HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 (3)

Re: Cabelas coming to Erie!

From Mont Co, Pa
Quote:

jreichel wrote:

Oh by the way another fine local fishing establishment that you should consider doing business with is Fish USA mostly an online entity but they do have a brick and mortar store in Erie. I stop in there often when I am in the area. They are a fine example of American free enterprise and ingenuity and in my opinion compete in some areas with Bass Pro and Cabelas!

And he steps down off the soap box! =:~)

My first experience with these folks was interesting. I ordered size 10 hip waders via 3 day delivery and recieved size 11s in a box marked size 10s. Called them, and they sent me my 10s 3 day delivery with return postage for the wrong boots. They then credited my account for the original postage for the inconvenience. Good costomer service!

Posted on: 2013/3/30 20:02

From Bucks County or Bridgeville
Quote:

hendeylathe wrote:
It may just be a rumor, much like the long rumored Bass Pro Shop at the Meadows Racetrack in Washington,Pa. Until earth is moved and a building goes up with their (Cabelas) name on it, don't believe anything.

The Bass Pro is true. I have had the blue prints in my hands. There is some issues going on, just give it some more time.

Posted on: 2013/3/30 20:54

From Johnstown, PA
The Bass Pro shop in Harrisburg is pretty nice. They have a whole section of the store called White River Fly Shop , like a store within a store.

Posted on: 2013/3/31 8:15

From Bethlehem, PA
Full disclosure: I worked for Cabelas for about 4 years, and while there were many things that I didn't care for about working for a "Big Box", there were a lot of good things too. I was always impressed with how it got started.

Cabelas got its start when Dick Cabela. who was in the furniture business, went to a trade show and bought a bunch of flies. He took out an ad in an outdoor magazine for " 12 hand- tied flies -FREE, just pay postage and handling". Started filling orders from his kitchen table with his wife and eventually his brother, Jim. A true kitchen table enterprise. The company was still owned and run by Dick and Jim until about 6 years ago, when they took the company public as a way to fund expansion etc. Jim is still the largest individual shareholder. I am not a huge fan of big box stores, but some of the best flyfishermen I know work at the Hamburg Cabelas, and a lot (not all) of the people that work there are passionate about the outdoors. While you will probably never find the local, specialized equipment found in some in areas or small stores, they do offer lots of jobs with benefits, and generally spur more local development. I still buy from them but also try to support local shops with good service.

Posted on: 2013/3/31 9:42

I have never found any store, small mom & pop or big box, that carries everything. I have found good sales people in the mom & pop shops, I have also dealt with idiots. I have dealt with good people in big box store, I have also dealt with idiots. So I shop around, I dont limit myself to buying from one place. Whoever has the product at the best price gets my money.

Good luck, Tony

Posted on: 2013/3/31 15:44

From Erie Co.
not going to happen
erie losing 900-950 jobs from GE plant too.

Posted on: 2013/4/9 23:02

From Howard Falls
^+1
local news ran a story that there's a conflict w/proposed site landowner so Cabelas bailed. Millcreek township is shopping other properties to Cabelas and the whole project is TBD.

in other news, the GE downsizing will affect not only several hundred workers, but also DOZENS of other shops around erie who manufacture HUNDREDS of parts and assorted gimbles that go into the GE stuff... Alot of those shop guys and their kids on the water year-round up here.

Posted on: 2013/4/11 18:29

From Jefferson Hills, Pa

Posted on: 2013/7/11 8:45

« 1 2 (3)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes 95% (139)
No 0% (0)
Thinking about it 4% (6)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/10/31 17:56
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com