Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Camping/Fishing Northern New Mexico

From Honky Tonk Lagoon
Hey folks,

The old lady and I are doing a nice long road trip this summer out west and we are trying to locate a nice mountain stream to camp next to and fish for a couple of days in Santa Fe or Carson National Forest in New Mexico.

Right away, I think Pecos River. Does anyone have a nice little campsite to recommend or a stream to focus our search on?

Thanks,

Michael

Posted on: 2013/5/10 20:41

Re: Camping/Fishing Northern New Mexico
From Gettysburg
The Pecos is nice and treated me well last summer. Mostly wild browns but there are stocked sections. Have some large, grey/white caddis dries. A #12 stimulator with white wings worked well for me. Not sure about camping but there is a lot of public forest in the mountains east of Santa Fe.

Posted on: 2013/5/10 21:38

From Honky Tonk Lagoon
Thanks for the heads up! I think we'll probably end up spending some time on the Pecos, since it's close to Santa Fe.

Posted on: 2013/5/11 8:33

From Pittsburgh
I guess it's not really what you're looking for. But there is a nice campground right alongside the san juan river - called the cottonwoods - that I stayed at once. I really enjoyed it there - and the san juan river is a pretty neat place to fish

Posted on: 2013/5/11 8:41

If I were you I would skip Santa Fe and drive the extra hour to Toas. It's smaller and there is good fishing around and in the rivers within 30 min or so. Carson forest allows camping, there are camping sites in/near town and along some places on the Rio Grande.

Posted on: 2013/5/11 9:26

From South Central PA
I lived out there a few years in the early 90's for graduate school and fished Pecos, Jemez, and Cimarron areas.

Is your wife going to fish, and if so, how rugged is she? If a trooper, I would say the Pecos is more interesting from a fishing perspective and there are a number of streams there where hiking in gets you away from people, and into meadow stretches with heavier fish. Holy Ghost is a state fee campground close to the access points, or at least it was then. Near the mouth of Mora used to have free camping and many people took advantage of that who were cheap and poor like me.

Jemez area is close runner up from a fishing perspective, and depending on crowds or no crowds and time of year, superior. However, hiking in there doesn't do as much for you since access points are numerous. Still very good and very pretty area given the caldera character. Santa Fe is not that much farther away than from Pecos.

Either of those choices puts you near a variety of fairly small, easy to fish streams, mainly wild, but some stocking is done at easy access points where the temps get marginal in mid summer. At least that's how it used to be. At that time, I carried royal wulffs and EHCs and almost nothing else except the occasional big stone if I saw one in a shop I liked the look of.

Rio Grande around Taos and farther up was too far up the road for a student with homework still to be done so I leave that to others. The ubiquitous San Juan is loaded with fish and fishermen in a surprisingly unattractive setting with all too easy access. I know lots of people think it's great. Winter only if you need a fix is my take.

Strongly recommend buying Fly Fishing in Northern New Mexico by UNM press. Also strongly suggest searching blogs. I have seen some photo essays that capture the area well, Pecos in particular.

Posted on: 2013/5/11 10:38

From Honky Tonk Lagoon
Awesome! Thanks so much for the info!

My wife doesn't fish, but she's pretty rugged and is totally content sitting by a stream taking photos and drawing. We're looking for mountains, streams, and solitude.

I'm going to buy myself maps of both Carson and Santa Fe National forests as I think we'll have time to spend in both places. Taos is also on my list. Jemez and Pecos seem like a must.

Thanks again for the great info!

Posted on: 2013/5/11 20:58

RAFTMAN. If you do head to Taos I can give you the names of a few places to check out. They have great restaurants there and there is fishing right near town that I can direct you to.

Posted on: 2013/5/12 17:53

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes
No
Thinking about it
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll will close at 2014/10/31 17:56
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com