Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 »

Re: CDC Trico Comparadun

From pennsylvania
Quote:

afishinado wrote:
Al Miller's Trico
Simple to tie and very effective everywhere I've fish it. I seem to get less refusals with it than the heavily winged spinner patterns.

Without a doubt. I am very partial to them too. I have a few rows in my trico arsenal dedicated to them (and their variations)
Resized Image
Here are a few variations that I tie:
Parachute
Resized Image
Clipped on Bottom
Resized Image
Hacklestacker
Resized Image
The Hacklestacker variation has been, far and away, my best Al's Trico type pattern

Posted on: 2013/6/29 11:52

From Philly
Quote:

gutcutter wrote:
The Hacklestacker variation has been, far and away, my best Al's Trico type pattern

Fishing this morning, all I was thinking was how a hackle stacker pattern on a curved hook would be perfect to get a little lower in the film...I couldn't buy a hit on my clipped hackle spinner.

Gotta give it a shot now (and hope I don't pull my hair out in the process).

Posted on: 2013/6/29 13:01

From Philadelphia
Got out myself today and was able to get fish on both the CDC CD and the Spinner. Nothing big but any fish on a size 24 and 7X can be fun. I will be tying up more spent wings!

Posted on: 2013/6/29 13:26

From Clinton County, Pa.
Quote:

Foxgap239 wrote:
Got out myself today and was able to get fish on both the CDC CD and the Spinner. Nothing big but any fish on a size 24 and 7X can be fun. I will be tying up more spent wings!
+1 George on the size 24 flies and 7X tippet. Nothing but FUN!

Posted on: 2013/6/30 12:33

From Philadelphia
Trico pattern update. Got out yesterday to a local trico stream. Those of you who know me know what time I got there. Had the place to myself for about 2 hours and then someone opened gates somewhere and fisherman were everywhere including a guy who literally walked right behind me while I was casting that I had to pull up short to not hook him. I was concentrating on one fish who had played with me for about 15 minutes and did not notice him until it was almost too late. I sighed and went back to casting, I finally got the right drift and he took it. I turned to fight him and the guy had waded in not 20 feet upstream from me. Basically took over my pool. I lost the fish because I wasn't paying attention to it but trying to shake off the surprise of how close this guy was. I reeled up and left the pool before I said something stupid. Anyway, if you fish the stream I fished (and I'm sure most of you know what stream I speak of), you have to expect that. Probably a really nice guy but just doesn't know any better.

Anyway, the purpose of this post is to say that yesterday cured me of the fallacy that my patterns need to be improved. No, they don't, my drift simply needs to be right. Afishinado said above about getting less refusals on the Al’s Trico. Up until yesterday that was my issue too and I started going off the deep end about better patterns. Even went out and got a book about patterns on pressured water. I caught fish yesterday on my CDC Comparadun, CDC Spinner and my old Antron winged spinner. It was all about drift and I didn’t even need to go below 7X (I hope Afishinado and H-A are proud). I had many fish refuse my flies yesterday and all but one were finally taken by the same fly they refused when I got the drift right. Yesterday was an education for me. So newbies take note, you never stop learning!

Great day on the water!

Posted on: 2013/7/1 7:24

From Lehigh Valley
Fox - You are truely a fish catching machine. That's why I was so hard on you about the tippet thing.

Of all people, you're the last one that needs a crutch - except maybe for walking in waders.

Posted on: 2013/7/1 8:47

From Philadelphia
Quote:

Heritage-Angler wrote:
- except maybe for walking in waders.

You had to go there, huh! Okay just for that no more entertaining falls while you are around!

Seriously I know exactly what you and Tom were saying. It was implanted in my brain except when I got to smaller flies which seems stupid when I sit back and think it through. The drift should be even more crucial on smaller flies, some people are just thick headed (which helps when you hit your head when you fall ) I guess.

Posted on: 2013/7/1 8:50

From Chester County
Now George, all you need is a Renzetti Traveler.....and you're THERE!

Posted on: 2013/7/1 8:58

From Philadelphia
Quote:

afishinado wrote:
Now George, all you need is a Renzetti Traveler.....and you're THERE!

I got me a Renzetti, That's all I know how to tie on. If somebody takes it away from me, I'll have to take up golf!

Posted on: 2013/7/1 9:01

From Philadelphia
Tom and Ed, now that you got me thinking you have to deal with the consequences!

The more I think about it the more I believe lighter tippet (7X and below) might actually be more of a micro drag issue than larger tippet. I know this thread isn't about tippet but since I'm the OP, I feel some license to be able to divert a bit.

Any thoughts?

Posted on: 2013/7/1 9:08

From Chester County
Well, I guess you're THERE. Welcome.

Posted on: 2013/7/1 9:11

From Chester County
Quote:

Foxgap239 wrote:
Tom and Ed, now that you got me thinking you have to deal with the consequences!

The more I think about it the more I believe lighter tippet (7X and below) might actually be more of a micro drag issue than larger tippet. I know this thread isn't about tippet but since I'm the OP, I feel some license to be able to divert a bit.

Any thoughts?

Interesting. Why?

Posted on: 2013/7/1 9:13

From Philadelphia
Well here's my train of thought (of course, we all know my train is sometimes nowhere near a track). The suppleness of light tippet may cause the fly to move in odd ways that might be corrected by stiffer 6X tippet. Plus really light tippet coils so easily near the fly from casting and such that it might add mass to cause drag where un-coiled tippet may not.

Be gentle!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted on: 2013/7/1 9:18

From Chester County
Remember George, "experience" actually means you made more mistakes than anyone else.....

Interesting theory. Don't know for sure, but I can tell you when you cast with "S" curves in a narrow current lane, if the "S" spills into an adjacent current lane, the fly motor boats back and forth...not good.

Keeping your tippet all in the same current lane is important. Ditto when trying to use two flies (for better visibility) when midging. One drags the other.

Posted on: 2013/7/1 9:32

From Philadelphia
I fished Sat and Sun this week on two different streams with two different methods. I nymphed using 5X Sat and Tricos with 7X on Sunday. I hooked fish both days and had the hook get dislodged during the fight. When that happned on Sat and I checked the fly I did not notice anything strange about the tippet. Yesterday after I lost fish and hook came free and I checked the fly I noticed the line had colied close to the fly. I've also noticed this while tying new leaders and straightening the tippet where I went too far and the tippet sprung out of the straightener. On larger diameter material nothing happened to the material but on smaller diameter it coiled and I had to straighten it very carefully because the smaller stuff seems to hold that "pressured" coil much more than the spool memory coil. I'm juust wondering if that coil acts like a spring and does not allow a very light fly to move properly.

Posted on: 2013/7/1 9:44

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes
No
Thinking about it
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll will close at 2014/10/31 17:56
Comments?

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com