photography market without having to go back to full time work.

P.S. I hate the smell of fresh floor wax on VCT. And floor stripper, I hate floor stripper, hate that smell.

Construction manager. Build some pretty crazy stuff, houses in the $3-$4 million dollar range. BTW, we haven't had alot of fun over the last 2-3 years. Have seen a lot of guys let go and good guys companies go under. After 23 years, it might be time for a sabbatical.....a flyfishing sabbatical would be great.

District Sales Manager covering the Mid-Atlantic (PA-NC) region.
Lots of fishing/golfing oppertunities.

Iwas in the printing industry for 30 years, displaced over a year ago, still looking for something in my field, currently supplementing my UC benes with some part-time stream/ecological construction conservation work. Running down permits, quoting projects, on-site project management, building in-stream structures and recently started operating a mini-excavator pulling out invasive species and tearing down a fence during a meadow restoration. I enjoy the work outdoors and the freedom and looseness of a non 9-5 but need steady/permanent income. By Fall I will have to go back into printing or maybe this job will become permanent. Until then I am riding the gubmint teet (partially).

Oh yeah, my wife has the insurance so I guess I gots me a sugar mama.....one that lets me fish too.

All:

- Here goes. I am just starting my third career.

- First career ...

- Graduated high school 1982 .... owner-operator for Mayflower Trucking then company driver/instructor for North American Van Lines. Tough work, long hours, but decent pay. Did this on and off for five years.

- Decided I couldn't drive a semi for the next 30 to 40 years.

--------------------

- Second career ...

- Pitt for BS-Applied Math, BS-Comp Sci.

- Lehigh for MS-Comp Sci.

- Spent 10 years in software industry (COBOL, then JAVA). Went though four layoffs and several cross-country moves. Bethlehem Steel (GMAC Account), Lucent Technology, Quest Comminucations, Hewlett-Packard, and finally American General Finance.

- Moved from Pittsburgh, to Philly, to Denver, to Evansville, Indiana to Syracuse, New York.

- Tired of the layoffs, the cross-country moves, sitting in a cubicle (hamster cage) 10 hours a day, and unpaid overtime (salaried employee). So decided on another career change.

----------------------

- Third career ....

- Been an LPN for past four years. Just graduated RN school last month. Moved from Syracuse, NY to Altoona, PA (family and friends) two weeks ago.

- Am waiting to take PA Nursing Boards in a few weeks.

- Am hoping to score a hospital gig (ICU or Telemetry) somewhere between Altoona/State College and Allentown/Bethlehem area.

- In the meantime, I study and go fishing when I can.

Hope this helps.

John Coxey
(jpcoxey@yahoo.com)

Back