Cambria County Steel head run!!

mike_richardson

mike_richardson

They are coming up the Little Conemaugh!!! Not exactly but the closest thing i can get to it :-D .

Hit up the Streams yesterday to test out my new wading boots that my wife bought me and my new Okuma reel that her mom had got me for christmas. I was very optimistic because my "Honey Hole" in summer had been hit hard with some greedy fisherman as well as very low and warm water conditions. I had fished the upper stretch with a friend with now luck. I moved to my favorite spot but my buddy had to leave within 15 Mins.

I continued fishing for about a half hour with a variety of freshly tied nymphs with no luck. I decided i was going to try a white marabou jig with a gold head for the heck of it. I was dead drifting it and would pick it up off of the bottom slowly about every 5 seconds. BOY did it work. I caught 5 trout in roulghly a half hour. Sizes were Brown: 7 or 8", Rainbows: 12",16",17.5", and 19.5". I had caught the big boy in June and posted his picture on the YOUR BEST FISH OF 2010 THREAD. I have been trying to catch him again since June. LOL His color changed to fit the fall and winter conditions. All of the big fish were lethargic but still fought decent considering the air temperature was around 15 degrees.

The Okuma rell performed great. Catching my "Fish of a lifetime" again was awsome. I am very happy that when i hold a magnificent fish like that in my hands my first thought is get my camera, and my second thought is i hope i can catch him next weekend. I hope he makes it through this year. My buddy is off all this week so now he knows they are in there and can get some of these fish.

Seeing how healthy these fish are is showing me that life is making a great rebound on the upper Little Conemaugh. Wich is pushing me more and more to take actions on the lower reaches of this stream.

I hope these pictures make osprey want to look more into fishing this stream than ever. LOL!!

Attachments

• 12-26-2edit.JPG
    12-26-2edit.JPG
    44.4 KB · Views: 8
  • 12-26-9edit.JPG
    12-26-9edit.JPG
    46.1 KB · Views: 4
  • 12-26-12edit.JPG
    12-26-12edit.JPG
    46.8 KB · Views: 4
  • 12-26-13edit.JPG
    12-26-13edit.JPG
    39.3 KB · Views: 4
  • 121-26-3edit.JPG
    121-26-3edit.JPG
    43.5 KB · Views: 4
  • beauty2.JPG
    beauty2.JPG
    336.7 KB · Views: 4
Don't worry , you got my attention. It's good to hear that stream is doing so well considering the shape it was in and the shape of the lower end. Those fish look real healthy and i'm surprised that they made it this long. I have to think they would have made it through till spring at this point. As you move downstream where is the first place where there is pollution or drainage? I would think that is where you would want to start if you were going to try and "reclaim/repair" problems. I never was involved in any restoration projects other than help out with donations. Len Lichvar who is now on the Fish Commission is one of the guys responsible for the clean up of the Stonycreek. I see you are from Portage , go to the POINT stadium and look at the difference between the 2 creeks where they come together , they don't really mix till way downstream below the old Bethlehem Steel Shell Plant. I'd be willing to help with any "actions" planned on the Conemaugh. When Joeseph Johns found this place there were trout in those creeks.

The plan i have been involved with is Tapping 5 mine drainages 2 on troutrun near martin dale, the Hughes Borehole, and the 2 on rt 53. I beleive there have been grants awarded and a man I did water quality testing with in Highschool is looking into best solution after these drainages are connected. I believe they will try to repeat what Stoney Creek has done and install a system of wetlands. If These were to be cleaned up I believe fishing would extend to the town of South Fork and possibly to Johnstown. It would be a dream come true for me. Trout Run runs right through portage and used to be fishable Pre-Mining days.

If these streams would be clean I could see it becoming a top fishing spot in our region due to Wilmore Dam, Lake Rowena, and a few various other streams. I am going to contact this guy in the beginning of the year to see how i can get further involved. And try to make this happen.

It would be cool to see T.U. and T.A.P. come together on this one. Forget about what kind of fishing or restrictions and solely focus on CONSERVATION only. It would show how great both clubs are.

Doubtful but if we could get the ball rolling on this it could really take off. I may try to contact Gary Huluska and see what actions could be put in place through his political duties.

Nice posts Mike and it's great to see local efforts like yours to clean up our once pristine streams. I saw what I think may be a similar situation on the North Branch Blacklick Creek. Elk creek joints it right off of 422 outside Belsano. Elk creek used to run almost pure orange but it appears to be clearing up....That stretch is a decent one especially after the crowds die off. I fished the Little Conemaugh once around opening day years ago below Wilmore dam, maybe I'll have to give it another look.

Mike , the system of wetlands you speak of is what they did on Stonycreek for sure , they are a series of ponds they channeled the drainage into and then planted the ponds with cat - tails , the cat - tails remove tons of impurities , something so simple as ponds planted with plants that remove waste can make the kind of difference that you see at the POINT. They have plans to use the Quemahoning Dam to flush water down through the whitewater park at Greenhouse Park in Benscreek they say a side effect will be a windfall of clean fresh water on the lower creek. The PFBC has stocked bass the whole way down to Hornerstown and they say they are doing well. On the Conemaugh they have a much larger dam to work with in Beaverdale. It really would be cool to see something happen positive for that river. I have a friend from Mineral Point who talks all the time about the potential there. The watershed of that impoundment (mineral point) is clean from the dam upstream and there are trout in the headwaters.

