Can you take a fly rod and reel on a plane?

D

dryflyklesse

Hey guys I'm going to florida for a few days I was thinking of taking my 5 piece rod with me. Does anyone know if I can leave it in my carry on bag?

yes you'll be fine

really worried about it?
mail/fedex it to where you are goin

Leave your box of 1/0 streamers in your checked bag.

I was just going to buy streamers when I got down there. Just worried about the rod and reel

It is mostly a size thing for the airlines and what you can carry on the plane. Reels and gear shouldn't be an issue at all. The length of your rod tube is probably the only issue. I would be sure the label the tube with all your contact info if for some reason they don't let you stow it in the cabin. You probably need to check with the airline as each one is a little different as to what size items you can bring on.

Double check that you are not bringing on any knives and such. Forgot that my pocket knife was in my carry on bag and boarded a plane, TSA never noticed it.

A Florida trip is maybe less gear, but shipping is a great idea too. Did this for a fly fishing trip out west several years ago. With airlines charging for bags now, it can make sense in some situations to ship gear right tot he destination your are going.

I have friends that have gotten weapons on board planes, imo the people in charge of the TSA at the checkpoints are more worried about that cute blonde then whats in your bag. Ive brought my 2 piece 8'6 with me on multiple trips without a problem. Call your airline to make sure if your worried about it. And shipping wise, Do not ship UPS Ive had multiple packages lost through them. FedEX is the only one i trust, never lost a single package.

albatross wrote:
Leave your box of 1/0 streamers in your checked bag.

actually that is untrue
flies of any size are allowed through TSA
(i've had multiple boxes of 6/0 musky, pike, or saltwater flies)
print off this page and carry it with you, although i've never had any questions
http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/assistant/editorial_1188.shtm

I checked flies once... and never saw them again

i won't check waders, boots, reels, rods, lines, and flies
sucks getting to wherever and your important gear (expensive) is somewhere else

Still
the best bet (depending on your location) is to ship prior to your trip

Gallatin Airport in Montana once inspected my 2 Winston Lt 5's. Litterally opened them up and pulled the sleeve's out. I think their TSA security is the most strict I've ever encountered out of any airport.

Oh brother. Next hijacking is gonna be w/ musky flies.

Ive flown with a 13' 4 piece. One flight I actually kept it with me in my seat. Also had a box of size 3 and 1.5 steelhead flies. Not quite 6/0 but still, no issues with the airline.

I carry on all of my fly fishing gear except for scissors and clippers. I put my scissors and clippers in a clear bag and put them in my check in luggage. I never had any issues with my carry on rods, reels, vest, flies, waist bags ect.

Ron

I check to be sure. It has been a mixed bag with my travels.
Carred on rods with Delta ,no problem. Checked rod case in LA with American after the curbside handler said he had to check and supervisor told him no carry on. Had Jet Blue agent remove rods and unpack carry on. I'd copy the regs and carry them along. Also call to verify. Some airlines do limit hook sizes.
Had rods taken in Sydney,Australia which was a cluster. It's easier to take guns to New Zealand than fishing rods to Australia. GG

yes you can.
no, they probably won't care if its over limits.
i took a 3pc 7'6" rod. do the math yourself.
if they do, you check it.
if you ship it, you don't deal with any of that.
hooks, files, clippers, scissors, metal rod tubes, and fly line are all potentially considered weapons. willkommen to amerika.

destinations like fl, mt, and alaska are probably more forgiving of this than places people don't goto fish. clipboard mentality: walk with purpose. don't ask, and assume that they're going to accept your gear without question because you do this all the time.

Gallatin field has always been tough-20 years ago I kept setting off the alarm-finally figured out I had steel toes in my cowboy boots.
The other airports just waved me through when the scanner sounded the alarm.

Yea, I forgot to mention the four Muslim students from MSU that suddenly vanished after 9-11. I'm sure that lifted security quite a bit. I don't know if they were ever found.

Another travel tip I use is to wear your loaded vest, sans knives. At TSA, take off the vest and run it through the conveyor belt. Make sure you zip up the pockets.

If you do decide to ship your gear, I recommend FedEx over anyone else. (I work in warehousing/shipping/receiving)

One caveat: make sure you insure your gear. If you don't ask for insurance, FedEx will only cover $100. That's not going to replace many fly rods. Even my Cabela's outfit is more than that.

Dave

midgeman wrote:
Gallatin Airport in Montana once inspected my 2 Winston Lt 5's. Litterally opened them up and pulled the sleeve's out. I think their TSA security is the most strict I've ever encountered out of any airport.

it was montana, they just wanted to see your Winstons!
the TSA people can be very grumpy, really no need for that. just be professional and polite, I mean, you are getting paid. friendliest security I've come across was Narita airport in Tokyo, very high security, searching all bags,etc, but very polite, professional and friendly.
I've had good experiences in Lima peru as well, very polite and professional people.
our agency seems to hire grumps with chips on their shoulders, must be policy.

lestrout wrote:
Another travel tip I use is to wear your loaded vest, sans knives. At TSA, take off the vest and run it through the conveyor belt. Make sure you zip up the pockets.

thanks for the laugh

A word on overhead storage. Many overheads are "double wide" i.e. they are connected, or there is an open wall between adjoining compartments. They are handy for crutches and other long things such as fishing rods that have to be stowed.

Back