Cabin Mid-March

• Thread starter theoriginalnickyp
  • Start date
theoriginalnickyp

theoriginalnickyp

Looking to get out of town for a weekend with wifey, any recommendations? Needs to be within 3 hours of Philly and near streams not effected by the closed season, ie, wild trout or special regs. No other attractions needed as we plan to hole up in the woods and hang by the woodstove.

Penns Creek Bed & Breakfast is within reach. But check and see regs on that particular stretch of water near by.

If we didnt look like a nat geo life above the artic circle documentry, id say try the Patomic and its tribs , but then its a warm water fishery and most of them are living popcicles. How about dinner in a real nice 5 star hotel and buying the new Flyfilmfest 2015 and watching it on a 50" lcd?? No? ok stretch it to a 7 day fly to Brazil and fish the ffo Rio Marie' all 497 miles of her. Does 20 # Peacocks stirr your iceyness?? Good luck with that.

My father is currently working on a cabin that sits on their 100 acre farm outside of Lewistown, PA. It won't be ready this spring, but by next March it should be open for rentals. A little history. This small house/cabin is from the 1840's and will be a 2 bedroom place with rustic charm. It will probably sleep a max of 6, I'm guessing. The good news is that it sits a mere few hundred yards from the Juniata River and is a mere 10 miles or so from 4 good wild Brown trout steams open to year round fishing. The streams of state college region are also a shirt drive and there are small mountain brookie streams not too far away either. I will post pictures here of the progress soon. It is close to many fishing opportunities with both great trout fishing and smallmouth bass.

Pocono Manor has fly fishing, as does the Allenberry Inn

There are some cabin options (limited) at Ping Grove Furnace State Park and Caledonia SP. These are about 2.5hrs from Phila in SC PA. Pine Grove is the better of the two for fishing: it's about 15 minutes to Yellow Breeches and a bit further to the CV streams. There are Class A and open all-year ATWs located right in the park (although they're currently frozen - might open up in a couple weeks).

Back