Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Can someone help me with this..?

After the post made about how many fish people catch on average got me thinking.. I fish the LL and at least this time of year my days have gone from skunked to a max of six fish. I want to know if there is something I am doing wrong, or is this normal. I am absolutely devoted to straight line nymphing right now as this is the preferred method for competition which I am training for. Does anyone have any general advise or knowledge as to things I am might be doing wrong. I am just using an approximately 18" long piece of amnesia for a sighter and dropping about 5-8 feet below it my anchor fly, and then about 15" below that my dropper. I am only trying to get better so no advise is off limits as long as it is valid. Non location related advise is welcome also. Thanks.

P.S. - I usually fish for about 1 - 3 hours. I am fourteen so time on the water is limited..

Posted on: 2013/3/3 15:30

Re: Can someone help me with this..?

From Lehigh Valley
Don't beat yourself up over numbers.

Even the best comp fishermen don't always put up big numbers.

Are you attending the Youth Team clinic in May?

Posted on: 2013/3/3 15:40

I am 99% sure that I am. I just have to make sure that I don't have anything else that weekend. It is my goal to fish in the Youth Nationals, I likely woulnt make the team as I am new to this style of fishing, however I am told that it would be a great experience and would only make me better for feature years and competitions.

Posted on: 2013/3/3 15:48

From LV
Don't beat yourself up on numbers, but this time of the year a #14 black stonefly nymph ought to work very well at the LL, maybe a #12 too. The LL has a very good stonefly hatch.

Posted on: 2013/3/3 15:57

From Harrisburg
Dear InTheMend,

While it has been decades since I fished the Little Lehigh there was a time when I fished it extensively.

There was a time a long long time ago when in the Winter I fished a size 16 or 18 GRHE and always did well on the Little Lehigh. I found other more different flies that worked as time went on.

Don't be afraid to toss "junk" flies. Flies like sucker spawn, IPW's, chartreuse wooley buggers, etc etc. Those fish get fished hard and yesterday's junk fly might just be today's new revelation.

Regards,

Tim Murphy

Posted on: 2013/3/3 15:59
"Then the coal company came with the world's largest shovel, and they tortured the timber and stripped all the land. Well they dug for their coal till the land was forsaken, then they wrote it all down as the progress of man."

Ok thanks, all the advise is appreciated. How about bright colored nymphs?

Posted on: 2013/3/3 16:14

From Lehigh Valley
Mend,

You've got one thing that's tough to teach - a good attitude.

I'll give you the same advise I gave to a young man that was at the youth world championships a few years ago - he was bummed at being an alternate, and wasn't fishing (Danny Marino).

Do your best to attend the clinic if possible. Watch carefully, and learn all you can. Stay positive, and listen rather than speak. Be a "team player" - teamwork is essential to be successful in this scenario.

If you are really dedicated, your time will come - Danny has a gold medal to show for his efforts. I'm sure the fun, friends, and valuable life lessons he got from being involved with the Youth Team are more valuable to him.

And don't neglect your schoolwork.

Posted on: 2013/3/3 16:19

From Ferguson Twp.
That thread asked about your "best" day not on average, with that in mind it's not really that way. Went out today for two hours missed several and netted one. My post in there was about the most incredible day with a fly rod I've had, haven't done it like that since. Sounds like you're going in the right direction. Keep at it.

Posted on: 2013/3/3 16:46

From Gettysburg
Quote:

InTheMend wrote:
After the post made about how many fish people catch on average got me thinking..

Don't over think this.
I personally thought much of that thread was baloney. I've fly fished hard for over thirty years for trout and I've never had an honest 100 fish day (even back when I fished 8 hour days and counted fish). Not even close. The numbers people were describing were way off the charts and nothing close to routine. Good days can certainly be measured in a handful of fish. I consider double digits on most of the streams I fish to be very good numbers for me. Don't let numbers cloud your enjoyment of fishing.

(I know, I know.....some of you will respond about your 100 fish days and 1000 fish seasons etc. I'm not denying this. My point is simply to describe to a beginner what is typical and to emphasize that even experienced fly fishers don't always chalk up these numbers. I'm just speaking for myself. Your numbers are your numbers)

Posted on: 2013/3/3 17:08

Thanks again for all the advise. I have been indicator nymphing for about six years at this point, but I am trying to get better at contact nymphing. Like I said, all advise is much appreciated.

Posted on: 2013/3/3 17:23

From Dauphin
+1 Fishidiot the CV limestoners are pretty difficult. I know I'd be happy with double digits lol. Ill never get a 100 fish day because I would quit way before that out of boredom. Just seems too easy at that point which does happen sometimes.

My advice is to while your learning to use the straight line method is to learn more about the different methods of straight lining. I often use a bounce technique in faster water that really works well.

Posted on: 2013/3/3 18:01

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes
No
Thinking about it
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll will close at 2014/10/31 17:56
Comments?

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com