Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 »

Re: CDC Trico Comparadun

From Lehigh Valley
I'm not big on using leader straighteners, especially on tippet.

Just give it a good stretch, and count to 10.

Those rubber lined leader straighteners work by creating friction (heat), and stretching the leader while doing this.

There's a better way.

One of the neat tricks I learned from hanging with the comp guys was to boil leaders. Coil up your leader by holding the tippet end, and wrap around your fingers. When there's like 6" left of the butt section, wrap this through the hoop along the circumference. This is how store bought leaders are wrapped.

Drop this coiled leader into a small pan of rapidly boiling water for 5 minutes. After 5 minutes, take it out with a fork, and uncoil it again. Immediately give the entire leader a good stretching. You'll find that the leader straightens completely, with no memory at all.

Boiling and stretching a leader this way aligns the molecules of the leader, while not harming it at all. Allowing it to cool in the straightened configuration helps "set" the leader in it's new straight condition.

Doing this also has side benefits. The boiled leader is "stretchier", and more supple. It adds a bit of shock absorption. It helps reduce microdrag because of the added suppleness

The new "set" lasts for a week or so, and you can re-boil the leader many , many times. Give it a try - it works!

Posted on: 2013/7/1 10:15

From Patterson twp, Pa (Beaver Falls)
Great info on this thread. I envy those of you who are trout fishing locally in July. When dealing with micro-drag, try just adjusting your approach angle by a few feet up or down stream. Sometimes that's all it takes to get it more in the desired current. I enjoy fishing dries downstream, but also increase the ability to miss hookups from setting directly out of the fishes mouth. I feel I get a better drift, but have to use some slack and stack casts and that can hurt the accuracy of the drift.

Posted on: 2013/7/1 11:51

From pennsylvania
Ok, I was with you. Up until this.

Quote:
Heritage-Angler wrote:
... The boiled leader is "stretchier", and more supple. It adds a bit of shock absorption... It helps reduce microdrag because of the added suppleness

If boiling the leader allows it to set straight because it "aligns the molecules of the leader", how does this add "suppleness" and reduce micro drag.
Everything you said up to that point I agree with, but I can't see the science in making the leader (and tippet) softer by boiling it.
Stretch is inherent in all polypropylene and nylon monofilament lines. Fluorocarbon, too.
Setting the hook on a very light tippet without snapping the knot connecting it to a very small fly is an inexact science.
Any advantage, perceived or otherwise, is greatly appreciated.

Posted on: 2013/7/1 21:58

From Lehigh Valley
Quote:

gutcutter wrote:
how does this add "suppleness" and reduce micro drag.

Try it yourself - you won't hurt the leader. You'll see what I mean pretty quickly.

Here is a link to an Arkansas based forum that discusses this. The poster "FlyFishAR" is John Wilson. He was the head coach of the Youth Team USA flyfishing team in 2007, and was the person that first told me about boiling mono leaders.

Posted on: 2013/7/2 7:57

Edited by Heritage-Angler on 2013/7/2 8:23:23

From Southwestern NY
yeah definitely a very informative thread right here. i love being 3 steps behind the front guys, by the time i have questions you guys are already talking about it. also the great thing of living in the great white north(well almost, new york), our hatches are weeks later. it's sort of like seeing the future!

though after my brief moment at the newbie jam, i though i was done with the tricos, well now my buddy and i will be heading to the kettle creek vasinity and i'm thinkin i better have some of these tiny things with me.

Posted on: 2013/7/2 14:04

From Philadelphia
DJ, now that I've been tying for many years, I think the smaller flies are easier to tie. Harder to see (both on the vise and on the water) because years of experience also means you've aged and the old eyes ain't what they used to be! But if you can tie them and see them and hook a fish on them. NOTHING LIKE IT!

Game on!

Both of these were caught on my tricos and neither came to hand easily but damn were they fun!

Attach file:

jpg  Bow.jpg (34.87 KB)
5296_51d3204f68840.jpg 480X360 px

jpg  brown.jpg (36.00 KB)
5296_51d3205784ab8.jpg 480X360 px

Posted on: 2013/7/2 14:32

Edited by Foxgap239 on 2013/7/2 14:48:19

From Southwestern NY
^^^purdy!

Quote:
But if you can tie them and see them and hook a fish on them. NOTHING LIKE IT!

well come hell or high water i'll have two of those three things listed and a good few of these for tomorrow's adventure. my only question are my sz 20's small enough. the only thing i have to compare it to is the if i remember correctly sz 22 that volkenurse gave me at the jam. here they are left to right, a pattern i found in youtube(tails will be getting changed), the one i got from volkenurse, and a bare sz 20 hook i have a dozen or so of.

Resized Image
Untitled by dj.berg, on Flickr

Posted on: 2013/7/2 14:39

my thoughts and conclusions. I think the rat and Al's trico are oriented to the LL as you can't wade and you can see them easier up on the bank. they are invisible to me when I'm down in the water. that's a theory. i fish them but i dont like to. a conclusion is that you use the finest tippet available. at least I do. 7 or 8....9 if i can get it. to me 6 on a 24 throws the drift way off. that's in the Leigh valley of course.