I sure wouldn't have expected to see nice looking fish like that from the little conemaugh. Great to see.
Not long ago, I visited the site of the old dam that burst along the south branch, causing the great Johnstown flood. It's in St Michael,
and the section of stream flowing through there still doesn't look very nice - very muddy with quite an orange cast to it.

OSPREY, We also are going to get scrap LIMESTONE from SAYCOR concrete plant. This limestone can increase the pH drastically and make it go up to 5 and 6 before it enters the wetlands

FLY THROWER- these fish were caught from Casandra to Oil City. The lower reaches of the little conemaugh can see fish in the early season or when the water is up due to rain. The rainwater flows into the mines and raises the PH to about 6 and 7. The fish can live in this but are doomed because there is no food down there. Someone caught on of T.A.P's stocked Paliminos that was 26" in Summerhill.

I also had on 2 native brookies around 4 or 5". I love to see natives in this stream to help show me they are thriving as well. I don't brag about these big boys because they were basically my "Pets" in the hatchery and holding pond. But who can complain when you dont have to go to Spring Creek for year round Fly Fishing. I use this creek as a training ground. LOL

flythrower wrote:
Nice posts Mike and it's great to see local efforts like yours to clean up our once pristine streams. I saw what I think may be a similar situation on the North Branch Blacklick Creek. Elk creek joints it right off of 422 outside Belsano. Elk creek used to run almost pure orange but it appears to be clearing up....That stretch is a decent one especially after the crowds die off. I fished the Little Conemaugh once around opening day years ago below Wilmore dam, maybe I'll have to give it another look.

Is that right where they were doing work on the bridges in the past few years? Have been tempted to fish there to satisfy my curiousity while on the way to or from fishing farther east.

Kev

oh ok, I was unaware of that stretch, never ventured over that way. They look like nice bows and the brownie looked healthy, awesome to see holdovers get a real shot at surviving.

No, you may be thinking of Rt 22 heading west towards Pittsburgh around Blairsville or in that area. I remember going over a bridge under construction and seeing a stream in that area, there was a flea market just past it heading west. I'm not sure what that stream is but it looked polluted from the road at a glance.

Nice fish Mike...Thanks for the report and I'm glad to see that big rainbow is still healthy.

I dont try to impose C&R on anyone but one day fishing that honey hole 2 guys came up with flathead catfish sized spinning gear and a 5 gallon bucket of minnies and monster spinners with no licenses. I didnt want to keep fishing and risk showing them what was in here because i am not going to lie these two fit the "slob/bait fishing type" but to my surprise after i caught an 18" bow and put it back and said it was your turn they sort of smiled. They caught a few fish and released everyone. I guesse looks are deceiveing or maybe me letting that big boy go sent them a message of the benifits.

But... while fishing there one day a guy asked me what i was using. I told him and he says why didnt you keep any of the those fish they were nice. I said i would rather he give him the opportunity to catch them and let them go another day . He said I will let them go alright, into the back of my vest after i crush their head with a rock. WOW!
If that is not having respect for your game i dunno what is?? :roll:

Nice fish Mike, but no brookies? I know Len, he would be the first person to call about what projects are coming up. I haven't heard much lately about the drainage because I'm no longer on the PA Council. But he's the guy.

MIKE , First thing i want to ask is what is T.A.P. are they a local organization involved in this? Second , before i forget , we might want to check with the Doc Fritchey chapter of TU as they have a limestone project in Co-operation with Hempt Bros. quarries , they also have a lime dozing device (like a well) we might want to look at. I have to be honest the prospect of being able to accomplish something good close to home is exciting. I'm disabled and retired , so while not being able to do much physical , i don't do bad just have to say , i have a pick up truck and lots of time. If you want me to i could try and get ahold of Len Lichvar?

T.A.P is actually a fishing group I belong to. I will not go on about them because this is a fly fishing forum and do not want to get anyone fired up. You can research them yourself by looking up Traditional Anglers of Pennsylvania on google. That as in depth as i will go on the forum. But they are a non-profit organization who is able to get grants to help aid in the process.

osprey wrote:
MIKE , First thing i want to ask is what is T.A.P. are they a local organization involved in this?

http://www.tap-pa.org/open_letter.htm:
It is a major concern to this group that we are losing some of the best trout waters in this State to: Fly-Fishing Projects, Delayed Harvest Fly Fishing Only, No Harvest Fly-Fishing Only, Catch and Release, Delayed Harvest Artificial Lures Only, Trophy Trout Projects, and Limestone Springs Wild Trout Waters.

The special interest groups whose financial dealings run deep in our State are receiving more areas of streams and lakes posted for artificial use only. Future generations of live-bait fishermen may not have a place to fish if new sections or whole streams are closed down to live-bait fishermen.

The Traditional Anglers of Pennsylvania is not a "kill all you can catch" organization. This is in large percentage catch and release group. There's nothing wrong with keeping a few fish for supper.

(some minor fluff editing in the above)

Thanks gfen,

I wasnt going to post anything about T.A.P. though. Figured he could get it by himself using google. T.A.P. causes a justifiable and understandable rukus on here because of their "radical" bait fishing views and the fact this is a flyfishing forum I didnt want to start another argument or anything.

The initial information that the website presents doesn't really share their agenda too well, its sort of hidden back in there.

I was equal opportunity enough to include the about not being entirely a "kill all you can catch" organization (their words, not mine).

nice avatar redsun. I've been pounding Keystones forever. LOL not to many people are proud to admit it. :)

Back