Posted on: 2013/7/2 14:42

From Philadelphia
Quote:

DJBerg wrote:

well come hell or high water i'll have two of those three things listed and a good few of these for tomorrow's adventure. my only question are my sz 20's small enough. the only thing i have to compare it to is the if i remember correctly sz 22 that volkenurse gave me at the jam. here they are left to right, a pattern i found in youtube(tails will be getting changed), the one i got from volkenurse, and a bare sz 20 hook i have a dozen or so of.

DJ, I can only tell you I tie and was using size 24. Last year I got away with 22's but 20 may too big although you could use the size 20 and tie them smaller as if they were 24's.

Posted on: 2013/7/2 14:58

From Lehigh Valley
Quote:

JohnPowers wrote:
my thoughts and conclusions. I think the rat and Al's trico are oriented to the LL as you can't wade and you can see them easier up on the bank. they are invisible to me when I'm down in the water. that's a theory. i fish them but i dont like to. a conclusion is that you use the finest tippet available. at least I do. 7 or 8....9 if i can get it. to me 6 on a 24 throws the drift way off. that's in the Leigh valley of course.

Yup Fox, everytime this subject comes up, it should be addressed.

First - the no wading regs on the Little Lehigh are no more. They've been gone for a couple of years now.

Second - fish are not tippet shy. They're drag shy. If they can see 6X, they can see 8X. A better way to eliminate drag is to extend the tippet on your leader, and/or use better technique. There's several ways to defeat drag. Better leader design (not ultralight tippet) is one way. More supple materials built in to the leader (think Harvey slack leader design) are a good choice. Slack line producing casts are another.

7X - not really necessary, but it's the lightest tippet I ever use (rarely).

8X - not necessary, and is more trouble than it's worth. Not good for the fish either, as it promotes unnecessarily long fights to land fish. Landing and releasing a fish quickly is crucial to their survival. Add to this the fact of warmer water temperatures often found in fishing tricos, and you can see the wisdom in choosing otherwise.

9X - this is a Varivas marketing ploy. Their 9X is actually between 7X and 8X in diameter. People that buy and use this stuff have been conned. NOT smart.

6X tippet works the same everywhere else as it does in the Lehigh Valley. Learn to get a drag free drift, and it's the lightest tippet you'll ever need. People that choose to use ultralight tippet have made a bad choice. Skip the 8X and 9X (or lighter) - you don't need it. Use 7X for only the tiniest of midges if you absolutely have to.

Always remember, we don't have to catch fish, but we do need to protect the resource.

As for not being able to see the fly, there's several options. Try dropping the small fly off of a larger, more visible pattern. Or use a greased leader technique. Apply floatant to the whole leader except for the last foot or so from the fly. Watch the "s" curves of the tippet on the surface, and when a fish takes your fly, the curves will straighten out. Set hook, land fish. Easy.

Posted on: 2013/7/2 19:40

From Abington
Quote:

Foxgap239 wrote:
Quote:

DJBerg wrote:

DJ, I can only tell you I tie and was using size 24. Last year I got away with 22's but 20 may too big although you could use the size 20 and tie them smaller as if they were 24's.

24's are probably the better choice...unfortunately DJ, I only had the 22's that day. I tie the 22's when I'm to lazy to go smaller.

Posted on: 2013/7/3 6:04

From Philadelphia
Had a little impromtu mini Trico jam at the LL today. I believe everybody caught fish and if I'm not mistaken most were caught on this pattern.

I think the others will agree it's a good pattern. Try it!

Posted on: 2013/7/4 13:42

From Lansdale
The "Impromptu Jam" was great. I lucked out running into you guys yesterday. Thanks for the coaching and trico, Fox.

Posted on: 2013/7/5 6:31

From pennsylvania
Quote:
fish are not tippet shy. They're drag shy. If they can see 6X, they can see 8X.
7X - not really necessary

Most of the time.

Quote:
As for not being able to see the fly, there's several options. Try dropping the small fly off of a larger, more visible pattern.

The indicator fly technique will often produce more drag - call it micro drag if you want, but drag is drag.
I use this technique only in fast and deep riffles where big fish often feed in heavily pressured areas.
Learn to see your fly when fishing flat water and it will pay big dividends.

Posted on: 2013/7/5 8:46

we'll agree to disagree. why you'd fish over 10 inch fish with a 24 fly and not use the lightest tippet available is a mystery to me. when I'm rolling directly downstream I want to noodle that line out with a fine tippet. ive found drag and tippet stiffness are related. I rarely fish over those bruisers on the LL. Just don't see the 6x loyalty but then I've only been at this for fourty years and I'm a chump for clever marketing.

Posted on: 2013/7/5 14:42

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Do you keep a fishing journal?
Yes 52% (85)
No 47% (78)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/8/22 12:38
2 Comments

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com